Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 07-19-2015, 01:13 PM   #1
Dave B

Trailer pops GFI's when plugged into power

We have a new to us Sprinter. The good news is that all the electrical components seem to be working fine. The bad news is that when I plug its power cord in to any of the circuits in the garage where it will be stored, it immediately pops the garage circuit GFI. I've tried it on more than one circuit and they all blow, so it appears the problem is with the trailer. If plugged into a non GFI circuit there doesn't seem to be any problem.

I'm definitely not an electrician, but from what I can find out it takes hardly any leakage at all to trip one of these circuits. Since it's the main power line, it could be a nightmare trying to find what individual item in the trailer is causing this.

Has anyone else experienced this problem and does anyone know of a reasonable solution?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dave B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 01:38 PM   #2
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave B View Post
We have a new to us Sprinter. The good news is that all the electrical components seem to be working fine. The bad news is that when I plug its power cord in to any of the circuits in the garage where it will be stored, it immediately pops the garage circuit GFI. I've tried it on more than one circuit and they all blow, so it appears the problem is with the trailer. If plugged into a non GFI circuit there doesn't seem to be any problem.

I'm definitely not an electrician, but from what I can find out it takes hardly any leakage at all to trip one of these circuits. Since it's the main power line, it could be a nightmare trying to find what individual item in the trailer is causing this.

Has anyone else experienced this problem and does anyone know of a reasonable solution?

What type of plug are you plugging into..
Old 07-19-2015, 01:53 PM   #3
Dave B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
What type of plug are you plugging into..

Not sure what you're asking, but I'm going from the trailer's 30 amp plug, to an adapter taking it down to a standard 110 socket. From there I have a 12 gauge power cord into the GFI outlet. Is that what you mean?

Old 07-19-2015, 01:58 PM   #4
Javi

Dave.. see my pm
Old 07-19-2015, 02:23 PM   #5
dcg9381

GFCIs can be tricky and are really sensitive. For giggles, try flipping all of the 120v breakers to the OFF position in the RV and then plug it in. You'll still be powering up things, but see if that holds.. If it does, report back...
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 03:20 PM   #6
X-Treme

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcg9381 View Post
GFCIs can be tricky and are really sensitive. For giggles, try flipping all of the 120v breakers to the OFF position in the RV and then plug it in. You'll still be powering up things, but see if that holds.. If it does, report back...
I actually ran into this same problem just this weekend. My buddy has a 20amp GFI plug on his pole and I had to run a 100ft power cord. If I had the main breaker in my Alpine turned off, all was good. When I turned ONLY the converter on, still good (drawing 9A). As soon as I turned on my "general" breaker, the GFI on buddies pole popped. I ended up just using my 2000w gennie and never had another problem. Although, I did away with the 100ft cord. Display with the gennie still showed that I was only drawing 9a with many more breakers turned on. I also tried 2 different cords (both 100ft).

We determined that the 100ft cord was just too long, but I'm not so sure.

PS.... I also tried plugging into his trailer with both 100ft cords, and popped the breaker on his trailer.

Sorry for the hijack.
Old 07-19-2015, 07:00 PM   #7
gtsum2

Same thing happened to me last week...turns out I was leaving the electric water heater on outside...as soon as I plugged in I was drawing too many amps. Once I shut it off the amp draw went way down
Old 07-19-2015, 07:06 PM   #8
Dave B

Talked by phone with Javi in central Texas (thank you, Sir!!) and we tried several things. The biggest issue seems to be around the General circuit which pops as soon as it's turned on. After Javi and I talked I tried several other things, however, and the crazy thing pops with the Gen off when I turn the blower on the furnace/AC to the on position. It also pops with all the circuits off (except the Main) when I simply plug the extension cord into the shop wall. Just to make sure, I backed the trailer up tight to the shop and plugged it in without an extension cord and it seemed to make no difference.

The long and heat finally got to me and I decided to call it a day. I'll give it another go in the next day or two.
Old 07-19-2015, 08:10 PM   #9
X-Treme

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsum2 View Post
Same thing happened to me last week...turns out I was leaving the electric water heater on outside...as soon as I plugged in I was drawing too many amps. Once I shut it off the amp draw went way down
I have a Progressive Industries EMS, and it said I was only drawing 9A. And I was fine on a 2000w generator. Doesn't make any sense that it had anything to do with my trailer. Water heater breaker was off. ONLY breaker that was on was converter. No problem. Turn ONE more breaker on (general), and that popped it. Didn't add any extra amperage draw tho, according to my EMS.
Old 07-27-2015, 05:07 PM   #10
Tbos

Water heater caused mine to pop. Turned it off and can run the A/C on the 20 amp circuit from the house. You may want to contact an electrician to make sure you're not having problems with the actual house power. It could be your GCFIs. Sometimes they need to attached by the screws instead of having the wires pushed in the back. For what it's worth I have a vacuum that always pops one of my GFCIs. Works in all the others. Sometimes they are just bad.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote