Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-28-2015, 06:08 PM   #1
binfordtools

Fastway E2 Adjustment Help

Newbie here, don't know much of anything about towing or WDH. I have a 2015 Ram, 1500 towing a 29RBK (around 6500lbs dry). I use the Fastway E2 WDH that was set up by my dealer.

My Ram has coil springs and does sag a bit when the trailer is hooked up. Today, for the first time I took it on a test drive on the freeway. I know that I am not use to the feeling of towing with this set up, but it seemed very sloppy, and really tossed my Ram around the freeway at 60-65MPH. Freaked me out and my wife.

I came home and was going to move the adjustment on the trailer up one-hole to try and dial in a bit more sway control. When I did this, even when I unloaded the camper weight by using the tongue jack, I could only get one side hooked back up, and with that I actually bent the cheater bar! The other side, there was no way I was going to be able to get this hooked up. I ended up putting them back to the position that the dealer used.

My question is, should it be that difficult to install the sway bars? I'm pretty strong, and tall (read: leverage) so if I can't do this, I have to imagine something is wrong.

Appreciate any advice.
binfordtools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 07:01 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

If you hitch the trailer up, lock the ball on and then jack the tongue up, you should be able to get enough height to place the bars on with very little effort. Maybe your not on level ground? You may need to place a block under the jack pad to gain extra height.

When you look at the ball, without the trailer hooked on, what angle is the ball at? If you draw an imaginary line through the ball from the top center through the shank it should be tilted back about 10-15 degrees.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 03:43 AM   #3
Seabee

How many washers are installed on the hitch head?
Old 06-29-2015, 08:23 AM   #4
cw3jason

What is the hight of your front wheel well from the ground both unhooked and hooked. The front should not rise more than 1/4in. Is the trailer level when connected to the truck. Measure trailer frame to ground both front and back. This should be equal to slightly nose low. If it is nose high, drop hitch head down a hole or 2. Then tilt head down by adding washers behind the big rivet. Next adjust spring arms so front of truck is same hight loaded or unloaded .

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
B&W Patriot 16k fifth wheel hitch
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote