Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 04-23-2015, 09:01 AM   #1
dsttexas

Remote control for jacks not working

2015 Montana High Country, model 293RK. The brochure says the remote control provided will run the front/rear jacks, awning, slide outs, and outside "scare" lights. All fine except it doesn't work the jacks, which is the most needed remote feature during hook up and disconnect.

Local service dealer just says that's the way it is. They don't talk to each other. According to Lippert (remote manufacturer) they said if the jack control unit does not have a wire antenna then it is the wrong model. I am working with customer service at the selling dealing (1200 miles away) to see what they can do. I will post any results.

Anyone else experienced this? Have a solution?
Old 04-23-2015, 10:40 AM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

It sounds like your remote operates everything but the stabilizers and the remote shows on the menu that you can raise or lower them?

Maybe you have the wrong remote and the stabilizers weren't an option. Possibly the Keystone techs wiring the trailer forgot to wire the stabilizers into the control unit.

If your remote operates the other items (slides etc.) the reference of the wire antenna and a remote control unit aren't relevant because those obviously do operate remotely.

Find your control unit, usually in a forward storage compartment (mine is a black plastic box about 8-10" square/rectangle - can't remember). Pull the cover and you will find the control board which will have the little wire receiver antenna. It will have the model number and also has (if I recall correctly) labeled connections for the functions wired into it. If it shows a connection for the stabilizers and it's not wired in I would go to Keystone to have it authorized for repairs at your dealer. If the board doesn't have labels the Lippert site shows the various remotes and control boards. Maybe you can determine more after obtaining that info.

Good luck. Remote control of the stabilizers IS nice to have.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 10:36 AM   #3
DMK

My 2013 Raptor had the same issue, they do not wire them at the factory. The wire harness was really expensive, so I never went any further.

2013 Raptor 300 MP, MORryde 8K IS, Kodiak disc brakes, 940 watt solar system, 630 ah battery bank, Magnum 2000 watt pure sine wave inverter/charger, ME-ARC, ME-AGS, ME-BMK.

2005 Freightliner Century Class S/T, 14L 60 Series Detroit, 10 spd Ultrashift, w/3.73, Trailer Saver TSLB 3 bag hitch.
DMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 10:37 AM   #4
DMK

That was suppose to be 2013! ha ha!

2013 Raptor 300 MP, MORryde 8K IS, Kodiak disc brakes, 940 watt solar system, 630 ah battery bank, Magnum 2000 watt pure sine wave inverter/charger, ME-ARC, ME-AGS, ME-BMK.

2005 Freightliner Century Class S/T, 14L 60 Series Detroit, 10 spd Ultrashift, w/3.73, Trailer Saver TSLB 3 bag hitch.
DMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 03:18 AM   #5
hdxbonez

Yes, jack operation and levelling should operate off of the remote, see my recent thread here-

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=21959

I had the same issue with my Cougar, the dealer will be replacing a faulty control board.
Old 04-27-2015, 07:23 AM   #6
Dhuhn

Do you have 4point level system on your 5er. that maybe why the remote doesn't work. it maybe just for standard front jacks and rear stabilizer.

2016 Montana 3720RL
2015 Chevy Silverado 3500 HD Duromax :

previous
2012 Montana High Country 313RE
2012 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duromax
2010 Palimino Bronco
2005 Chevy Silverado CC 1500
Dhuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 04:45 AM   #7
Dave W

The 'brain' for that system is as noted, probably in the front storage compartment and mounted on the wall above the battery. I'm assuming that you have the latest remote which is a button push LCD(the touch screen version had problems according to what I've researched). These have to be programmed for each function and something your dealer should do for you - unless he is a total klutz. Mine worked last fall but between the failed remote battery and the dead trailer battery, it 'lost its mind'. The dealer is 125 nasty driving miles away and quite frankly, not a trip worth taking for that gadget. Since Keystone didn't see fit to provide the instructions, I did a search on the Lippert site - and there they were. Once I figured out what they were talking about (probably translated from another language), an easy fix but it will take some time. As far as being wired - ours is a '14 High Country 343RL and everything is working - 4 slides, front and rear stabilizers and the awning.
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 01:14 PM   #8
dsttexas

Latest update.

I went back through my purchasing dealer Customer Service with the issue of the remote not controlling the front and rear stabilizing jacks. They contacted Keystone Warranty and then mailed me a replacement remote control circuit board, and a new remote control unit - it just came in the mail, no information with it and no advance warning. I called Keystone Customer Service to make sure they would cover the local dealer's installation and setup costs, and they said yes, but they would have to submit a request as usual.

The Dealer had to work with both Keystone Tech Support and Lippert to get detailed instructions and codes for the setup, and got the new board and remote working (they said). Keystone told them they would pay 0.5 hours to install the board but that any configuration is up to the customer(!). That labor portion cost me $266, for two technicians taking a total of 1.9 hours each. They said they dropped their hourly rate from $120 to $70 because they did have a learning curve of their own during this process. They gave me Keystone's Cust Svc number to talk to them about it,

When I went to pick it up, the remote display only had options for light, awning and the two slide outs, and no option to control the jacks! I went back inside and spoke to the technician who did the work and he said the remote circuit board did not have any wiring connecting it to the jack controller!! Wait a minute! That's the whole reason I brought it in in the first place.

So it's back to Keystone now to see what the real deal is. The brochure describing this feature clearly states that jacks are controlled by the remote. The new purchase walk through included them showing the features being on the remote control, along with the other features, but we did not exercise them at the time (my bad!). The "new" remote control does not even show the feature now, as they did not set it up for that knowing it wasn't wired in.

So, if Keystone warranty send out a new circuit board and remote control to fix the problem of it not controlling the jacks, then how come we now find out it is not even wired to do that?

And since when is it a customer responsibility to configure and program a new circuit board to a new remote control, without any of the codes or procedures needed to do that?

Letter writing is in process...

Tags
remote control jacks