Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 05-16-2015, 10:40 AM   #1
Yosemitebob

Solar Panel Attachment to roof

OK, so I'm about to install new solar panels to my roof. What came are bolts to attach it - not. I plan on using screws to attach it to the roof structure, if I happen to hit a support brace, that would be good news. Question is, I thinking that no one bolts their panels down (going through the roof) so I'm assuming screwing is the best way. I've been told by others "assuming" is the mother of all evils. So any other suggestions. Of course I would use Dicor to seal all brackets.

Experience someone?

Bob
1800 / 3600 inverter with auto transfer switch,
The bosses: My wife and two Labradoddles 80 lbs each
Yosemitebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 10:47 AM   #2
Yosemitebob

Cfoxtrot - I just saw your post about taping into the roof structure (as I plan on doing) and stainless screws in the rear. Amazing what the search button will do.

Bob
Old 05-16-2015, 03:50 PM   #3
Cfoxtrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemitebob View Post
Cfoxtrot - I just saw your post about taping into the roof structure (as I plan on doing) and stainless screws in the rear. Amazing what the search button will do.

Bob
Good luck, let us know how it turns out!
I will be giving mine the test next weekend

Chris

2013 Bullet 281BHS
2016 F150 SCREW 5.0
Cfoxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 08:55 PM   #4
Yosemitebob

OK, so I've heard from some that a combiner needs to be used, have anyone here use one?
Combiner ties the solar panels through independently of their own fuse to one fuse heavier and then out, with the single line to the controller. I was going to just add a single fuse before going into the controller.
Old 05-24-2015, 04:40 PM   #5
Cfoxtrot

I followed the manufactures suggested method and used the supplied MC4 connectors and then a single fuse inline before the controller.

The fuses are there to protect the wire, and if all of you wire is the same size then I see no need to fuse each panel. Now if you were installing a setup with many panels with smaller wire going to a combiner then a larger wire from the combiner feeding a controller then yes. A combiner set up on a RV seem like an over kill in my opinion...but again it is just my opinion.

2013 Bullet 281BHS
2016 F150 SCREW 5.0
Cfoxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 08:36 PM   #6
Yosemitebob

Chris, I'm inclined to agree with you. Again, thanks for the comment. I am putting a 20A fuse prior to the controller.

On a different note, I'm drilling a hole over my wall with the fireplace. I have a plate that I got on the internet to pass the cables through and lots of Dicor. They will go straight down to the breaker panel (by passing that) and on to the front bay compartment with the controller and battery is. I added a pilot LED and attached it to the bay door just so I can see it working off the load terminals. I wife keeps telling me I'm having too much fun, I think she is right. Used your method of attaching the solar panels except I'm more over the living room.
Old 05-25-2015, 11:05 AM   #7
Yosemitebob

Series or Parallel

OK, I've done a lot of research on this. Both have pros and cons. But I beginning to believe the series have more pros than the cons. First I was going parallel, for the simple fact that if one gets shade the other will pick it up at full 100w as opposed to series if one drops the other follows as well. But....I get more voltage (I'm using a MPPT controller) 24v the controller will reduce to 12v automatically, but 200w as opposed to 100w with parallel (even with two 100w panels). So the extra charging capability (due to the MPPT controller) with series outweighs the parallel wiring. What I mean here is in my situation if one panel gets shaded, I will hopefully already charged the battery considerably more already than by parallel charging. Chances of having both panels getting some light blocked at one time or better as I'm only a max 5 feet apart anyway. Hope this all makes sense. My layout is from side to side on the roof as opposed from front to back. And, I can use less wire with series giving me a better performance.
Old 05-25-2015, 03:02 PM   #8
pnwham

On a previous RV (Lazy Daze Class C MH) I installed 2 100 watt panels and cabled them individually to an MPPT controller with a switch on the input so that I could run them in series or (with the flip of a switch) in parallel. I thought that series would be the way to go especially on cool cloudy mornings here in the pacific NW. I played with changing them back and forth under all kinds of conditions and finally decided that it just didn't make a hill of beans difference which way I had them configured. I finally just left them in parallel. On my latest rig (a Montana High Country 293RK 5th wheel) I put up 3 100 watt panels and just cabled them in parallel to the controller. I went with a PWM controller initially on the 5th wheel (cost was the deciding factor) but the jury is out on if I will change it out for an MPPT controller. Definitely some advantages, but there is some additional overhead losses and cost is still a BIG factor.

Rich - 2014 Montana HC 293RK Pulled by a 2014 Chevy 2500HD Gas
pnwham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 05:45 PM   #9
Yosemitebob

Good to know. I have everything to do it in parallel, but I'm going to use series and keep the rest if I decide to change down the line.