Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2014, 08:50 PM   #1
howshow

Driving-propane-fridge

ok I have a question regarding driving with propane on so that the fridge stays cool & food is not spoiled, i know this question may have already been ask several times & im sorry if im bringing it up again but i just don't know is it safe?

What are my other options?

Does the fridge have some sort of shut off valve so that gas doesn't fill up in rv if the light goes out while on the road?

I have a (2015) spingdale 282bh

thank you
howshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:32 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

I believe the majority of people travel with the fridge on propane and have done so without incident. When refueling, some turn the propane off as a safety precaution but many, including myself, do not.

If you don't want to have the fridge running while traveling, you should ensure that it is nice and cold before setting out and perhaps packed with a few plastic bottles of frozen water. A fridge will stay surprisingly cold for a considerable length of time; depending, of course, on the outside temperatures and how often you open the fridge door.

Another option would be to pack your perishables in an ice chest and move them from that to the fridge when you reach your destination. The disadvantages of that are the chest takes up a fair amount of room and the extra work involved.

You can also purchase a 12v operated cooler - simply plug it into a cigarette lighter plug or some other 12VDC outlet. These coolers aren't much good for frozen items - especially ice cream but will keep the contents "cool" rather than "cold".

The fridge will have a safety shut off in case the propane supply is interrupted for some reason.
Old 06-18-2014, 02:18 AM   #3
bsmith0404

yes it has been asked before and, as already stated, most drive with it on. I personally plug mine in about 24 hrs prior to departing so it gets cold, then pack it up and switch it to propane for the drive. Have never had an incident with it running on propane while driving.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 04:14 AM   #4
Ayotte

Our fridge runs from the start of camping until it is time to quit. We always leave the camper plugged in when we are at home. I have always ran the fridge on propane when travelling with no problem. I do always shut it down during refills -if you have a gas it is wise to turn the fridge off diesel not so important. Have never had an issue.
Ayotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 07:15 AM   #5
howshow

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayotte View Post
Our fridge runs from the start of camping until it is time to quit. We always leave the camper plugged in when we are at home. I have always ran the fridge on propane when travelling with no problem. I do always shut it down during refills -if you have a gas it is wise to turn the fridge off diesel not so important. Have never had an issue.
great thanks, so basically as long as i turn off fridge for re fuelling truck with gas its all good to travel with propane running thats a big headache out the way now.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:24 AM   #6
Ram189

I have never turned the fridge off while getting fuel.

I really don't think it would be an issue since it is so far away from the pumps.

Like others have said. Plug in at home get it running on electric for a day. Unplug, switch to propane and go where you are going.

It will run and be fine when you get there.

https://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...ps110a0f22.jpg
Ram189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 09:28 AM   #7
BirchyBoy

I run mine while driving/fueling as well. At first I was concerned with how much propane it would use while driving, but it uses very, very little.
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 10:31 AM   #8
rschad

regarding not shutting off the propane while refueling because it is so far away from the pumps--

well that is true while you are filling but as you pull away the fridge might pass
quite close to the tanks and it is a long shot but if there are fumes it could ignite them as you drive past. Rare I would think but I sure wouldn't want to have it happen to me.
rschad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 11:22 AM   #9
GaryWT

As many other do, I run with the propane on. I generally do not refuel with the trailer attached as we tend to get to the campground before we are out of fuel.

We do leave ours plugged in all camping season as I see it as a pain to have to empty the fridge and reload it after and before each trip. It is on and when we shop camping stuff goes out there and the chesse, mayo and the like can stay for the summer...
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 06:49 PM   #10
howshow

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram189 View Post
I have never turned the fridge off while getting fuel.

I really don't think it would be an issue since it is so far away from the pumps.

Like others have said. Plug in at home get it running on electric for a day. Unplug, switch to propane and go where you are going.

It will run and be fine when you get there.

I do not store my TT at home as i am in a town house, so i do not have the luxury of keeping it plugged in all summer, it is store 5mins down the road in a storage place. But nether the less i went down today and fired up the fridge, so hopefully it is cold enough for our maiden voyage tomorrow in our new TT.

Anyways again thanks for the great advise, i think ill turn the fridge off when refuelling as it only takes a second i guess.
Old 06-19-2014, 03:02 AM   #11
PT RV`er

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
yes it has been asked before and, as already stated, most drive with it on. I personally plug mine in about 24 hrs prior to departing so it gets cold, then pack it up and switch it to propane for the drive. Have never had an incident with it running on propane while driving.
X2 , same here

PT RV`er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 05:50 PM   #12
howshow

Well, went out for the first trip in our trailer this week, thoughts ill start another post on that later, but as for the fridge it worked great started it up 12hrs before we left stored food drove 6hrs no problems with gas going out, happy campers! thanks for the help.
Old 06-25-2014, 06:34 PM   #13
campertime

WOW! never thought about using propane to cool the fridge while the trailer is in storage. 12 hours ahead of time eh? Nice.... I'll have to try that before our next trip.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:03 PM   #14
Charli

We have always travelled with our fridge on although, as I have recently heard, there is the smallest of possibilities of a safety issue when refuelling. Given that we have a diesel and there is quite a distance from the fuel filler door to the fridge I think the danger is pretty remote.
One other safety concern I have heard about is, given that in many rigs propane lines run under the trailer, if you have a blowout pieces of the tire and other debris could pierce the propane line. Another pretty remote possibility.
All things considered I'll probably keep the fridge on for long trips in hot weather and turn it off for shorter trips.
Charli is offline   Reply With Quote