Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Freeways & Byways
Click Here to Login

Old 01-05-2020, 11:06 AM   #1
sonofcy

Back roads vs interstate

I would like to get opinions on the back roads vs interstate travel differences.
Although I can see the charm and possibilities of serendipitous discovery that back roads offer, the issue I have with back roads is the road is not divided so the chance of a head on collision is infinitely higher. A smaller problem is the likelihood of encountering RV specific issue re clearances and road issues like construction zones. I try to use 3 or more routing tools like a properly (fastest time) configured RV specific GPS, google maps, RV Trip Wizard and a host of RV specific Apps (currently 44).
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 11:28 AM   #2
cliff

We have had a Rand GPS properly configured, take us down some really bad back roads with lots of switchbacks and hairpins. Examples are CA 111, CA1, and tried to take us into a subdivison. So, the back roads even with the thought of a possibility of seeing the biggest ball of string aren't worth it. The other part of back roads is that they do not have the less than 8% grades and are really hard on the engine and transmission. The more it shifts, the more it heats and wears. Then you have the fun of having to back up to a turn around place because you can't fit. not all back roads have all of the low points registered. So drive the interstates and when you unhook spend a day or two exploring the back roads. Besides a good GPS has the sights along the way nd you can pick and chose your stops to see them. Forgot to mention when we went down CA 1 from Monterey to Morrow Bay, at the end of the trip my arms, shoulders, back, and head ached from the stress and turns.
cliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 11:33 AM   #3
roadglide

I stay away from the Interstate as much as possible but interstates are easier to find fuel most the time easier to pull off for a break. I hate the heavy interstate trucking traffic and vehicles traffic as a whole. I have found a lot of state roads are divided and easer to find fuel . I have driven some secondary roads like 60 from Missouri going west to I 25 in New Mexico there is not a lot traffic along With fewer Places to pull over. I have 96 gallons of diesel fuel on board .
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 11:48 AM   #4
Ken / Claudia

My RV travels has been limited to OR, WA, CA. Normally to get from point A to B. The destination being the fun part. So, I mostly use the fast route which is the interstate freeways most of the time.
I agree there is a big beautiful USA that will never be seen on a freeway.
My main point coming from 26 years working State Police and several more with a Sheriffs Dept. in the Portland metro area. Yes, head on crashes are the worst. Many times they have death involved when we are talking about highways. So, I worked both mostly at night and read, learned and was involved in stats about crashes. I no longer have access to current data at my finger tip. But, most deadly crashes involving cross overs have to do with #1 DUII at night, #2 weather. You will might even the odds if you avoid those times. I think its about 4 or 5 to 1 deaths on highways vs freeways at least here. Bottom line freeways are safer to travel on than highways for many reasons. Is that a reason not to travel on them, you decide.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 11:52 AM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

I had a Rand McNally RV GPS when they first came out with the RV specific unit. It was horrendous. I chalked it up to the "new tech". The Garmin's I have had and currently have are far superior to that experience. The Garmin will route me around sharp turns, steep grades, low bridges, weight and propane restrictions, etc.

As for taking the "back roads" I enjoy the slower pace and the scenery. Not having a barrier between lanes is less of a hazard in my mind than the jokers cutting me off and jamming on the brakes to make an exit ramp. But being retired, I have the luxury of time.

Only you know what your priorities, preferences and limitations are. The most important thing to me is choosing the least stressful most enjoyable experience.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 11:57 AM   #6
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff View Post
We have had a Rand GPS properly configured, take us down some really bad back roads with lots of switchbacks and hairpins. Examples are CA 111, CA1, and tried to take us into a subdivison. So, the back roads even with the thought of a possibility of seeing the biggest ball of string aren't worth it. The other part of back roads is that they do not have the less than 8% grades and are really hard on the engine and transmission. The more it shifts, the more it heats and wears. Then you have the fun of having to back up to a turn around place because you can't fit. not all back roads have all of the low points registered. So drive the interstates and when you unhook spend a day or two exploring the back roads. Besides a good GPS has the sights along the way nd you can pick and chose your stops to see them. Forgot to mention when we went down CA 1 from Monterey to Morrow Bay, at the end of the trip my arms, shoulders, back, and head ached from the stress and turns.
By properly configured I mean the GPS is set to 'Fastest Time'. In any case I have seen several cases of bad routing where the GPS was still at the default 'Shortest Distance' setting. If yours is set to Fastest Time please send me the end point waypoints so I can see how my GPS routes that trip. As far as hills, I drive a F450. The engine has never been over 2,000 rpm since standard rear end is 4.30 with the 6.7 diesel. I plugged in your Monterey to Morro Bay trip on google maps and it does look like a nice oceanside trip. Elevation varies between 13 and 932 ft with some steep sections and some twisty bits but maybe I would cut the trip in half based on your comments re how tiring it is. One thing I do is use google maps satellite view to see what the road really looks like. That has saved me from backing up more than once. Thanks for your insight and advice.
Old 01-05-2020, 12:03 PM   #7
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
My RV travels has been limited to OR, WA, CA. Normally to get from point A to B. The destination being the fun part. So, I mostly use the fast route which is the interstate freeways most of the time.
I agree there is a big beautiful USA that will never be seen on a freeway.
My main point coming from 26 years working State Police and several more with a Sheriffs Dept. in the Portland metro area. Yes, head on crashes are the worst. Many times they have death involved when we are talking about highways. So, I worked both mostly at night and read, learned and was involved in stats about crashes. I no longer have access to current data at my finger tip. But, most deadly crashes involving cross overs have to do with #1 DUII at night, #2 weather. You will might even the odds if you avoid those times. I think its about 4 or 5 to 1 deaths on highways vs freeways at least here. Bottom line freeways are safer to travel on than highways for many reasons. Is that a reason not to travel on them, you decide.
Good points re DUI and night. I don't travel at night unless it is some sort of emergency like fleeing a hurricane. One interesting thing I have noticed is that truck involved crashes seem to cluster at 7am. I have seen a few and several on one trip. I think it is due to truckers driving all night and falling asleep at the wheel. My travel window now is no earlier than 8 am and 9 am where possible for 4 to 6 hours of drive time. Thanks for the insight, I will probably adopt a strategy of selective use of non-interstate. Thanks.
Old 01-05-2020, 12:17 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

In the past 10 days we've had two "wrong way on the interstate" head on crashes on I-75 in the local area. One resulted in two deaths (both vehicles had only the driver onboard) and the other resulted in multiple serious injuries, but no deaths, at least not yet. That said, I can't remember the last "head on fatality" on the "state side roads" that connect the state east/west. All of the "state highways" around this area are 2 lane roads, most with 65MPH speed limits and frequent "passing lanes".

As for towing, we use the Ford navigation system and a 2 year old Rand McNally road atlas. I prefer not to travel the interstate system when towing the Cougar, but when triple towing (frequently) I do prefer the "space and normal separation between vehicles" afforded by the divided, multi lane system.

Like Marshall, I'm more concerned with the "idiot darting between lanes to get to his exit" than I am the "head on crash potential".

I will say that when I was learning to drive, there was an "experience level" associated with how much time and how much distance was required to pass a vehicle. I've noticed that in the past 15-20 years, most "younger drivers" (at my age that's almost everybody who's driving) has lost that "seat of the pants experience" on how to judge how safe it is to pass a vehicle on a two lane road.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 12:32 PM   #9
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
In the past 10 days we've had two "wrong way on the interstate" head on crashes on I-75 in the local area. One resulted in two deaths (both vehicles had only the driver onboard) and the other resulted in multiple serious injuries, but no deaths, at least not yet. That said, I can't remember the last "head on fatality" on the "state side roads" that connect the state east/west. All of the "state highways" around this area are 2 lane roads, most with 65MPH speed limits and frequent "passing lanes".

As for towing, we use the Ford navigation system and a 2 year old Rand McNally road atlas. I prefer not to travel the interstate system when towing the Cougar, but when triple towing (frequently) I do prefer the "space and normal separation between vehicles" afforded by the divided, multi lane system.

Like Marshall, I'm more concerned with the "idiot darting between lanes to get to his exit" than I am the "head on crash potential".

I will say that when I was learning to drive, there was an "experience level" associated with how much time and how much distance was required to pass a vehicle. I've noticed that in the past 15-20 years, most "younger drivers" (at my age that's almost everybody who's driving) has lost that "seat of the pants experience" on how to judge how safe it is to pass a vehicle on a two lane road.
WOW, 2 of them is really weird. I think here in Canada every one we ever have is national news and they are extremely rare. As far as the other interstate dangers with dartigmorons, yes that is a valid concern. I will try to remember that and stay in the leftmost but 1 lane to avoid them.

While I am here, if you visit Canada keep in mind we had some idiots design our roads a while back (they may still) with disappearing right lanes. Do NOT drive a big rig in the rightmost lane, it only leads to an exit most of the time. From what I remember your interstates are safe to remain in the right lane but I prefer a few lanes to the left.
Old 01-05-2020, 12:40 PM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofcy View Post
WOW, 2 of them is really weird. I think here in Canada every one we ever have is national news and they are extremely rare. As far as the other interstate dangers with dartigmorons, yes that is a valid concern. I will try to remember that and stay in the leftmost but 1 lane to avoid them.

While I am here, if you visit Canada keep in mind we had some idiots design our roads a while back (they may still) with disappearing right lanes. Do NOT drive a big rig in the rightmost lane, it only leads to an exit most of the time. From what I remember your interstates are safe to remain in the right lane but I prefer a few lanes to the left.
Most of our interstates are pretty clearly marked if there's an "ending lane" Most have a yellow overhead "EXIT ONLY" sign over the lane that ends with ample warning to "merge left". Once the lane is "designated exit only" if you notice, almost always, the white interrupted lane markings change from "narrow interrupted white" to "thick interrupted white" and the last couple of hundred yards, they are "thick solid white"....

If you're paying attention to the big green exit signs and the yellow "EXIT ONLY" signs, it's pretty difficult to get "trapped in an exit lane" ….. But, if you're "fiddling with the TPMS" and "resetting the GPS" and "checking that new rear view camera monitor"..... well...…

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 01:15 PM   #11
sonofcy

Quote:
Most of our interstates are pretty clearly marked if there's an "ending lane" Most have a yellow overhead "EXIT ONLY" sign over the lane that ends with ample warning to "merge left". Once the lane is "designated exit only" if you notice, almost always, the white interrupted lane markings change from "narrow interrupted white" to "thick interrupted white" and the last couple of hundred yards, they are "thick solid white"....

If you're paying attention to the big green exit signs and the yellow "EXIT ONLY" signs, it's pretty difficult to get "trapped in an exit lane" ….. But, if you're "fiddling with the TPMS" and "resetting the GPS" and "checking that new rear view camera monitor"..... well...…
Yes, you guys do a much better job at that than we do, some/many of our rightmost lanes just disappear. It's a matter of national embarrassment since some European visitors pointed it out to a news crew a few years ago. It looks like they are marking them better in some places, but be careful when visiting up here in otherwise friendly and safe Canada, some will just disappear.
Old 01-05-2020, 01:17 PM   #12
sonofcy

Quote:

Almost forgot, if doing any of those last things you mention, it's a distracted driving ticket at least up here north of the 49th.
Old 01-05-2020, 01:17 PM   #13
Ken / Claudia

Post #7 brings up a good point. We have found the same type of data here. Monday mornings, with Comm Trucks coming into PDX had more crashes, speed and other moving violations. Sunday night was high for speeding violations. The trooper who presented the data said the reason mostly given was drivers trying to get to their drop off point ASAP monday morning at the end of a long haul IE, driving all night.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 01:21 PM   #14
ADQ K9

Between Google Earth and the Ford navigation system I have not been steered wrong yet. I have to say it does depend on who is operating the said device, me or the DW.
Alaska does not really have the interstate option. The two lane through most of the state turns into divided highways around larger metro areas like Anchorage and Fairbanks. Most steep grades have a truck lane. There are sections with no shoulder also. We have a law here that you need to pull over if there is a delay of 5 or more vehicles behind you. In addition to impaired drivers there are a lot of distracted drivers here in the summer rubbernecking at the scenery and wildlife.
Connected by a Curt 15K WDH W/Sway Control
ADQ K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 01:44 PM   #15
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:

I think Canada has about 27 million drivers all in(cars, commercial vehicle's etc). Come south and you'll encounter that many just In NY and NJ. The US has around 225 million licensed drivers. The numbers are from 2016.

I think the US may have shared some of their highway engineers with Canada!
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 02:06 PM   #16
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I think Canada has about 27 million drivers all in(cars, commercial vehicle's etc). Come south and you'll encounter that many just In NY and NJ. The US has around 225 million licensed drivers. The numbers are from 2016.

I think the US may have shared some of their highway engineers with Canada!
All true, sadly even the sharing road engineers part. We should have about 1/10 as many as you, but I have no idea if that is true, my WAG is that we have fewer per capita but it is just a WAG. My intention is to be off the roads at rush hour, night and weekends, that should drastically improve the odds for me.
Old 01-05-2020, 02:06 PM   #17
CedarCreekWoody

Quote:

Here in Texas, and I presume many other states, it is illegal to drive in the left lane. It is designated for passing only. It isn't always enforced but I wish it was. Forcing people to use the right lane for passing gets dangerous as they drive into blind spots.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 02:25 PM   #18
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
Here in Texas, and I presume many other states, it is illegal to drive in the left lane. It is designated for passing only. It isn't always enforced but I wish it was. Forcing people to use the right lane for passing gets dangerous as they drive into blind spots.
Yep, that's why I said 'leftmost but 1' generally that will be the middle lane unless it's a 2 laner in which case it's the right. If it's a 4 lane road then the 2nd or 3rd lane assuming right most is 1. I avoid 1 and 4. 4 because as you point out both unsafe and illegal, 1 because it might disappear. Of course the 2nd often becomes 1st and now we have to merge one lane left at high speed driving in my case about 30,000 lbs or 15 tons. Yes, we have roads where the lanes go from 6 to 5 back to 6 in a span of about 1/4 mile or less.
Old 01-05-2020, 02:27 PM   #19
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
When towing, especially in city traffic, I have always & will continue to, legal or not, drive in the left lane until the idiots figure out how to merge/exit the highway.
Buy yourself a Motor Carriers Atlas at a truck stop, in the front all the low clearances are listed by state & the roads highlighted are good for truck traffic so any of those you should be good. We used it for years along with various GPS systems & Google maps on our phones & never once got in a bind driving a CC dually towing a 40' 5th wheel.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 02:38 PM   #20
CedarCreekWoody

Quote:
Yep, that's why I said 'leftmost but 1' generally that will be the middle lane unless it's a 2 laner in which case it's the right. If it's a 4 lane road then the 2nd or 3rd lane assuming right most is 1. I avoid 1 and 4. 4 because as you point out both unsafe and illegal, 1 because it might disappear. Of course the 2nd often becomes 1st and now we have to merge one lane left at high speed driving in my case about 30,000 lbs or 15 tons. Yes, we have roads where the lanes go from 6 to 5 back to 6 in a span of about 1/4 mile or less.
I concur, when there are three lanes then I also prefer lane two. This lets me avoid those merging onto, and off of the freeway. It is not unusual on the multilane freeways for the right lane to turn into an exit only lane and lead to some scrambling to move over. I often drive 40-50 miles out of my way to bypass Dallas for this reason and don't get me started on Southern California freeways!
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote