Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 09-17-2020, 10:41 AM   #21
ObiRich

Quote:
Originally Posted by koda57 View Post
Going to install 6 volt batteries. Has anybody found a battery box that will hold both GC 6 volt batteries end to end, that will fit the 8" x 27"factory rails.
This one will. They are what I used.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-55375-B.../dp/B07V4482W1

Walmart has them too...cheaper but OOS:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-553...p-24/649902602
ObiRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 09:28 AM   #22
DDuncan51

Speaking of batteries: You may not believe this but every word is true. This happened in the Uinta Basin, eastern Utah where the temperatures regularly drop below 0 and sometimes stay there for a couple weeks in the winter and can crank up into the high 90's and stay there for a month or more in the summers. Also, my in-laws lived in the country.

I bought six Interstate 6V "golf cart" batteries to put in my 1976 Club Car in 2001. The golf cart used regularly from spring to fall by my in-laws while campground hosting. During the winter, it was supposed to sit in a garage and batteries topped off regularly. And I'm sure this happened until my father-in-law died in 2003. February, 2008, while visiting my mother-in-law, I notice the golf cart sitting in 2 feet of snow, in the field, behind her house, with a flat tire. I ask her what happened. She said her daughter, had been driving it around and ran the batteries dead. So I drag it out of the field, load it on a trailer and take it home. After thawing it out, I filled the battery cells and put on the charger (36V charger). I'll be damned if it doesn't charge up and all the batteries test good. Some of the batteries were bulging from freezing, but they worked just fine. I even drove it around an 18 hole golf course once in a while. Then around 2010 a battery died, so I pulled 2 used 6V batteries ( a whole lot newer than those old ones) out of my RV, put them in the golf cart, replacing the 2 weakest batteries and it just kept going. When another died in 2015, I did the same thing, replacing the 2 weakest. I replaced the last of the old batteries in 2016. The RV batteries I replaced them with were from Costco. They don't fair near as well in the golf cart as the Interstates do.
DDuncan51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 08:17 AM   #23
P&DZ

I replaced 2 aging and mismatched 12v interstate group 24 batteries with 2 6v Duracell 230ah batteries in May. Very happy with results. We can dry camp almost indefinitely with a 100 watt solar panel and a bit of sun charging the batteries daily.
P&DZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery