Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2020, 04:34 PM   #1
hammerheadc4

Do the numbers work? or Smaller RV or New Truck

Hi, Looking for my first RV and need help with all the numbers.

I have a 2020 Ram 1500 Classic 3.6L v6, 3.21 gears, 4496 Tow capacity.

Truck specs...
GCWR 9850 (from Ram site)
GVWR 6800 (from truck sticker)
RGAWR 3900 (from truck sticker)
FGAWR 3900 (from truck sticker)
Payload 1447 (from truck sticker)
Class IV hitch 1275 max tongue weight (from Owners manual...no sticker under hitch)

I weighed my truck the other day at a local CAT scale, Just me and the dog in it.
Empty tool box and empty bed, full tank of gas.
Steer axle 3220
Drive axle 2540
Gross weight 5760

It will be just Me, the Wife and the dog...she says she weighs 160
What else do I have to add for GVW?
WDS hitch?
Tools etc?

I'm interested in a mini 1760BH
tt spec from website
UVW. 3789
CCC. 711
GTW. 4500
Hitch. 520
Guessing hitch weight would be 585 to 600

Seems like none of the keystone minis are that light.
If the numbers would work for a trailer say in the 3800 to 3900 Lb range like an R pod or Geo Pro that'd be great too.

Specs for a Geo Pro 19fd
TT spec from website
UVW. 2829
CCC. 1061
GTW. 3890
Hitch 390
I would guess the hitch weight to be 500 to 525

RVing came up about a month after I bought this truck....but, if I have to replace the truck I will.

Thanks in advance for the advice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Yellow sticker.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	142.8 KB
ID:	29262   Click image for larger version

Name:	GVWR sticker.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	259.4 KB
ID:	29263  
Old 08-17-2020, 05:49 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

If replacing the truck is an option I would recommend making SURE you don't get in a hurry, jump in with a trailer to fit this truck then find you have to buy a new truck AND a new trailer.

A quick note; scaled weight of the truck was 5760 vs a gvwr of 6800. That leaves an actual payload of 1040 lbs then take off the weight of DW leaving 880. That will be hard.

Let's just take the lightest trailer at 3890 and see where that goes. With a tongue weight at 13% = 506 lbs. Add 100+ for hitch = 606. Realize you now have a hitch, you, DW and the dog. You will carry stuff in the truck. How much I don't know but I do know that I carry tools, jacks, blocks and any number of other items - it adds up quick. If you carry much of anything you will be running up against, or over, your payload and gvwr.

Another thing to think about; that truck has a small V6 they use in their midsize cars/SUVs. I've driven several of them. They feel sort of OK in their element (small vehicles) but fall off drastically when actually put to use (weight). That truck, at that weight (scaled and potential), with the V6, a 3.21 axle ratio (not meant for towing) will leave you not only potentially in danger but unhappy. That engine will NOT want to pull that trailer (either of them) around with any acceptable performance. A small utility trailer with a small lawn tractor will just about max it out.

Not what you want to hear I know and I commend you. You have done your homework, you've put the numbers together and you've asked - I think that is excellent. Post any/all questions you may have. Others will chime in I'm sure with their thoughts.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 09:03 PM   #3
travelin texans

Unfortunately your truck is a lightweight with a small engine not designed for hauling a RV of any size or weight.
IMHO & experience the Rpod or Geo if doing much travel would become very clostrophobic in a very short time when you have to go outside to change your mind.
Just my .02 cents on both truck & RV.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 01:32 AM   #4
notanlines

Hammer, I can't do better than the two Danny's have already done. In the long run, your statement " if I have to replace the truck I will" probably will serve you best.
The vast majority of experienced RV'ers will agree to purchase your RV first. Only then go truck shopping to pull what you have chosen. And I would look into renting an Rpod or Geo Pro first for a week-end or two. You simply cannot imagine how few amenities these offer, and how cramped you will feel.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 04:55 AM   #5
wiredgeorge

hammerheadc4, I won't comment on the truck or camper but if you do go camping in a remote spot, keep in mind putting your wife's weight out on the internet will pretty much guarantee she will be coming back alone and you walking a LONG way home. You may want to check out how the dinette in your camper sleeps as well.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 09:10 AM   #6
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
hammerheadc4, I won't comment on the truck or camper but if you do go camping in a remote spot, keep in mind putting your wife's weight out on the internet will pretty much guarantee she will be coming back alone and you walking a LONG way home. You may want to check out how the dinette in your camper sleeps as well.
I read that as the dog said "she weighs 160" not necessarily the wife. So hopefully for him he has a very big dog & won't be sleeping on the dinette.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 09:44 AM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

When weights are a critical factor I recall what my flight instructor told me years ago. "When asking a woman what she weighs add 15 lbs. to that number".
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 09:55 AM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Oh boy. OP was looking to find a nice new RV to use for a portable home and you guys are working hard to find him a dog house....
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 10:30 AM   #9
hammerheadc4

I do appreciate the candor.
The replies have me crying and laughing.

Replacing the truck would seem to give me several TT from Keystone to choose from, like the Bullet 1800rb or the 1850rb

Even if we replace the truck, I would not want a larger TT.
Old 08-18-2020, 02:24 PM   #10
wiredgeorge

The wrong truck may be able to drag a particular RV but will stress the truck, be a chore to drive and will be hard on the mechanicals of the truck. Hate to hear about a fella with a new truck that isn't up to snuff and will likely eat a lot of depreciation and be upside down on a note. Can't walk in your shoes and don't know if a truck upgrade could work for you in whatever situation your are in but if you want to camp in a decent sized camper that larger truck is looming. One suggestion would that since you haven't gone camping in an RV by the sound of it, you might want to explore older used campers. This will help you zero in on the features and floorplan of your perfect camper and allow you to figure out what tow vehicle matches this RV configuration. In our case, we are limited to about 30' due our parking slot at home and MUST have a door on the bedroom area since I get up HOURS before sleeping beauty and her fur baby(s) who also sleep in every morning. A rear kitchen allows lots of counter and counter space with a nice pantry. There are compromises but nothing critical... You learn this stuff by being in the camper for a few trips out and buying your first camper new may make you wish you had done some camping to get your druthers in order first. Good luck and stay safe!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 11:44 AM   #11
GMcKenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerheadc4 View Post
I do appreciate the candor.
The replies have me crying and laughing.

Replacing the truck would seem to give me several TT from Keystone to choose from, like the Bullet 1800rb or the 1850rb

Even if we replace the truck, I would not want a larger TT.
If you do replace the truck, I would look for one with a decent payload capacity. In a half ton, anything around 1,850 lbs is good. but this is only if you are sure you won't go bigger in the future. Now, I don't know Ram trucks, but I do know GM and Ford have 1/2 tons with payload in that range (mine is 2,015 lbs).

Remember for every 100 lbs less of payload, assuming 13% tongue weight, your trailer weight needs to go down by ~ 770 lbs (100 / .13).

Thinking about going bigger myself, so I've been eyeing one tons with gas motors.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote