Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-19-2020, 12:26 PM   #1
KRumm

Motion Sensing Step Light Remove?...

I have a New Keystone Cougar 5th wheel with the motion sensing step light... It basically has a mind of its own and turns on and off all the time without any movement near it... There are no switch’s to it and I have tried to remove or pop it off (I just want to disconnect the power to it as I don’t really want it if it’s on all the time)... I’ve tried twisting it, moving it up down and sideways And then took a flat heat screwdriver to try and pop it off but nothing seems to set it loose... There is no access from behind...

Does anyone know the trick to getting inside without destroying it?...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0A21477D-7B89-4F10-90A7-1AB712FCDA9D.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	261.8 KB
ID:	29282  
KRumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 05:42 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

If you can, cover the motion sensor and take a pic. There is too much glare for me to see.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 07:11 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

I installed similar motion sensor lights in our fifth wheel. Mine have a "mounting plate that screws to the wall and the "light assembly" snaps onto the mounting plate. On mine, there is a small "indention" on the bottom so you can use a common screwdriver to pry the light off the mounting plate.

Use a mirror and flashlight to view the bottom of the light, you'll probably see that "indention".

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 07:42 AM   #4
Wohnmobil

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRumm View Post
I have a New Keystone Cougar 5th wheel with the motion sensing step light... It basically has a mind of its own and turns on and off all the time without any movement near it... There are no switch’s to it and I have tried to remove or pop it off (I just want to disconnect the power to it as I don’t really want it if it’s on all the time)... I’ve tried twisting it, moving it up down and sideways And then took a flat heat screwdriver to try and pop it off but nothing seems to set it loose... There is no access from behind...

Does anyone know the trick to getting inside without destroying it?...
Have you resolved this issue? I am having the same problem.
Wohnmobil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 10:43 AM   #5
Shasta Bob

My 2019 Cougar Fifth wheel step light has a switch on the top for (on, off, or motion) !
2019 Cougar 315 RLS
Shasta Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 12:15 PM   #6
glcall

I have the same motion light in my 2020 Cougar. Sometimes it comes on so dim I can't see it and next time it might come on normal. I haven't been able to get the cover off either. Funny it quit working just after one year.
glcall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 12:46 PM   #7
dutchmensport

I have the same one on my Montana High Country fifth wheel. I just examined it and it looks like there is a catch in the middle on the top and one at the bottom, that snaps in place, but then can't be pulled out. If you use a butter knife or a very thin screw driver, you can push that plastic tip so it will unsnap from the wood around it. Be careful though, too much "push" and you can break it completely off.

FYI ... mine is driving me nuts also. Mine flickers!
Old 09-15-2020, 01:23 PM   #8
dutchmensport

Here ya go, I removed mine, and yes, I broke one of those plastic tips, but the cover still snaps back on ok:

Once the cover is removed, there are 4 screws holding the white opaque holder that the light shines through. Here are two photos, one showing the top screws, the other showing the bottom 2 screws. I cannot turn the light off, so I tried covering with my hand to help eliminate glare.

Old 09-15-2020, 03:18 PM   #9
glcall

Thanks for doing that Dutchman. I got rough with mine and got the cover off. I broke the same tab doing it. At least I can find a replacement for it now. My wife is disabled and sleeps in a recliner and that motion light is nice when she gets up in middle of the night. The light is a Facon Model number AIS-B. I did find them on Amazon.
glcall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 11:04 AM   #10
jacksonbgood47

On our first night in our Cougar 302rls the light came on in the middle of the night flashing every 10 seconds. I covered with duct tape. With this info I can remove it.
jacksonbgood47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 11:34 AM   #11
Wohnmobil

My light did not have a switch on it. Contacted the dealers service dept and was told that they received several rigs with the same problem and the lights are faulty. They sent me a replacement the next day. I installed the new light and it only turns on when someone walks near it.

2020 Chevrolet 2500HD LT/Z71 4X4 6.6L Gasser CC
2021 Cougar Half-Ton 22RDS
Husky CenterLine TS
Wohnmobil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light