Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 09-25-2020, 03:36 PM   #81
Northofu1

In the cities and large towns yes, in the rural areas more sand than salt.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 04:20 PM   #82
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by HideoutSpadz View Post
Hi....Newbie Tower here

I have a 2019 1500 V6 with 3:55 ratio. My tow capacity is 7490 and my GCWR is 12,900.....dealership advised that it is actually 13,900 but manufacturers always give a 1,000lbs buffer????

Also on paper, my payload is 2100 to which my calculations look like this:
Tongue weight -780
Occupants -500
Interior Crap (2 car seats & odds) -100
Gear -300/400 MAX
———total 1780

Here’s my situation/question:
I recently bought a travel trailer (Hideout 272BH) that weighs 6100....add an additional 200/300 pounds for bedding and some stuff we keep in storage bays). I have a weight distribution hitch/sway bar setup.
When towing with my family and gear I estimate that my total weight (fuelled truck/trailer/people/gear) is around 12,200ish which gives me at least 700lbs in GCVW space BUT when towing in relatively flat (small-medium hills) My engine sits at b/n 3200/3500 RPMS in tow/haul mode.

Additionally, in tow/haul mode it has a hell of a time switching gears in 3rd/4th.

should I be concerned?
Was I advised incorrectly by both RV & Dodge dealerships on capability?
Is this a lemon?
Do I need a 5.7/V8 Hemi?

any help/guidance is greatly appreciated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northofu1 View Post
I didn't think that at all sir. I definitely know where you're coming from. 100% right on the salt of the earth in regards to the membership here.
No worries,but that "sir" thing is way to formal. I'm much more comfortable with "that a@@hole".
Stickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 09:34 AM   #83
ChrisBl

Sorry to disagree with your comment, but reduced hp reduces towing capability. When determining if a vehicle can handle the load, altitude does need to be taken into consideration. Turbo may help some at altitude but there is still a significant reduction in performance. I live at altitude and have driven my turbo vehicle to sea level. There is a huge difference. I own a 2015 1/2 with a small engine and it pulls my trailer (7740 gvw) just fine. HP is just a small part of the equation and diesel is not a necessity for altitude either; could be overkill. This particular situation does suggest the tow vehicle is not capable and different one is needed, but a small engine 1/2 ton with a tow package should work out just fine.
ChrisBl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing