Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-17-2012, 07:16 AM   #1
desertjack

2 pt vs 4 pt sway wdh systems

Hi all
Newbie here still trying to decide on best and most economical WDH system to work on a 29 ft Hideout. Looking at Equalizer 4 pt and the Reese Dual cam systems vs the Equalizer E2 and Reese SC systems which I think are 2 way sway units. Trailer is 6200 dry and 7700 gross. Is the 4 pt system worth the 100.00 more vs 2pt ? Can I install the hitch ball with "regular size socket vs the 1 7/8 tapered socket Equalizer seems to need for this aspect of the install ?
Thanks much for any all comments
Desert Jack
desertjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:21 AM   #2
fla-gypsy

I use the Reese HP Dual Cam system also referred to as the "Straight Line" I believe if you buy the entire system at once. I did the Dual Cam as an add on to my Reese clone hitch. I believe the integrated (4 pt) systems are superior by far to the standard friction controllers. I am partial to the Reese Dual Cam because it has been so effective for me. My trailer like yours is long (32') and the difference in behavior after installing was just astounding. I tow with a confidence that makes the journey part of the adventure. The entire set up behaves as one unit and the piece of mind is worth every penny.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:16 AM   #3
SLIMSHADIE

x2 on the Reese Dual Cam. Worth every penny. I here the Equalizer is just as good, also. It does pull better, especially during the occasional thunderstorm.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:24 AM   #4
Paddler

Hi Desertjack,
What vehicle will you be towing the trailer with? Make, Model, wheelbase GVW, GCVW? Your hitch requirements are all based on the TV and TT combination. What works great on one rig might be over-kill on another rig.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:07 PM   #5
desertjack

answers

Hi Paddler
The info your requested:
T V ---2011 Nissan TItan 1/2 ton: Wheelbase--139 in: Length--244 in: GVWR--7100 lbs: GCWR--15100 lbs

I am going to go with systems rated at 1K /10K for either Reese SC or Equalizer E2 systems both of which I think are 2 point sway control systems OR with either Reese straight line or Equalizer 4 pt system. There are some big pricing differences with these systems (the 2 point ones much cheaper). ANd from what I've read so far I think I can install Reese products vs needing professional help with the Equalizer products. Considering truck info and trailer info do think a 2 point sway system would be adequate for what I am trying to tow or do I need to step up to the 4 point systems ?
Thanks for your interest and help
DesertJack
Old 05-17-2012, 06:56 PM   #6
Whitejack

I have/had the Equalizer E2 and had absolutely no problems with it.
It helped with weight distribution and not once did I ever have any sway when meeting/passing big rigs.
I was towing aCougar 31sqb which is >35'
I would recommend the Equalizer system to anyone.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:54 PM   #7
f6bits

I have the Equalizer 4-Point and it works for me and I enjoy its simplicity. I don’t see why you’d need professional help with it, as it’s strictly bolt-on. Just carefully follow the instructions.

If I were to do it again, I think I’d go with the Reese Dual-Cam. Maybe the grass is greener on the other side, but I like the Reese’s ability to center on the cams.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:03 PM   #8
Diesel Dude

Reese Dual Cam set it a forget it.
Diesel Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 03:17 AM   #9
fla-gypsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Dude View Post
Reese Dual Cam set it a forget it.
x2! After I got that thing dialed in (not difficult) it has been an incredible piece of equipment
Old 05-18-2012, 04:48 AM   #10
desertjack

thanks all

A big THANKS to all who helped me in this "huge decision"--Ha Ha !!
I went with the Reese Dual cam. I got a great price on a unit on sale and I think I can do the install maybe better than I could with the Equalizer as it required a thin wall 1 7/8 " socket of which I do not have but Equalizer would have sold me one for all of 62.00 !! ANd I wondered if hte Equalizer will make a lot of noise as it moves back and forth in the friction housing ?? It also looked like the Equalizer bars need to stay lubed for quiet operation vs maybe no need for such with the Reese. And I can buy parts for Reese products at my local Wal Mart, so, all that said, I went with Reese. It looks like a really nice set up and many here seem to prefer it so thanks to all of you who helped me in this decision.
DesertJack
Old 05-18-2012, 05:07 AM   #11
Laredo291OH

Hi desertjack,

I have a Reese dual cam that I like very well, however, it is not quiet. This is the only one I have ever been around so maybe mine isn't setup correctly, but at slow speeds when making turns you will definitely hear it making popping and snapping sounds. Mine is the round bar, not the trunnion. I do keep the ball greased and also the round bars where they go thru the hitch head.
Laredo291OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 11:21 AM   #12
desertjack

thanks

THanks Laredo 291
I'm sure thsi set up with have its share of surprises as most things in life do. My old wdh system used to groan around slow turns until I greased the ends of the bars. So if grease is needed for this setup grease it shall get. I just thought (though maybe in error) that this set jup LOOKED quieter than a bar system rubbing back and forth. But maybe not. Oh well at least its supposed to be a good system.
Old 05-19-2012, 01:00 PM   #13
jbsmith

The Equalizer needs to be lubed at the head, but you can purchase thick plastic pads for the trunion bars to ride on. This eliminates the noise as the bars slide back and forth, without significantly affecting the performance of the sway control.

2012 Keystone Cougar 331MKS
2018 RAM 3500 Laramie 6.7L DRW
B&W Companion
jbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:55 PM   #14
ls1mike

So I just bought a 32 Passport and the equlaizer 2 point sway hitch was part of the deal. Should I upgrade to the 4 point?
I thought having a longer wheel base truck helped. I have a long bed crew cab 3/4 ton. Do you think it is worth the extra money?
ls1mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 03:44 AM   #15
EcoboostKev

I have the Eqaul-i-zer 4 point and works great with my 32' trailer
https://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/...11_748-1-1.jpg
EcoboostKev is offline   Reply With Quote