Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-10-2022, 07:01 AM   #1
rosede

Fridg not igniting on gas

I have a Dometic refrigerator. I have not been able to get it to ignite on gas. I can hear the igniter clicking, but it never ignites. I purge the line by off/on three times within 10 seconds, but still does not ignite. I'm speculating that the gas solenoid needs to be replaced. Is there a way to troubleshoot, or should I just replace? If so, where can I get parts?

Thanks

Daryl

rosede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 07:07 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

I would turn the fridge on in LP and let it fault out. Then turn off for 10 seconds and try again, Do this 5 times. If you have an ohm meter or test light you can check for voltage at the gas valve.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 07:08 AM   #3
bsmith0404

Have you lit the stove and let the burners run for 30 seconds? That’s a better way to purge the LP lines. Then try the fridge process again. I’ve seen it where I had to crack the line to purge it, but that is rare.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 07:15 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Depending on the amount of air in the propane lines, the length of the propane lines and the time in recent storage (leaching propane out of the lines), it may take 3 or 4 "complete ignition cycles" to purge all the air out of the propane system. That means 3 or 4 "three attempts before lockout" cycles or a total of 12-16 clicking cycles.....

I'd first light all the stovetop burners, let them burn for a few minutes, if the furnace is near the refrigerator, set the thermostat to activate the furnace and see if it operates properly. Then, continue repeating the cycles.

My guess is that it will "start and run OK, once the air is all purged".....

That said, on a 2012 model trailer, you may have a gas control issue on the refrigerator, but I'd rule out every other possibility before throwing parts at it.

Remember, the gas flame is smaller than the pilot light on an old gas stove, and is difficult to see. You may have a "properly operating ignition system and, after it lights, the flame sensor is not "sensing the flame" and shutting down the system... After purging the gas lines, make sure there is/is not a flame and if the flame "lights but then dies down" I'd suspect the flame sensor is not working properly or is not "in the hot part of the burner flame"....

But, back to the initial problem, you may need to go through several "three attempt cycles" before you purge all the air out of the lines.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 07:32 AM   #5
rosede

Thanks for all of the replies.

Yes, I always light up the stove first and then try to get the refrigerator to ignite. I usually only have to then purge by turning off/on the fridg three times. That usually works.

The hot water heater and stove are inline with the fridg, but I'm not sure how the furnace is configured in. It's on the other side of the camper, so I'm guessing there is a T somewhere and it splits off. The hot water heater and stove both work on gas, so I'm surprised that the fridg doesn't.

I'll try more purging and see if I can get this to ignite.

Thanks for the tips.

Daryl

rosede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 09:04 AM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

If you do decide to loosen the gas line at the fridge be sure to use 2 wrenches. 1 to hold the fitting and 1 for the hose.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 10:31 AM   #7
ChuckS

Guessed at the Dometic model fridge... figure its a 2652... THis service manual.. if you dont have it will help you walk thru the problem, find the problem, and repair the problem

https://fourwheelcampers.com/NewDome...atorManual.pdf

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 01:47 PM   #8
hankpage
Site Team

If your fridge is in the slide out and you are trying to light it with the slide in, you may have a pinched gas line. Check under the slide to see if the hose is crimped.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas