Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 08-04-2022, 05:35 PM   #1
Alpine Custom Upgrade

First Tank of Propane Empty

We emptied our first tank of propane today after going camping every three weeks since we bought this Alpine 3650RL in December of 2021. Been through cold weather in Texas of 30's and 40's without using one drop of propane for heat. I kept one bottle turned off so I would know when the first one ran out. The first tank ran out today. I had installed a propane quick connect on the coach to connect to our grill and flat top a few weeks ago. The electric central heat unit I invented and installed has worked out well for saving propane in cold weather. For sure, this Texas heat is not time to even mention heating the coach but the intent was about how long my first tank of propane lasted by not using it for anything other than cooking. (I installed an electric water heater as well). Turned out well for us.
Gosh, we love our camping adventures!
2012 Freightliner M2 112 2L Conversions
450HP Detroit DD13 1,650 torque,
Allison 4000 automatic, 4.30 gear
Alpine Custom Upgrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 06:01 PM   #2
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine Custom Upgrade View Post
We emptied our first tank of propane today after going camping every three weeks since we bought this Alpine 3650RL in December of 2021. Been through cold weather in Texas of 30's and 40's without using one drop of propane for heat. I kept one bottle turned off so I would know when the first one ran out. The first tank ran out today. I had installed a propane quick connect on the coach to connect to our grill and flat top a few weeks ago. The electric central heat unit I invented and installed has worked out well for saving propane in cold weather. For sure, this Texas heat is not time to even mention heating the coach but the intent was about how long my first tank of propane lasted by not using it for anything other than cooking. (I installed an electric water heater as well). Turned out well for us.
Gosh, we love our camping adventures!
Interesting, I have RV Comfort Systems “Cheap Heat” is your system 240 volt?
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 08:23 PM   #3
bsmith0404

That’s awesome. We use the heat pump and fireplace as much as we can to heat as well. Just remember if the temps drop too much this winter, you need the furnace heat to warm the underbelly to keep the water lines from freezing.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 03:41 AM   #4
Alpine Custom Upgrade

Electric Central Heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Interesting, I have RV Comfort Systems “Cheap Heat” is your system 240 volt?
Hi Russ, yes, my electric central heat is 240 volt and 5,000 watt. 21 amps with a wall mounted thermostat. A complete stand alone unit with it's own blower. I had room under the floor and behind the basement wall panels. It works very well, produces more heat than we have ever needed, quiet and uses the return air grill in the steps to circulate the heated air back into the basement area to keep the pipe thawed in freezing weather.
Old 08-05-2022, 03:49 AM   #5
Alpine Custom Upgrade

Warm Underbelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
That’s awesome. We use the heat pump and fireplace as much as we can to heat as well. Just remember if the temps drop too much this winter, you need the furnace heat to warm the underbelly to keep the water lines from freezing.
It seems that since the electric furnace is mounted in the underbelly/basement area that the recirculated air that is brought through the return air grills in the steps provide enough heat to keep the pipes thawed.
Some people like to block off the return air grills in the stairs but then the heater, even a propane heater, has to draw it's air from the outside air through any gaps in the coroplast and then try heat the freezing air to an acceptable temperature to deliver into the coach AND the blower has to try to force the heated air out of the gaps around the slideout seals to let in more heated air.

Tags
propane, tank