Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 07-22-2022, 01:53 PM   #1
bsmith0404

Just Venting

Ok, I just have to vent a little. My wife helps to take care of an elderly lady. Last year she decided she was going to buy a 5th wheel and move into it full time. I have over an acre of land, so I told her she could keep it at my house until she got everything situated…..it’s still at my house, she’s paying me storage, but I’m still out there taking care of the batteries and tires and everything else that goes along with storing an rv.

Now we’re in the middle of a 30 day trip, she decides to buy another 5th wheel. Calls my wife the other day and says she’s gonna have the owner drop it off at the house….wtf? We have security cameras all around, so I’m watching as this thing arrives, it’s an old Dutchmen with serious delamination on the front sidewall between the front cap and bedroom window. She bought it site unseen from a private seller 4 hours away. It has one AC on a 34’ 5th wheel in southern NM. I don’t know why she bought it to begin with when her other one (a very nice Durango Gold) is still sitting on my lot. As I’m watching this guy back it in at the house and I’m seeing the damage, add to it all of this is happening while I’m away for a 30 day trip. Then I see my mother in law and the other lady taking the guy into my house to take care of paperwork I’m guessing. I don’t know this person, I’m not home and won’t be home for a couple of weeks, at this point my blood is starting to boil. I already have her fist RV, my wife’s uncles RV, another one I’m storing for a guy while he removes a snow cover from his lot so he can fit it, my mother in law has an RV there and I have my car trailer, utility trailer, and my 5th wheel that all need to be set behind the house. I know when I get home, I need to swap out hitches and start playing musical chairs with RVs to make room for everything and get it all organized. Plus I know someone is going to ask me to check things out and make any needed repairs. Did all of this just ruin my vacation? Sorry, I’ll get off my soapbox now, I just had to vent a bit.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 02:14 PM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

Brent, RV storage facilities are not allowed to post on this forum. The made me do it.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 02:16 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

I'd be on the phone to the elderly lady to tell her you will be home in 2 weeks and she needs to have a place to put those trailers because you are going to haul them somewhere. I would definitely tell her you were trying to be nice to begin with but you don't run a storage barn. Then you can relax and enjoy the rest of your vacation knowing it will all be over in a couple of weeks.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 02:24 PM   #4
roadglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
Ok, I just have to vent a little. My wife helps to take care of an elderly lady. Last year she decided she was going to buy a 5th wheel and move into it full time. I have over an acre of land, so I told her she could keep it at my house until she got everything situated…..it’s still at my house, she’s paying me storage, but I’m still out there taking care of the batteries and tires and everything else that goes along with storing an rv.

Now we’re in the middle of a 30 day trip, she decides to buy another 5th wheel. Calls my wife the other day and says she’s gonna have the owner drop it off at the house….wtf? We have security cameras all around, so I’m watching as this thing arrives, it’s an old Dutchmen with serious delamination on the front sidewall between the front cap and bedroom window. She bought it site unseen from a private seller 4 hours away. It has one AC on a 34’ 5th wheel in southern NM. I don’t know why she bought it to begin with when her other one (a very nice Durango Gold) is still sitting on my lot. As I’m watching this guy back it in at the house and I’m seeing the damage, add to it all of this is happening while I’m away for a 30 day trip. Then I see my mother in law and the other lady taking the guy into my house to take care of paperwork I’m guessing. I don’t know this person, I’m not home and won’t be home for a couple of weeks, at this point my blood is starting to boil. I already have her fist RV, my wife’s uncles RV, another one I’m storing for a guy while he removes a snow cover from his lot so he can fit it, my mother in law has an RV there and I have my car trailer, utility trailer, and my 5th wheel that all need to be set behind the house. I know when I get home, I need to swap out hitches and start playing musical chairs with RVs to make room for everything and get it all organized. Plus I know someone is going to ask me to check things out and make any needed repairs. Did all of this just ruin my vacation? Sorry, I’ll get off my soapbox now, I just had to vent a bit.
Not to mention it’s been over 100 degrees most every day . I know this because where a hour apart .
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 02:24 PM   #5
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
Brent, RV storage facilities are not allowed to post on this forum. The made me do it.
I’m just wondering how long my neighbors will put up with all these trailers that just keep “appearing”. The worst part, the uncle has his trailer there for free, that was a couple month deal about 9 months ago. He and his son were supposed go over and take care of weeds for us while we were gone. It’s monsoon season so things are actually growing. I look at the camera and all I see are weeds taking over my little pines I planted last year. I asked him about the weeds, he has all kinds of excuses why he hasn’t made it yet. I should get rid of the dang cameras so I don’t know what’s going on, then I could enjoy the trip and just get upset when I got home.
Old 07-22-2022, 02:26 PM   #6
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadglide View Post
Not to mention it’s been over 100 degrees most every day . I know this because where a hour apart .
Yep. I don’t know what she was thinking buying a 5th wheel with one AC. She can’t even get up the stairs. I need to build her a ramp. I guess I’m building two ramps now…..I don’t know.
Old 07-22-2022, 02:27 PM   #7
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I'd be on the phone to the elderly lady to tell her you will be home in 2 weeks and she needs to have a place to put those trailers because you are going to haul them somewhere. I would definitely tell her you were trying to be nice to begin with but you don't run a storage barn. Then you can relax and enjoy the rest of your vacation knowing it will all be over in a couple of weeks.
They’re definitely getting moved, one way or another. Of course, she doesn’t drive or have a truck, so guess who’s doing that?
Old 07-22-2022, 02:48 PM   #8
jasin1

i don’t let anyone store things on our property..had a friends mother 10-15 years ago that stored an old Jaguar on our back property for a “couple of months”….turned into a couple of years..had to tell her it was going to the scrapyard…

if i were you i’d be afraid of someone moving into those fifth wheels and refusing to leave…
you’ll have a whole new set of problems
Old 07-22-2022, 02:51 PM   #9
Balvar24

Sometimes it seems as if peoples actions are only to serve as cautionary tales to others.
Balvar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 02:51 PM   #10
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
i don’t let anyone store things on our property..had a friends mother 10-15 years ago that stored an old Jaguar on our back property for a “couple of months”….turned into a couple of years..had to tell her it was going to the scrapyard…

if i were you i’d be afraid of someone moving into those fifth wheels and refusing to leave…
you’ll have a whole new set of problems
That’s what the S&W is for. Fortunately, right now anyway, they don’t have power to them and it’s 100+ in NM. If anyone tries moving into them, they’ll most likely die from heat stroke.
Old 07-22-2022, 04:21 PM   #11
Bustinbeards

No good deed goes unpunished. Good luck resolving this issue
Old 07-22-2022, 07:37 PM   #12
travelin texans

After this incident being taken advantage of your good nature I'd have to make a few phone calls to cousins, uncles, friends & neighbors to let ALL know they have 2 weeks or until just before you arrive to get their rvs parked somewhere anywhere but your yard! Or the 1st months rent is due in cash when you get home!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 10:51 PM   #13
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
After this incident being taken advantage of your good nature I'd have to make a few phone calls to cousins, uncles, friends & neighbors to let ALL know they have 2 weeks or until just before you arrive to get their rvs parked somewhere anywhere but your yard! Or the 1st months rent is due in cash when you get home!
Not a bad idea. Right now I can’t even get my own trailers and RV positioned where I want them. Time for some stuff to go.
Old 07-23-2022, 02:36 AM   #14
flybouy
Site Team

I'd make those calls and tell everyone that the county gave you an order to clear the property within 30 days or they will impound any any untagged vehichle not titled in your name.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 03:52 AM   #15
wrvond

Seems like you’ve also got a house key that needs to be reclaimed.

wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 06:46 AM   #16
CedarCreekWoody

My takeaway from all of this: Las Cruces has a monsoon season? Who knew??
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 11:10 AM   #17
Weldon

Last camping trip we left the cg after bkfast to spend all day at my sisters house. We came back at 10:30 pm. The spot across from us had 20 chairs in front and were apparently doing drunk karaoke. I gave my subtle hints...locking my truck, turning off our lights, etc. to let them know we were going to bed. It took a "random" call to the front office for the patrol to come shut them down. They also brought a bike for all dozen kids and left them laying all over their site and partially on each of their neighbors. When I pulled up originally, they had their boat in my spot. I called the office then as well.

We've stayed at wind creek a dozen times, and we've never had redneck neighbors like this before. Their Grandma decided just after I setup to walk through our site. And she acted offended when I called her out on it. Needless to say, we didn't talk or socialize with them the entire 5 nights we were there.
Weldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 11:29 AM   #18
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
My takeaway from all of this: Las Cruces has a monsoon season? Who knew??
Every year, July-Sep. There have been some bad floods in the past as well. Back in 2004 Alamogordo had very bad flooding. People had water 3’ deep in their houses.
Old 07-23-2022, 11:56 AM   #19
CedarCreekWoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
Every year, July-Sep. There have been some bad floods in the past as well. Back in 2004 Alamogordo had very bad flooding. People had water 3’ deep in their houses.
I'm driving through next month, maybe a shower will cool it down.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 02:24 PM   #20
wegone

I think this is where a white lie is acceptable....

Tell EVERYONE that you are giving some serious thought to putting the house on the market, and as such, they ALL need to go.

Once they get moved, don't let them back in, as you are still thinking about putting he house up for sale.
wegone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent