Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2022, 05:10 AM   #1
gearhead

The gas cards?

Rather than derail a current thread as is my custom, could we discuss in one thread what discount gas card some of you use? Like, why do you prefer your favorite card, have you used other cards besides the one you currently like and use? What was it about other cards you didn't like?
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 06:06 AM   #2
revrusty

I have 3 cards or options that I use depending on the situation. First though, understand that I am not a full time traveler and most of the time when I do travel I am heading for a destination that will take days and I am interested in getting there as quickly as reasonably possible. Which means that others will talk about searching out stations off the main path that often have better prices but I often don't want to unhook while travelling.

So, I often us a TSD card when using truck stops. This can get a reasonable discount at TA and others. The app is easy to use and DW usually finds a good place.
If I do have time to unhook and search for a better price, I use either a Sam's club credit card, which pays 5% cash back on fuel purchases at any station ( and occasionally runs a special as they did in June of 10% cash back at any Sam's club on Saturdays) or I use a Duck's Unlimited visa card which also pays 5% cash back and my DW tells me it is very easy to apply the cash back to the bill online.
I have loyalty cards for various truck stops as they also offer other benefits like a free coffee after so many purchases.

2021 Ram 3500 megacab w/ cummins 6.7HO, SRW
Cougar 25 MLE , 2024
revrusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 08:27 AM   #3
travelin texans

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if my memory serves me the TSD card is only good for diesel in the truck lanes.
BTW, to those new to towing there IS NOT gasoline in the truck lanes, ONLY diesel!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 08:39 AM   #4
revrusty

you are correct about the tsd for diesel. They have been claiming on their web site that gas is coming soon. Claiming for a while!

2021 Ram 3500 megacab w/ cummins 6.7HO, SRW
Cougar 25 MLE , 2024
revrusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 09:24 AM   #5
wiredgeorge

I don't generally buy gas from truck stops but buy from the Valero about 7 miles from my home. They have a big rig pump for diesel and I tried using it once... couldn't figure out how so just sat till bubba bought his lotto ticket and beer and cleared the only regular pump with diesel. Folks seem to enjoy parking in the shade of the covered gas/diesel pump and going in to buy lotto tickets and beer and not fuel and making poor souls like myself wait for them to come out and hopefully not finished the whole can of beer next to the only diesel pump.

My favorite card? My credit union debit card I guess.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 10:50 AM   #6
gearhead

Anyone heard of a Tailgate card?
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 06-29-2022, 11:19 AM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrusty View Post
I have 3 cards or options that I use depending on the situation. First though, understand that I am not a full time traveler and most of the time when I do travel I am heading for a destination that will take days and I am interested in getting there as quickly as reasonably possible. Which means that others will talk about searching out stations off the main path that often have better prices but I often don't want to unhook while travelling.

So, I often us a TSD card when using truck stops. This can get a reasonable discount at TA and others. The app is easy to use and DW usually finds a good place.
If I do have time to unhook and search for a better price, I use either a Sam's club credit card, which pays 5% cash back on fuel purchases at any station ( and occasionally runs a special as they did in June of 10% cash back at any Sam's club on Saturdays) or I use a Duck's Unlimited visa card which also pays 5% cash back and my DW tells me it is very easy to apply the cash back to the bill online.
I have loyalty cards for various truck stops as they also offer other benefits like a free coffee after so many purchases.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Anyone heard of a Tailgate card?
Nope but I have a pack of Bicycle cards! Sorry, sometimes I just can't help myself.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 12:44 PM   #8
gearhead

I got cornered in a truck stop store by a guy talking about another card that hasn't been mentioned. He wouldn't shut up about it and gave me a brochure that I put somewhere. I thought it was Tailgate. Maybe not.
So, from previous threads it seems there are some substantial discounts. Some so substantial that it seems more than the profit margin. How do they do that?
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 06-30-2022, 02:36 AM   #9
RickV

Like Rusty posted I use TSD, Sam's CC, and Costco CC (which gives 4% back). I usually do some advance planning on travel days to know where we want to fuel up. Sometimes even though the TSD is cheaper at first glance once you figure in the 5% from the Sams CC it is better to fuel up after dropping the 5er at a regular station. I have also used the Mudflaps app and even though the prices aren't as good as the TSD I can use my Sams CC and so it ends up being cheaper sometimes.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 01:43 PM   #10
jxnbbl

I have:
TSD card
Mobile / shaws discount

irving discount
gas buddy
Bank of america 3% back
mudflap app

The highlight are somewhat useless where we live, but useful when traveling. The Bank of America card is probably the most useful in general...but after a long trip and many fill-ups I hit the $2500 a quarter limit.
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 08:16 PM   #11
bsmith0404

Use the TSD when traveling with the rv. Just easier to use the truck lanes. You can use the app to see what the discount is ahead of time and choose where you want to stop

I have a Valero card as well, mainly because they seem to be plentiful and there’s one just down the street from the house so it’s convenient. I’ve gotten used to the app and now really like it. Pull up, open the app in my phone, it locates the station I’m at, put in the pump # I’m on, it authorizes the pump and the. Emails me the receipt when I’m done. Instant 10 cents off.

I can still get diesel cheaper at the T/A with the TSD card than using the 10 cent discount at Valero, but the T/A is on the other side of town so I don’t fill up there unless I need to go to that part of town.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 01:48 AM   #12
RickV

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxnbbl View Post
I have:
TSD card
Mobile / shaws discount

irving discount
gas buddy
Bank of america 3% back
mudflap app

The highlight are somewhat useless where we live, but useful when traveling. The Bank of America card is probably the most useful in general...but after a long trip and many fill-ups I hit the $2500 a quarter limit.
Like Jay posted I noticed that there is only one TSD Stop and one Mudflaps stop in NH and it is south of Portsmouth. We are leaving Twin Mountain NH today heading up to NE Maine there are no TSD or Mudflaps locations in Maine. Topped off yesterday and should have enough fuel to get where I am going. Good thing is we will be there until mid August so one I drop the 5ver can use regular stations.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 07:11 AM   #13
Mike Salois

I have a Conoco/Phillips 66 card tied to their fuel app and get .25 cents off a gallon. Pretty easy.
Mike Salois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 07:50 AM   #14
Tom-67X

Another Sam's Club 5% user here. As a backup, I always carry my AmEx Blue Preferred (4%) since they have employed me the last 17+ years, and as last resort a Costco/Citi (4%).
Tom-67X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 08:20 AM   #15
travelin texans

Most of the Sam's Clubs & Costco's near me I wouldn't dream of even trying to fuel up with any size trailer in tow. Between the crowded streets into/out of the stores, screwy pump layout that you might could pull into but most likely will have to back out of, usually long lines & the idiots at the pumps, NO WAY I'm hauling a trailer into them to save a $1. Most times it's not worth the aggravation to stop at them in my car!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 08:25 AM   #16
Javi

Oklahoma Credit Card..
Old 07-07-2022, 09:48 AM   #17
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Oklahoma Credit Card..

^^^Used to be my favorite. Had to give it up because using it just left a "bad taste in my mouth".
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 01:32 PM   #18
rlh1957

I have two or three discount cards. No one single card is good for discounts everywhere and prices can change daily do you have to scope out prices and best discounted price offered.
The Gas Buddy app doesn’t reflect discounted prices or what that card offers.

I use TFS, EFS and now Escapees has partnered up and has fleet discount rates.

A little research work before planned fuel stops… Yes.
But you can save .15 to .50 per gallon over Cash prices.

A few of the cards only apply discount on Diesel in the Truck lanes and no discount on DEF.

Some new services have begun to offer discount on gas as well.

2020 Cougar Half Ton 29RKS Fifth Wheel
2019 F350 4WD Lariat SRW 6.7 Diesel SD
Anderson Ultimate 5th Hitch - JT Strongarm TST509 TPMS- 2200W(8)Solar Panels - 800AH BattleBorn Batteries. 3000W Victron MultiPlus II Inv. SoftStartRV on 2 AC’s - Predator 3500 generator Airlift 5000 bags
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 06:35 PM   #19
imolaed

We just returned from a 2000 mile trip to yellowstone. The trip was GREAT, the restriction of entry based on odd-even was wonderful. NO CROWDS!!

Back to diesel. We used gas buddies and on this trip we try to use Maverick ($0.02) discount. It was typically $0.25 to $0.50 less than TA & Flying J. Based on some of the above comments I checked out "fuel cards". I honestly to not see any benefits. None would be less than Maverick. I also use my Costco CC for all transactions. Maybe back east it is different but west of Montana - Arizona, we will stay with Gas Buddies - Costco
imolaed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 02:55 AM   #20
ludiviatest

I'm from Europe, and I just started to search for a good gas card, it seems like this winter, all gas expenses will rise by a huge value, so I'm looking for a good card. If someone has a good option of a gas card for the Europe region, please let me know. I'm looking for a solid credit card plus cashback bonus card.

Unfortunately, I'm not from Canada, and I have difficulty finding this type of offer in my country. Thank you for your answers in advance. I hope anyone from you will be able to help me with this problem.
ludiviatest is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas