Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 06-27-2022, 10:25 AM   #1
Thetravelnursenp

V10 towing Keystone Premier

***I realize I have made this thread under New Member Check In and am unable to find how to delete this thread in editing so I can post this under the TT section. Sorry, admin!

Hey ya'll!

Apologies if there's already a thread about V10s towing Keystones somewhere, but here goes. I'll copy paste the specs of the TV and RV below:

The RV:
2021 Keystone Premier 34bi. Everything works wonderfully.
7398# dry wt
9198# wet

The TV:
2002 F250 SC 4x4 XLT SRW V10 automatic with 100k miles. Original motor & chassis.
8800#s GVWR
6600#s on CAT
2 passengers 340#s at most, will mostly be 1 passenger @170
3.73 gears
New/upgraded shocks/struts, tie rods, & spark plugs installed. All fluids replaced.
Getting WDH

My main thought is this: According to Ford's manufacturer website, this truck had a 4.30 rear gearing option from the factory. Stock 3.73 f250s have a towing capacity of 10500# and those equipped with 4.30s have 12500#. It seems as if this single factor would allow that 2000# capacity difference. I have a pic specific for this year's (2002) f250's spec options from the factory shown below. So long as the rest of the suspension/chassis & drivetrain are in good shape, would this one factor difference theoretically be true swapping from 3.73 to 4.30 gears? I realize this is a keystone forum but thought I would share here too. Thanks!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Conventional Towing chart 2002 F250.png
Views:	87
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	40477
Thetravelnursenp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 10:38 AM   #2
bsmith0404

Yes, changing from a 3:73 to a 4:30 can make that big of a difference. I’m some vehicles getting a tow package/lower gear also adds things like a transmission cooler, but the F250 should already have that
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 11:18 AM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

The following comments are coming from a guy that won't keep a TV, or any vehicle, until 100k. Tried one time and my FORD left me on the side of the road at 96k miles so said never again. 40-50k is my limit. On the other hand I used to buy older vehicles to build up and modify and have quite a lot experience at that.

At 100k miles on your TV the shocks, tie rods and plugs are good. Depending on the life it has led many other things could present a problem when faced with towing a heavy load for lots of miles; springs, transmission, ball joints, u joints...the list is very long. If it's had a hard life the power steering gear box, pitman arm, drag links etc. might need help to keep it from wandering from the white line to the center stripe.

Living in Arvada going to a 4.30 would be beneficial. Remember you will have to change the ring and pinions front and back on a 4x4. Haven't looked it up but wouldn't surprise me if the gears themselves weren't 1500 in these times. If you have the work done it would probably push toward 3k. The 4.30 will help with the mountains but will also eat up more gas and the V10 is bad anyway. The lower gearing will also put more strain on the drivetrain when you accelerate which very well may help you find weak spots at the wrong time.

On a truck 20 years old you need to go through the brakes and make sure they are up to snuff. It the brake fluid hasn't been changed I would do it. You said all fluids had been replaced, I assume that means the tranny and differentials? If it were me I would just replace the radiator because at that age there is no telling what's in it and cooling in those mountains is going to be important. It should have some kind of secondary cooling for the transmission but make sure it does.

The list is endless but it will be much more than shocks. Additionally the 4.30 appears to increase the "towing capacity" by about 1900lbs, which seems like a bit much but..., remember your PAYLOAD is only 2200lbs. (8800 gvw - 6600 cat scale) and the 4.30 does nothing for that so it remains the same. The "towing capacity" is really meaningless but the "payload" will dictate (generally) how much you can put on the truck. That trailer at a 13% tongue weight at gvw would be about 1200lbs. leaving you about 1k lbs. which should be doable. Realize that at that point you are pushing the truck to be able to perform at the highest level it was designed for new. Just some thoughts for your consideration.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 11:53 AM   #4
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
The following comments are coming from a guy that won't keep a TV, or any vehicle, until 100k. Tried one time and my FORD left me on the side of the road at 96k miles so said never again. 40-50k is my limit. On the other hand I used to buy older vehicles to build up and modify and have quite a lot experience at that..
Wow, the GM dealer would have loved me if I had that philosophy when I was transporting, would have been buying a new truck about every 4 months. Have had several trucks with over (well over 100k miles and never got left on the side of the road.
Old 06-27-2022, 12:02 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
Wow, the GM dealer would have loved me if I had that philosophy when I was transporting, would have been buying a new truck about every 4 months. Have had several trucks with over (well over 100k miles and never got left on the side of the road.
They do love me. I know either the GM, owner and/or sales managers (or all of the above) at the dealers I trade with. I'm sure you're happy driving whatever you have and I'm certainly happy driving what I like.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 12:20 PM   #6
bsmith0404

My last Duramax had 170k on it when I traded it in on the current one. Of course, I checked over everything every 5k miles, that was one weeks driving, and had meticulous maintenance practices with it (I didn’t want to be stranded on the side of the word). Everything was still original on it except tires and one NOX sensor. Don’t put nearly as many miles on them now. The current Duramax is getting to the point where you’d be getting rid of it. I always upgrade stuff though, deeper tranny pan, deeper diff cover, oil bypass system, FASS system, Amsoil fluids. I’ll see what the truck market is like in about 10 years and decide if it’s time to get a new truck or not.
Old 06-28-2022, 03:42 AM   #7
spicercars

Welcome from northern MN.
Old 06-28-2022, 08:31 AM   #8
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
Notice he said his "FORD" left him stranded! Sounds about normal!
As to the OP, that V10 with a 100k miles probably gets less mpg now than when newer, so if you get 8 mpg towing with either of the rear end gear ratios you should consider yourself lucky.
Said it before & I'll say it again, that Ford V10.will pass everything on the highway but a gas station.......til it breaks down!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 09:09 AM   #9
wiredgeorge

For all you Ford critics..... pwhhhhhhhhhhht You old guys sure do get critical of other folks' rides. Best truck is one with sufficient payload and is paid off.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 09:22 AM   #10
Gkri

George - I learned the hard way, the best truck was the one my wife picked out...
2022 Sierra 2500 HD, 6.6L Gasser
Gkri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 09:24 AM   #11
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
For all you Ford critics..... pwhhhhhhhhhhht You old guys sure do get critical of other folks' rides. Best truck is one with sufficient payload and is paid off.
Yup!! I had an ‘86 F250 that never skipped a beat. Current rig went across the country in ‘09 without a single complaint yanking the Jayco in sig. I work on autos on the side and I LOVE CHEVY’s- made a boatload of money off them.

George: I wholeheartedly agree, the best TV is the one that’s paid for and big enough.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 10:19 AM   #12
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
I work on autos on the side and I LOVE CHEVY’s- made a boatload of money off them. .
I’ll agree with that, I live Chevys for the same reason. When I turned wrenches I always loved that simple 15 min job that paid for 30 min or an hour of labor. I could work 20 hours a week and get paid for 35. I absolutely hated the in depth 8 hour jobs, seemed like they always took 9 or 10 hours. Give me the simple fix/chevy any day.
Old 06-28-2022, 02:55 PM   #13
flybouy
Site Team

I never understood some of the brand loyalty. Never could understand folks spending money to advertise for a company. I've owned many vehichles in many flavors bought both new and used, foreign and domestic. My loyalty was always to my bank account. Whoever I could get the best deal I bought. I honestly can't say one particular brand was always hitting home runs nor any one brand was a complete failure. But that's just me. I do get a chuckle when folks staunchly defend a brand like they are a paid spokesperson though.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 06:46 AM   #14
Thetravelnursenp

Yep! Its foolish to be brand loyal IMHO. Whatever you can get a good deal on is where it's at. And at least have an idea what you're getting into. I got this truck for $6k knowing it would need some suspension & drivetrain TLC and am not in the market for a $30-40k TV. I'm relatively new to the truck community and I've owned various drift cars. Instead of purchasing an expensive BMW, I bought a Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 MT a decade ago not giving a f%ck about brands and could still tandem with the best of other performance brands. I've driven this car *Hard* at PPIR and have driven it home same day.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171015_012728.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	295.6 KB
ID:	40508  
Thetravelnursenp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 08:07 AM   #15
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I never understood some of the brand loyalty. Never could understand folks spending money to advertise for a company. I've owned many vehichles in many flavors bought both new and used, foreign and domestic. My loyalty was always to my bank account. Whoever I could get the best deal I bought. I honestly can't say one particular brand was always hitting home runs nor any one brand was a complete failure. But that's just me. I do get a chuckle when folks staunchly defend a brand like they are a paid spokesperson though.
We are all giving advice about towing with inadequate tow vehicles, so in that "just our best advice".category some of us have stated that a certain brand of truck is sub standard in our opinion, not necessarily brand loyal or advertising for the others just have had bad luck with that one & offering advice.
After driving that one brand of truck 200+ miles daily for 30+ years I would/will never buy one! Cheaper is not always the best option, which is why the company leased that brand, you usually get what you pay for!
As for family cars we've owned a couple Jeep brand vehicles, several GM models & even a Ford car or 2, in all of the brands have had issues with only a couple. Am now driving a Kia Sorento, bought due to price & warranty, after 15 months & 30k miles am very impressed.
Sorry for the rant! Just felt the need to express MY opinion! YMMV!
Replacement undetermined
Old 06-29-2022, 09:05 AM   #16
notanlines

If I had a dime every time the usual resident bashers come on with their same crapola I could afford to drive for a case of Bud. Maybe the worst of those has no truck period, and is now driving a Kia.
Ever notice how people without a dollar to call their own are inclined to give financial advice? I'm just sayin'....
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 09:13 AM   #17
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
…and is now driving a Kia.
Ever notice how people without a dollar to call their own are inclined to give financial advice? I'm just sayin'....
Hey now, why a KIA?

Papa Chuck has SOUL…2016 Soul to be exact, and a pair of hamsters on the dash taking point.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 09:13 AM   #18
wiredgeorge

Quote:
If I had a dime every time the usual resident bashers come on with their same crapola I could afford to drive for a case of Bud. Maybe the worst of those has no truck period, and is now driving a Kia.
Perhaps it is time for this urinary olympics to turn to some more interesting subject like... say, let's talk about tires. Marshall, you reckon you will ever change the stripes on that tigger?

OK, how much air pressure should the OP put in his tires? Wish the guy from Europe would jump in as that usually will get things moving in some other direction....
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 09:43 AM   #19
travelin texans

Quote:
Nope currently have no truck nor rv, but have had both for most of my adult life with hundreds of thousands of miles towing all sorts of trailers personally & professionally, so I believe I'm as qualified as any, & more than most, here to give my advice on about anything concerning rvs, trucks or towing.
As for the Kia, after countless hours of research & comparisons YES I own a Kia, if you don't want one don't buy one. If however you'd look around you'd notice there's LOTS of them & their cousin Hynduai on the highways so there must be a reason. If they're offering 10 year/100,000 mile warranties I'm guessing they're confident they'll last that long so I'm betting on it. I don't think any of the big 3 offer that without the consumer paying extra for it.
If you don't like my comments or advice don't read it!
Now back to our regularly scheduled program!
Replacement undetermined
Old 06-29-2022, 10:21 AM   #20
madweazl

Ford's V10 was a solid engine after '00. I had an '01 F250 with it and never had an issue. Think we kept that to about 130k before I went diesel. It towed our 30' toyhauler well but it was thirsty (averaged 6-7mpg on the highway around 60-65mph) with the 4.30 rear gears. Pretty sure both had the same Sterling rear end.

Tags
keystone, towing, tow, premier