Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-20-2022, 03:55 AM   #1
HouseMouse

The Frame or the Axle?

Just getting prepared for our first Shake-Down run in September. Not going too far just in case. New tires upon our return. Question... "In Case" of a blowout, is it best to jack up the Frame or the Axle to change out the tire? Owners manual states the Frame but, there are many videos our there showing jack on the Axle. Not sure what is the Right Way or the Best Way. Would like to hear some opinions.
HouseMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 04:27 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

If you have self leveling I would use it. Manual mode and lift affected side. Otherwise you can use a good jack under the axle at the spring mount. Lifting the frame may require a TALL jack or lots of blocks.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 04:39 AM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

I carry a Trailer Aid Plus for that. It's a plastic ramp with a saddle for the tire to set in. Drive the inflated tire up on the ramp and the flat will come off the ground. That and my Dewalt cordless impact gun are the fastest most painless way I know of to change a flat. You can accomplish the same thing with wood blocks built the Trailer Aid is an easy throw it down, drive up on it device that makes life easy IMO.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 05:30 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Some good advice above but I've found that I prefer roadside assistance if I'm on the shoulder of an Interstate with non stop 80mph traffic passing 2-3' away....I'll let THOSE guys play in the traffic.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 07:28 AM   #5
dutchmensport

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I carry a Trailer Aid Plus for that. It's a plastic ramp with a saddle for the tire to set in. Drive the inflated tire up on the ramp and the flat will come off the ground. That and my Dewalt cordless impact gun are the fastest most painless way I know of to change a flat. You can accomplish the same thing with wood blocks built the Trailer Aid is an easy throw it down, drive up on it device that makes life easy IMO.
I made my own:

And I carry it with me like this:

Old 06-20-2022, 10:51 AM   #6
hawghauler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
I made my own:

And I carry it with me like this:

Solid design and planning at work right here
hawghauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 03:23 AM   #7
ChuckS

I use my six point hydraulic level up to loft tires off the ground for both annual brake and wheel bearing maintenance as well as if I needed to put the spare tire on.

I don’t use roadside assistance.. not gonna sit somewhere for who knows how long t9 change a flat when I can do it myself in less than 15 minutes.

There may come a day when I have to get some sort of roadside assistance but at age 68 I am more than capable of doing anything mechanical on my fifth wheel

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 03:51 AM   #8
jasin1

my neighbor just got a new ram 1500 pickup….his front tire blew out on his maybe 6 or 7 year old ram while on a long sweeping ramp into Baltimore City….he said he didn’t want to stop right there to try and change it so he drove to a safe spot….the tire came apart and ripped out his computer and wiring harness and the truck died…insurance totaled it out i guess because of the chip shortage.

i don’t think i’m gonna attempt to change a flat on the traffic side of my fifth wheel…too many people looking at their phones or distracted these days…probably a good idea to keep the spare loose in the back of the truck so you can swap it out easily and not dawdle around on the side of the road like you have all day…make it like a nascar pit crew
Old 06-24-2022, 04:01 AM   #9
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
my neighbor just got a new ram 1500 pickup….his front tire blew out on his maybe 6 or 7 year old ram while on a long sweeping ramp into Baltimore City….he said he didn’t want to stop right there to try and change it so he drove to a safe spot….the tire came apart and ripped out his computer and wiring harness and the truck died…insurance totaled it out i guess because of the chip shortage.

i don’t think i’m gonna attempt to change a flat on the traffic side of my fifth wheel…too many people looking at their phones or distracted these days…probably a good idea to keep the spare loose in the back of the truck so you can swap it out easily and not dawdle around on the side of the road like you have all day…make it like a nascar pit crew
So he drove 15 miles away from the city? I think it's all situational. You have to make a judgement call on the risk of changing a tire where you're at vs the risk of limping along until you arrive at a "safe" place. I don't see it as a one size fits all situation or a call that can be second guessed by Monday morning QBs. JMO
Old 06-24-2022, 04:09 AM   #10
RickV

Quote:
This is what I have also. Had to add a 2x8 to the bottom of it to get enough clearance.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 04:16 AM   #11
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickV View Post
This is what I have also. Had to add a 2x8 to the bottom of it to get enough clearance.
Mine is the "plus" which means it has a thick layer of rubber in the saddle. It raises the the other tire with about 2" of clearence but the axles on mine are. Very close. I could see how it could require added height for other axle configurations.
Old 06-24-2022, 04:20 AM   #12
jasin1

Quote:
So he drove 15 miles away from the city? I think it's all situational. You have to make a judgement call on the risk of changing a tire where you're at vs the risk of limping along until you arrive at a "safe" place. I don't see it as a one size fits all situation or a call that can be second guessed by Monday morning QBs. JMO
Yeah he was on the ramp for 395 heading into Baltimore …he ended up broke down INSIDE Baltimore …I had a dually box truck some years ago and a guy that worked for me always cut right thru Baltimore as a shortcut to get home ..I told him not to do that but he was hardheaded. He once got two flats on one side of the dually as he had driven with the inside tire low for a while….I had to go down there at night and wait for a giant rollback to pick the truck up as it was full of tools and equipment …having employees can be …..let’s say …challenging…. at times
Old 06-24-2022, 04:41 AM   #13
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
Yeah he was on the ramp for 395 heading into Baltimore …he ended up broke down INSIDE Baltimore …I had a dually box truck some years ago and a guy that worked for me always cut right thru Baltimore as a shortcut to get home ..I told him not to do that but he was hardheaded. He once got two flats on one side of the dually as he had driven with the inside tire low for a while….I had to go down there at night and wait for a giant rollback to pick the truck up as it was full of tools and equipment …having employees can be …..let’s say …challenging…. at times
When you said long ramp that 395 ramp from 95 to the stadiums immediately came to mind. Balmer has always been a rough town but it's truly a shame how the state of things have deteriorated to these days.
Old 06-24-2022, 04:44 AM   #14
RickV

Quote:
Mine is the "plus" which means it has a thick layer of rubber in the saddle. It raises the the other tire with about 2" of clearence but the axles on mine are. Very close. I could see how it could require added height for other axle configurations.
Mine is the plus also. On my old 5ver with the same size tires and 16" wheels, I forget which axle front or rear would not allow the other tire to come off the ground. So I did the modification.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220624_8206.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	159.9 KB
ID:	40398  
Old 06-24-2022, 05:36 AM   #15
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Mine is the plus also. On my old 5ver with the same size tires and 16" wheels, I forget which axle front or rear would not allow the other tire to come off the ground. So I did the modification.
If it works that's all that counts. I've been fortunate and over the many years have had 2 flats. Both were my fualt as I rubbed a curb exiting a tight area. After the first time it happened I bought the trailer aid. Second occurrence was so much easier and faster.

I'm not a fan of lying under a vehichle on the side of the road with my feet hanging out in traffic. Also not a fan of lying in dirt, mud, oil, grease whatever to use a jack under the axle. Also don't like the idea of laying in front of the front axle considering what might happen if someone runs into the back of the trailer.

I do like the idea of grabbing one item that I can drop in front of or behind a tire and drive up on it. The saddle eliminates the need for chocking the tire. I keep my Dewalt 1/2" drive 20v impact gun in the bed of the truck with the socket for the lugnut on it. I can change a tire quickly with minimal body exposure even with my physical defecits.

I do have roadside assistance but I'm a "mitigate the risk" sort of person. IMO taking reasonable precautions and taking 5 min to replace a tire is less risky than setting there potentially for hours waiting on the calvary to arrive. I'll call for roadside assistance if God forbid an axle spindle melts down or a spring breaks, etc.

This is what works for me, YMMV
Old 06-24-2022, 05:38 AM   #16
HouseMouse

Quote:
I just got one. Should do the job just fine.
Old 06-24-2022, 05:57 AM   #17
dutchmensport

"You can accomplish the same thing with wood blocks built the Trailer Aid is an easy throw it down, drive up on it device that makes life easy IMO."

Ahhh.... the difference between the Trailer Aid and my home-made, monsterously heavy block is the fact, mine cost nothing! I'm a tight a$$ when it comes to anything I can make or do myself opposed to spending money!

I scalped the wood from an old collapsed barn years and years ago. Actually, I collected several pieces, mostly the 4x4 or the 6x6 posts. The wood is over 150 years old, actually petrified now its so old. The only thing it cost me was a little time and a little bit of brain power using my imagination. I had to use a chain saw to cut it.
Old 06-24-2022, 07:29 AM   #18
RickV

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseMouse View Post
I just got one. Should do the job just fine.
Try it out before you need it. That's how I found out mine needed the additional wood underneath.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
Old 06-24-2022, 07:46 AM   #19
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Try it out before you need it. That's how I found out mine needed the additional wood underneath.
That's always good advice. I recall sometime back Keystone would sell trailers with alloy wheels and a steel spare. When folks went to mount the spare (to change a flat) just to discover that the acorn style nuts wouldn't work on the steel wheel. Always pays to check out these things to eliminate the surprises BEFORE it becomes a necessity.
Old 06-24-2022, 07:49 AM   #20
HouseMouse

Quote:
Thanks for the Heads Up! I will check it out shortly. Getting ready to turn the 5er 180 and at that point, I will do so.

Tags
axle