Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 07-16-2022, 08:32 AM   #181
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I feel sorry for them. They have no clue what they are doing and yet they got you to spread their message. This is the downside of YouTube IMO.
And then there's those FB know it alls that couldn't pour p### out of a boot with instructions on the heel giving advice on so many subjects, it's absolutely scary!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 05:54 AM   #182
Badbart56

Check this out!

https://www.wtsp.com/article/news/lo...e-fca01dc40cc4

Wow! Is there a battery shortage?! So I get from this that you can expect to get about 60K miles and/or 7 years out of a battery. Then you shell out $14K plus installation or you have a $500 car?!

My 2004 CTS V has 209K miles on it and still running strong! Just sayin.....

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 06:04 AM   #183
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbart56 View Post
Check this out!

https://www.wtsp.com/article/news/lo...e-fca01dc40cc4

Wow! Is there a battery shortage?! So I get from this that you can expect to get about 60K miles and/or 7 years out of a battery. Then you shell out $14K plus installation or you have a $500 car?!

My 2004 CTS V has 209K miles on it and still running strong! Just sayin.....
Sad, but also funny thing about that "simple reality" is that it's the same way with solar landscape lights, solar security lights and most other "lithium battery devices". Try buying/replacing the battery in a Samsung cell phone lately ??? The battery, if you can find one, costs as much as a "used/recertified phone"....

It's been "cheaper to just replace these types of things" than it is to try to replace the battery.

Oh, same goes for car/truck parts for conventional vehicles as well. Anyone tried to find a catalytic converter assembly for a Ford diesel lately ???

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 12:21 PM   #184
wiredgeorge

Tesla asking Texas customers to not charge due to the overloaded electrical grid:

https://freedomheadlines.com/freedom...grid-overload/
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 06:03 PM   #185
notanlines

Any truth to the rumor that all the lithium for these new batteries will be coming from.....(drum roll) .....Lithuania?
Yes, Dad joke compliments of my dear brother.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 09:04 PM   #186
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Tesla asking Texas customers to not charge due to the overloaded electrical grid:

Well while I see a use for EVs, this is where the cart is ahead of the horse! We need more generating capacity, and a more robust electrical grid or distribution.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 03:14 AM   #187
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Well while I see a use for EVs, this is where the cart is ahead of the horse! We need more generating capacity, and a more robust electrical grid or distribution.
they are dismantling a coal power plant near my house…the developer said in a meeting that they plan to add a battery storage facility on some of the property…(the rest will be a high end home waterfront property)….. the facility is not capture sun or wind power ….but to store energy from the grid when it’s priced cheaper …the storage unit consists of some ac to dc transformer and a hvac system and fire suppression all housed in a sea container style unit….they use multiple units in a storage facility….they are apparently highly flammable and can have thermal runaway which makes them unpredictable and dangerous imo…..some of these storage facilities are directly connected to wind or solar farms…others just to the grid

we will be using batteries to charge ev batteries

i’m afraid the electric grid will be like a house of cards …built on dreams and wishful thinking…hope i’m wrong

https://e360.yale.edu/features/in-bo...is-on-the-rise
Old 07-19-2022, 03:33 AM   #188
jasin1

also to add to my post…my son just returned from europe for work..he spent time in London,Ireland and Scotland..he said i wouldn’t like it in the summer over there because they mostly do not use air conditioning in homes…i can see it coming to a choice between charging cars or having air conditioning for us …again i hope i’m wrong
Old 07-19-2022, 05:55 AM   #189
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
also to add to my post…my son just returned from europe for work..he spent time in London,Ireland and Scotland..he said i wouldn’t like it in the summer over there because they mostly do not use air conditioning in homes…i can see it coming to a choice between charging cars or having air conditioning for us …again i hope i’m wrong
Well we have a daughter that lives in Ireland, really no need for AC about 360 days a year. Seems the European main land is having a bit of a heat wave currently with temps in the 100’s.
Old 07-19-2022, 06:05 AM   #190
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Well we have a daughter that lives in Ireland, really no need for AC about 360 days a year. Seems the European main land is having a bit of a heat wave currently with temps in the 100’s.
Yep. No need for A/C (until there's a need)...

Same with the electric grid: It's doing a great job of providing all the electrical power we need....... UNTIL IT CAN'T .....

Simple math question: (You know, the word questions that "trick" every 3rd grader).....

You have a bucket that can hold 10 gallons of water. Mary takes out 6 gallons and Johnny takes out 8 gallons. How much water is left in the bucket?

It's the same with the electric grid... Only those "pie in the sky EV proponents" aren't reading the "simple math question" (or they are still in the second grade).....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 07-19-2022, 06:32 AM   #191
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
they are dismantling a coal power plant near my house…the developer said in a meeting that they plan to add a battery storage facility on some of the property…(the rest will be a high end home waterfront property)….. the facility is not capture sun or wind power ….but to store energy from the grid when it’s priced cheaper …the storage unit consists of some ac to dc transformer and a hvac system and fire suppression all housed in a sea container style unit….they use multiple units in a storage facility….they are apparently highly flammable and can have thermal runaway which makes them unpredictable and dangerous imo…..some of these storage facilities are directly connected to wind or solar farms…others just to the grid

we will be using batteries to charge ev batteries

i’m afraid the electric grid will be like a house of cards …built on dreams and wishful thinking…hope i’m wrong

https://e360.yale.edu/features/in-bo...is-on-the-rise
And yet BG&E (the utility company) has begged people for the last 30+ yrs to sign up to their "energy savings program" where they place a radio controlled relay on your central air conditioner so they can shut off your compressor during high demand times. I call that a selective black out. So it makes total sense to limit their generating capacity.

I remember learning how to fly at Martin State Airport many decades ago and looking at the plant nearby. Wearing Ray Ban Ambermatic glasses I could see the discharge from the stacks that were not visible with the naked eye. Over the years those emissions were greatly reduced but I guess it must no longer be economical.

I haven't seen the development plans but I bet if prospective buyers knew what was buried on Carroll Isl. years ago they would have a fit. For those reading along that was a US Army dump site for some pretty nasty nerve gas many decades ago.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 06:55 AM   #192
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Yep. No need for A/C (until there's a need)...

Same with the electric grid: It's doing a great job of providing all the electrical power we need....... UNTIL IT CAN'T .....

Simple math question: (You know, the word questions that "trick" every 3rd grader).....

You have a bucket that can hold 10 gallons of water. Mary takes out 6 gallons and Johnny takes out 8 gallons. How much water is left in the bucket?

It's the same with the electric grid... Only those "pie in the sky EV proponents" aren't reading the "simple math question" (or they are still in the second grade).....
John, no argument from me on that point! The grid will ever be solid, we were without power in a park for nine days after an ice storm. As long as transmission lines run through the air or ground there will always be issues.
Old 07-19-2022, 07:07 AM   #193
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
John, no argument from me on that point! The grid will ever be solid, we were without power in a park for nine days after an ice storm. As long as transmission lines run through the air or ground there will always be issues.
The issues that concern me are more about the "increased demand as population centers grow"... To me, it's like having a house wired with 14 ga ROMEX and trying to add active outlets to put a 20 amp demand on the 14 ga wire.... You can "safely do it" by changing out the ROMEX to 12 ga, or you can "manage not to burn down the house" by selectively unplugging things at various times, based on need....

The grid, right now, in many places, just can't carry the load and they're "managing it with selective brown-outs" or in some places, with "Draconian methods" of simply turning off parts of the grid during high demand hours. They call it "being fair to everyone" as long as they rotate the shutoffs, so everyone is affected... That is, except for the people who have standby generators that "carry the load" for the "rich and famous" (or the politically connected)..... They just switch from using electricity to making electricity with natural gas...

Sort of like the satellite photos of the "Hollywood elite mansions" during the water crisis a few years back. EVERYTHING (and I mean everything) was brown for miles in any direction, except the "estates of the elites" which were lush green behind those tall, brick walls......

To me, I don't look forward to the "grid management" that our power company tells us will start later this year, but you can bet that WalMart, Target, and the mayor's house won't be included.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 07-19-2022, 07:42 AM   #194
jasin1

well as i type this they have a titanium fire at the power plant ..they have been dismantling it for the last year..gonna implode it soon..it’s the only thing industrial in a sea of marsh grass and waterfront homes for miles…they can’t put out the fire with water so every available fire dept and the county is there with sand trucks..they need foam to put it out apparently…helicopters flying over…not looking forward to one of these lithium battery farms catching fire
Old 07-19-2022, 08:30 AM   #195
flybouy
Site Team

IMHO there are basically 2 types of staunch EV proponents that think it's a realistic near term solution. The first group: those that stand to personally profit from it, either monetarily, politically or both.

The second group are the ignorant (uninformed or uneducated) in the reality of the situation. I don't think the average citizen has a clue what electricity is much less HOW it arrives to the end user. All that's known is at home they turn the light switch and the lights come on. They get cold or warm and they turn that thing on the wall to make it more comfortable. The current "climate alarmist" preaching this "climate religion" in a zealot manner in public schools and colleges just expands the fear and sense of urgency.

How many folks come to this forum regularly that have simple electrical issues and are at a total loss to begin understanding. The generation of folks that have experienced replacing a screw in glass fuse on a 4 circuit fuse box because the fridge kicked on when the toaster was plugged in is rapidly dying off. For generations folks have taken for granted that electricity woul "just be there". With the many advancements in energy reducing appliances, lights, etc. it gave the grid a little relief. Once Covid hit and holds of folks stayed home the demand has spiked. You no longer have the economy of scale of an office building or school. Now you have millions of homes that were unoccupied for approximately1/2 the time (lights off, tv off, doors closed, fridge closed, thermostate set to away mode) to having families home 24/7.

For years now our electric utility has sent us a monthly statement comparing our energy use with our neighbors. We we're always higher. But my DW has been disabled and home for 30 years. I retired "early" due to cervical spin issues. The vast majority of our neighbors were dual earners and kids in school. Over the last 10 years the neighbors have aged and most have retired. Now our energy usage is "about average or slightly below average". That means THIER consumption has increased. If you extrapolate that trend of a large segment of the population (end of the WWII baby boomer generation) reaching retirement and taking retirement early due to Covid) I can't anticipate anything but a higher demand.

Considering the likely increased electric demand and adding to that demand with widespread EV charging I just don't forsee a happy ending. Obviously these are just my opinions.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 09:17 AM   #196
hawghauler

Quote:
IMHO there are basically 2 types of staunch EV proponents that think it's a realistic near term solution. The first group: those that stand to personally profit from it, either monetarily, politically or both.

The second group are the ignorant (uninformed or uneducated) in the reality of the situation. I don't think the average citizen has a clue what electricity is much less HOW it arrives to the end user. All that's known is at home they turn the light switch and the lights come on. They get cold or warm and they turn that thing on the wall to make it more comfortable. The current "climate alarmist" preaching this "climate religion" in a zealot manner in public schools and colleges just expands the fear and sense of urgency.

How many folks come to this forum regularly that have simple electrical issues and are at a total loss to begin understanding. The generation of folks that have experienced replacing a screw in glass fuse on a 4 circuit fuse box because the fridge kicked on when the toaster was plugged in is rapidly dying off. For generations folks have taken for granted that electricity woul "just be there". With the many advancements in energy reducing appliances, lights, etc. it gave the grid a little relief. Once Covid hit and holds of folks stayed home the demand has spiked. You no longer have the economy of scale of an office building or school. Now you have millions of homes that were unoccupied for approximately1/2 the time (lights off, tv off, doors closed, fridge closed, thermostate set to away mode) to having families home 24/7.

For years now our electric utility has sent us a monthly statement comparing our energy use with our neighbors. We we're always higher. But my DW has been disabled and home for 30 years. I retired "early" due to cervical spin issues. The vast majority of our neighbors were dual earners and kids in school. Over the last 10 years the neighbors have aged and most have retired. Now our energy usage is "about average or slightly below average". That means THIER consumption has increased. If you extrapolate that trend of a large segment of the population (end of the WWII baby boomer generation) reaching retirement and taking retirement early due to Covid) I can't anticipate anything but a higher demand.

Considering the likely increased electric demand and adding to that demand with widespread EV charging I just don't forsee a happy ending. Obviously these are just my opinions.
Your opinion is based on logic and common sense I respect that I also agree they just don't understand . Go ask a random stranger what Ohms law is
hawghauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 09:36 AM   #197
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:

When we built our "dream home" in Louisiana, it was in a "gold medalion all electric community". NO GAS ALLOWED !!!!! (propane or natural gas)... We had a 250 amp breaker box in the master bedroom closet and when I built my workshop/extra garage beside the pool, we didn't have enough "capacity to tie the garage to the house, so I needed to install an auxillary 200 amp breaker box in the garage. Added up, that's 450 amps for one house. I well remember a 50 amp fuse box in Mom and Dad's house with 3 20 amp fuses. I remember a 100 amp breaker box in our first house, a 200 amp breaker box in our second house and this one has a 225 amp breaker box....

All to say that through the years, electrical dependence has doubled, tripled, quadrupled and the grid is "essentially the same as it was 20 years ago, and not much improved from 30 or 40 years ago, just more customers with increased usage connected to it.

Who could have predicted a problem with supply and demand ?????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 07-19-2022, 09:57 AM   #198
BigBobIa

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawghauler View Post
Your opinion is based on logic and common sense I respect that I also agree they just don't understand . Go ask a random stranger what Ohms law is

E=MC**2? That it?
Old 07-19-2022, 12:06 PM   #199
jasin1

found another interesting fact today..ev vehicles require (special) tires that can handle more torque and also heavier weights…they also go through tires a lot faster because of that…save gas but more piles of rubber all over the world
Old 07-19-2022, 12:37 PM   #200
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBobIa View Post
E=MC**2? That it?
Uh, no.
It's: voltage = amperage times resistance
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel