Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-01-2021, 04:17 PM   #21
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by twanger View Post
Yup I was specifically thinking of the Andersen hitch, which I've heard decent things about. Hard to beat Equalizer, but boy is it heavy.
No heavier than any comparable hitch. The Equalizer and all other hitches with similar features all weigh in the same ballpark. It's NOT a "crazy heavy hitch" because of its weight. They all run very close to 100 pounds... The Andersen is an "up and coming technology" but like the Corvair and the EcoBoost, some make it and some don't.... The Andersen may make it or it may become the "odd man out" that's more a novelty than a mainstay.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 10:48 AM   #22
Fourbtgait

Wdh

When I bought my Equalizer, I was told by them and I think it is also in writing to figure bar weight, add in the weight of the Equalizer hitch AND any weight in the bed of truck behind the axles towards the hitch.
Though my tongue weight is now typically 900, I bought 1,200 bars.
Fourbtgait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 07:39 AM   #23
Balvar24

FWIW,

I just finished a 3000 mile round trip with the same model trailer, 4-people, possibles, 1/3rd tank of fresh water, and an F150 crew cab truck. I have the Equalizer with 1,000 lb. bars. I set everything up per the manual. Everything pulled/stopped as it should, even at 70 mph. Did not even have to go to the truck scale.

I've also pulled about 100 miles down the highway on a shake-down trip with a full tank of water and couldn't tell much difference v/s 1/3rd. There is a slight difference with no fresh water.

Equalizer has a calculator on their website and 1000 lb bars were recommended after entering all the requested info.
Balvar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 08:19 AM   #24
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balvar24 View Post
FWIW,

I just finished a 3000 mile round trip with the same model trailer, 4-people, possibles, 1/3rd tank of fresh water, and an F150 crew cab truck. I have the Equalizer with 1,000 lb. bars. I set everything up per the manual. Everything pulled/stopped as it should, even at 70 mph. Did not even have to go to the truck scale.

I've also pulled about 100 miles down the highway on a shake-down trip with a full tank of water and couldn't tell much difference v/s 1/3rd. There is a slight difference with no fresh water.

Equalizer has a calculator on their website and 1000 lb bars were recommended after entering all the requested info.
I guess then you either got "lucky" or you are trusting your "luck" that it's all good.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 08:47 AM   #25
Balvar24

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I guess
Guess about what ever you like. It's a free country.

I'll follow the manufacturer's instructions. I trust a reputable manufacturer having years of experience in the field to have a reasonable working knowledge of the installation and use their respective product.

I make no recommendation as to what anyone else should do.

Free advice is worth what you pay for it.

Your mileage may vary.

Etc. Etc. Etc.

Have a lovely day.
Balvar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 09:44 AM   #26
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balvar24 View Post
Guess about what ever you like. It's a free country.

I'll follow the manufacturer's instructions. I trust a reputable manufacturer having years of experience in the field to have a reasonable working knowledge of the installation and use their respective product.

I make no recommendation as to what anyone else should do.

Free advice is worth what you pay for it.

Your mileage may vary.

Etc. Etc. Etc.

Have a lovely day.
No problem. I do know this much, you do not know what the actual weight of the trailer, the truck or the tongue weight is without weighing it. Those "reputable manufacturer having years of experience in the field to have a reasonable working knowledge of the installation and use their respective product" can only use the numbers you provide, real or not.

Most folks here try to help those with less experience. One of the most common issues seen regularly is with weight and what numbers to use. The "published weights" for a trailer are woefully inaccurate the moment it arrives at the dealership and the battery(s), and LP tanks get filled. The inaccuracy of the "empty weight" ios exacerbated after the new owner starts loading up the trailer. The weights can be absolutely defined by simply visiting a scale. Visiting a scale to find out what the weights actually are is the common advice given. I've never seen anyone with experience advice not needing to weight the rig. What anyone does with that advice is of course their prerogative.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 11:11 AM   #27
Yenki

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
At least the hitch head was the same and all I needed were stronger bars. But 1,000 lb. bars should be ample for you
That's good to know. Thank you
Yenki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 12:22 PM   #28
Yenki

Hello Everyone. I'm just checking-in with an update on my RV, mostly the WD hitch.

With a lot of persistence I had the dealership change the 600# for the 1k# bars. I could not be happier with my decision. My trailer has about 750# TW loaded and ready to go. The ride is very smooth and I don't think it's too stiff.

I am much more comfortable this way. If I need to put a bit more fresh water or add bike rack in the front I might push above 800# and wouldn't be comfortable with the 600# bars.

Thanks everyone!
Yenki is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
passport