Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 08-16-2021, 06:34 PM   #41
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Doing a little "detective dog work" there's not a lot of hints on which floorplan or how big the trailer might be, but the roofline shows the shower skylight on the curbside forward part of the trailer. There are three 2020 Wilderness floorplans with that configuration:

2500RL, 32' long 7400 GVW
2575RK, 31' long 7400 GVW
3350DS, 38' long 9600 GVW

https://www.heartlandrvsource.com/sp...4210?year=2020

Surely, the driver in that photo wouldn't be trying to tow a 38' trailer..... Or would he ????? How could any salesman/service manager even consider selling something like this ???
Well looked at the three and the best fit is the 2500RL. I don’t see a refrigerator vent on the roof, the 2500RL has the refrigerator in the slide, so that is a lot of length for a mid sized SUV!
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 06:55 PM   #42
Vinnie

Tell you what about y'all in the ranks of the weight police tho- whether I liked the lesson I learned or not, you saved my butt, most likely. So one day my sister (not historically the best with issues of judgement) starts asking me how I like the "camping thing." Never mind I lived in a camper for nearly 2 years, but hey, traveling when you want to is better than full-timing in one place any day. She starts quizzing me about bunkhouse trailers, lengths, backing, amenities and differences and such things, and mentions that they "bought a Tahoe just for this purpose." So, thanks to y'all, I'm immediately the guy in weight police mode, and before too long, she's looking at 25' ultra-lights, and had found some website with sliders for all considerations weight, which frequently "turns red" when you reach don't-do-that combinations. (wouldn't tell me what website, oddly)

But anyway, thanks to you, now hopefully I've saved her family's butt as well!

Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 07:09 AM   #43
Todd 423

Talking

They should have installed air bags, that increases tow capacity considerably. LOL
Old 08-26-2021, 07:19 AM   #44
Ccrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
If that's a Nissan Rogue laying on it's top I think we passed them in Oregon late last week..
Looks like a Porsche Cayenne to me. At worst it's little brother the VW Touareg.
Ccrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 10:06 AM   #45
InkedMarie

Quote:
If that's a Nissan Rogue laying on it's top I think we passed them in Oregon late last week.
We traveled from Seattle area back to Arizona this past week & saw countless inappropriate tow vehicles towing RVs they were never designed to tow. Thanks to Covid the highways are full of folks that have absolutely no business towing anything with the vehicles they're using.
I have a Rogue and I wouldn’t tow anything!

Marie

2021 Keystone Cougar Half Ton 32 rli
InkedMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 11:21 AM   #46
WDPatterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Doing a little "detective dog work" there's not a lot of hints on which floorplan or how big the trailer might be, but the roofline shows the shower skylight on the curbside forward part of the trailer. There are three 2020 Wilderness floorplans with that configuration:

2500RL, 32' long 7400 GVW
2575RK, 31' long 7400 GVW
3350DS, 38' long 9600 GVW

https://www.heartlandrvsource.com/sp...4210?year=2020

Surely, the driver in that photo wouldn't be trying to tow a 38' trailer..... Or would he ????? How could any salesman/service manager even consider selling something like this ???
They might have been told something else was going to tow it off the lot. Maybe, it was even delivered. But, I doubt they actually drove this vehicle to pick it up. That would form a liability that nobody would endure.
WDPatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 11:23 AM   #47
WDPatterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerThat99 View Post
I believe it is a Porsche Cayenne.
"If you're going to roll it, make sure it's expensive."
Old 08-26-2021, 11:30 AM   #48
WDPatterson

Quote:
I was about 12-13 I went fishing with my Grandad, his usual tow vehicle for his 14' outboard boat was in the shop getting tires & serviced so they loaned him an Econoline pickup, I guess you'd call it a pickup it had a bed, we unloaded the boat, fished, loaded the boat on the trailer, now for reference this was a long steep ramp, but that "pickup" thing would only make a humming noise, it would not move that boat up that ramp, wouldn't even spin a tire on the wet ramp, finally got someone to tie on to it & tow it & the boat up the ramp, what a huge POS. That was my 1st Ford experience (unfortunately not my last) & my grandad's one & only Ford experience, his usual tow vehicle at that time was a '62 Buick Wildcat, that would've jerked that Econoline thing to pieces & drove Buicks til the day he passed.
I thought an Econoline was a van??
Old 08-26-2021, 11:48 AM   #49
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDPatterson View Post
I thought an Econoline was a van??
I remember them well..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Econo.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	229.1 KB
ID:	35442  
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 11:52 AM   #50
George Cragg

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcee View Post
I've 'heard' that bigger tires would have increased his truck's GVWR....too bad he/she didn't know......totally preventable.
Truck!? Nope… that’s a good part of the problem
George Cragg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 11:59 AM   #51
rlh1957

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie View Post
Courtesy of my friends at the Solano station of the California Highway Patrol
Didn’t ya’ll see the truck manufacturer saying and showing on TV my pickup can tow a big commercial aircraft?

They wouldn’t tell me something that’s not true or endangers my safety would they!
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 12:10 PM   #52
rlh1957

Just had a neighbor bring his friend by to see our fifth wheel.
I asked him what TV he had? Said he didn’t yet but the car dealer showed him how much a F150 can tow and said he could tow a fifth wheel toy hauler!!!

So we had That conversation!

I told him You Tube has some great educated people that could educate him how it all works.
He didn’t know that a F150 depending on what package or add on’s changes the useable payload from truck to truck.

Both RV sales people and truck sales showed book & brochure of towing and weight figures.

I told him to come by to look and talk anytime, but I didn’t feel my passed along information is the best way to learn the math snd understand what is allowed or recommended and what long term consequences can be to your transmission, engine, chassis and safety.

2020 Cougar Half Ton 29RKS Fifth Wheel
2019 F350 4WD Lariat SRW 6.7 Diesel SD
Anderson Ultimate 5th Hitch - JT Strongarm TST509 TPMS- 2200W(8)Solar Panels - 800AH BattleBorn Batteries. 3000W Victron MultiPlus II Inv. SoftStartRV on 2 AC’s - Predator 3500 generator Airlift 5000 bags
Old 08-26-2021, 12:13 PM   #53
buzzcop63

Cougar Half Ton Towable 5th wheels, see lots of these trailers towed by people who did not do their home work, the believed the trailer salesman or the truck dealer. Sure the truck can pull the weight and off they go thinking they are safe!
Old 08-26-2021, 12:38 PM   #54
rlh1957

That Half-Ton Towable sales rant from manufacturer is BS.
I wouldn’t recommend anyone to do it.

Towing weight of truck means almost nothing against payload. Put yourself, one other, full fuel, the weight of whatever 5th Wheel hitch you are using and don’t tell me you don’t carry anything else in your truck. Oh remember you got the upgrade package, that lowered your available payload capacity. Oh now you want to tow that fifth wheel that says it has a tow weight under your truck tow weight… but now with that full truck you don’t have enough payload left to drop 1500 lb+ on as pin weight.
Ofcourse you can overload any truck.

We tow with an F350 SRW. The math didn’t work for us on a half ton truck.
For some do it and say their numbers work. Until I saw CAT scale sheet and rig and truck stickers I’m not a believer.

2020 Cougar Half Ton 29RKS Fifth Wheel
2019 F350 4WD Lariat SRW 6.7 Diesel SD
Anderson Ultimate 5th Hitch - JT Strongarm TST509 TPMS- 2200W(8)Solar Panels - 800AH BattleBorn Batteries. 3000W Victron MultiPlus II Inv. SoftStartRV on 2 AC’s - Predator 3500 generator Airlift 5000 bags
Old 08-26-2021, 01:21 PM   #55
RWRiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDPatterson View Post
But, I doubt they actually drove this vehicle to pick it up. That would form a liability that nobody would endure.
Liability for who ?? The RV Dealer ? I have not seen or heard of any RV dealer held responsible for selling an RV the customer had no business pulling.
RWRiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 01:32 PM   #56
RWRiley

This a pic of Cayenne wheels. Looks pretty close.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	95804460066lr.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	181.8 KB
ID:	35443  
RWRiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 02:02 PM   #57
JDDilly

When we got our last camper, I had to sign a form that I had a suitable TV and released the dealer for any liability. I did have a good TV, so didn't give it a thought.

Jim and Carole
Roseville, MN
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Diesel, Long Box, Air Lift Bags - 2023 Fuzion 421
JDDilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 04:38 PM   #58
JYR

Hi guys, I know this is a touchy subject. But, I don’t see the “weight police “ as being rude, yes sometimes. But I feel their comments are just trying to save a life or lives of your family or a innocent traveler on the road. Why their strong remarks I believe as they were once like you. Unfamiliar with RV’s and was directed or guided with the wrong information what weights and numbers mean to vehicles and RV. And yes I was once one that said I don’t like someone telling me that $$$$ expensive truck I just bought wasn’t enough for that $$$$ RV I just bought too. Because the truck dealer I have been dealing with all my life couldn’t be wrong, and that nice salesperson that sold me this RV making memories for us looked and talked the talk couldn’t be wrong. Then we hook up and fear the road. Bec of sway and white knuckled trip. So we search the web, talk to various people, change the hitch, buy air bags, change tires etc. you get the idea. Then finally lose $$$$ when we finally explain to the wife that I made a mistake and need to take a big hit in trading that Truck for a bigger one with more upside down and higher payments and finally explain to our friends family and neighbors that always wanted a bigg truck and found a real good deal we couldn’t pass up. Been there done that. So I do have respect for Da weight police. Because like me they are only looking out for you because they were once one of you. Just my 2 cents. Thanks
JYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 05:00 PM   #59
Todd727

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcee View Post
I've 'heard' that bigger tires would have increased his truck's GVWR....too bad he/she didn't know......totally preventable.
Don't forget Airbags....
Old 08-26-2021, 05:34 PM   #60
Ken / Claudia

Post #55, the last several RVs I have purchased were from dealers and in the purchase has had small little words something like this " the purchaser is required to make sure the TV is capable/safe/legal to pull/carry the RV." I tossed my copies so not sure of wording. The whole thing is to attempt to leave them without any future liability.
Edit: On front cover of Cougar 1/2 ton Series booklet. Tow vehicle disclaimer Caution: Owners of Keystone RVs are solely responsible for the section and proper use of tow vehicles.
Further Keystone warranty does not cover damage to RV or TV as a result of the section, operation, use or misuse of TV. 2012
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote