Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-17-2021, 09:08 AM   #41
Fossey2

Yes..here are ALL the options I chose:

Configuration
* DRW
* Wheel base 176" (I believe there were other shorter options as well.)
*8 ft. box (only option)
Powertrain
*6.2L 2-valve SOHC Flex Fuel V8
*TorqShift® 10-speed Automatic Transmission
*4x4
*3.73 Limited Slip Axle Ratio (they also had 3.55 Limited/non slip Slip Axle Ratio and 4.10/4.30 Limited Slip Axle Ratio I have no idea what to choose here
Packages
*11,400 (SRW)/13,000 (DRW Only) GVWR Package
*FX4 Off-Road Package that includes:
• Hill Descent Control™
• Off-Road Specifically tuned front/rear shock absorbers
• Transfer case and fuel tank skid plates
• Unique "FX4 Off-Road" box decal
*Heavy Service Front Suspension Package that includes:
• Heavy-service front springs --1-up upgrade above the spring that has been computer-selected based on other selected options.
*Power Equipment Group which includes:
• Accessory delay and Manual-folding, manually telescoping, power glass trailer tow mirrors with heated glass, heated convex spotter mirror
• Advanced Security Pack (includes SecuriLock® Passive Anti-Theft System (PATS) and Inclination/Intrusion Sensors)
• Power locks
• Power Tailgate Lock
• Power 1st-row (front-seat) windows with one-touch up/down
• Power 2nd-row (rear-seat) windows (SuperCab and Crew Cab)
• Power-folding, PowerScope® Telescoping, Power Glass Trailer Tow Mirrors with Heat, Turn Signal, High-Intensity LED Security Approach Lamps, Utility Lighting System (LED Side-mirror Spotlights) (LARIAT only)
• Manual-folding, manually telescoping, power glass trailer tow mirrors with heated glass and heated convex spotter mirror, integrated clearance lamps/turn signals (XL & XLT)
• Remote keyless-entry
*Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera System with Pro Trailer Backup Assist™includes:
• Pro Trailer Backup Assist
• Lane Keeping Alert
• Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera System
— Rear View Camera
— 360 Degree Camera System
— Trailer Reverse Guidance
— LED Center High-Mounted Stop Lamp (CHMSL)
— Rear CHMSL Camera
Exterior
*5th-Wheel/Gooseneck Hitch Prep Package (We use an Anderson hitch on our 5er)
*Bedliner – Tough Bed® Spray-in
*BLIS® (Blind Spot Information System) with Cross-traffic Alert and Trailer Tow
*Boxlink
*Dual Battery
*LED Box Lighting
*Remote Start System with Key
*Splash Guards/Mud Flaps – Front
*Tailgate Step
*LT245/75Rx17E BSW A/T Tires included but also available is LT245/75Rx17E BSW A/S Tires not sure which is better for us
*Platform Running Boards
Interior
*Floor Covering – Color-Coordinated Full Carpet with Floor Mats
*Vinyl 6 seats

Not that we are actually purchasing this right now..but is there any options you guys are like..."you can live without this AND it will lower your total payload or You NEED to add this.

I want to max the payload as much with a Family of 6!

Appreciate your time and insights!
Fossey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 11:20 AM   #42
jfk69

If you’re going with a gasser, get the 4.3 limited slip rear end. You will NOT be happy with the 3.73. Also, I’d go for the 7.3 gas over the 6.2. Honestly though, I’d take the diesel over either, in an F350 dually.
jfk69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 11:58 AM   #43
rhagfo

Well I am a bit concerned about the GVWR, seems as you selected an option to reduce the GVWR. Most DRW 350’s have a 14,000# GVWR.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 01:03 PM   #44
JRTJH
Site Team

Do some "in depth research" on the • Pro Trailer Backup Assist

I've been told by a large group of owners that it works "as advertised" with a bumper hitch trailer, but "fails miserably" with a fifth wheel/gooseneck trailer.

Seems (as I understand it) that the decals are "easy for the system to follow" on a conventional trailer but that placement of the decals is "significantly more difficult to correctly apply" when placing them on a fifth wheel/gooseneck. That leads to system shutdown and inability to use the "• Pro Trailer Backup Assist" features.

If it works, great, but it's an "expensive paperweight" if you're planning to use it with a fifth wheel and the "user base says it doesn't work"....

Do your homework on that one. Nice if it works, expensive and frustrating if it's more a problem than a help.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 01:25 PM   #45
markcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Do some "in depth research" on the • Pro Trailer Backup Assist

I've been told by a large group of owners that it works "as advertised" with a bumper hitch trailer, but "fails miserably" with a fifth wheel/gooseneck trailer.

Seems (as I understand it) that the decals are "easy for the system to follow" on a conventional trailer but that placement of the decals is "significantly more difficult to correctly apply" when placing them on a fifth wheel/gooseneck. That leads to system shutdown and inability to use the "• Pro Trailer Backup Assist" features.

If it works, great, but it's an "expensive paperweight" if you're planning to use it with a fifth wheel and the "user base says it doesn't work"....

Do your homework on that one. Nice if it works, expensive and frustrating if it's more a problem than a help.....

Having had PTBU on my F150, I can say it s also problematic with a bumper pull.

At least as far as the 2019 model year, I do not believe it was even recommended for use at all with a 5th wheel or gooseneck.

With many bumper pulls, you often must affix the target decal closer than the Ford manual suggests, as the short length of the trailer A frame and/or the location of the propane tanks, and depending on hitch, the L brackets, prevents proper placement. This slightly incorrect placement comes into play when making semi sharp turns as the camera will lose connection with the target decal. As far as I recall, it will not automatically re-acquire. You have to straighten out and start the process over.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 01:56 PM   #46
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Well I am a bit concerned about the GVWR, seems as you selected an option to reduce the GVWR. Most DRW 350’s have a 14,000# GVWR.
I think your right. I’d stay away from that…it’s the gvw derate for registration purposes
Old 07-17-2021, 01:59 PM   #47
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfk69 View Post
If you’re going with a gasser, get the 4.3 limited slip rear end. You will NOT be happy with the 3.73. Also, I’d go for the 7.3 gas over the 6.2. Honestly though, I’d take the diesel over either, in an F350 dually.
I agree..I’d get the diesel first choice ..7.3 second choice

Maybe get rid of the fancy camera and trailer parking assist and put that money towards the 7.3… I don’t think most people use the trailer assist other then the novelty of it when you first get it…I have the surround cameras on my truck but find I don’t even use it other then the rear camera when backing up without trailer
Old 07-17-2021, 04:47 PM   #48
Fossey2

The only thing I worry about is going with either the 7.3 gas or diesel over the 6.2. is we take a significant hit to payload according to the brochure (I know the brochures aren't accurate so I'm assuming it could be an even bigger hit to the payload).
Old 07-17-2021, 04:54 PM   #49
notanlines

Using the base curb weights in the chart it appears that the the 7.3l is just a tad over 100lbs. heavier than the 6.2l.
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 04:54 PM   #50
Fossey2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Interesting! I assumed since it was offered it was an upgrade from the original..I cant find anywhere that states what it is BEFORE I selected this option! And removing it or adding it doesn't seem to change the price at all.
Old 07-17-2021, 05:08 PM   #51
Fossey2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
The online build software... you get a price that must go to a local dealer to order? If they order, will that price you come up with today be valid when the truck arrives (could be some time based on the chip shortage)???
Good question! I'm not sure so when I contact the dealer and find out I can let you all know!
Old 07-17-2021, 05:11 PM   #52
Fossey2

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Using the base curb weights in the chart it appears that the the 7.3l is just a tad over 100lbs. heavier than the 6.2l.
What chart are you looking at can I ask? I can't find the curb weight listed on this one: https://www.fleet.ford.com/content/d...owingGuide.pdf
Old 07-17-2021, 06:18 PM   #53
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fossey2 View Post
Good question! I'm not sure so when I contact the dealer and find out I can let you all know!

If you are anticipating ordering a truck or particularly thinking of trading then buying.....

I thought I would buy a new truck but the only way to get one was order it. Dealership position in these crazy times; we'll have to let you know what it's worth when it gets here..... So be careful and get everything in indelible ink.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 07:37 PM   #54
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
What chart are you looking at can I ask? I can't find the curb weight listed on this one: https://www.fleet.ford.com/content/d...owingGuide.pdf
Go to the Ford website: https://www.ford.com/trucks/super-duty/models/f350-xlt/ and scroll down to the "SPECIFICATIONS" section, then scroll down about 3 pages and you'll see a section titled "CURB WEIGHTS".

Keep in mind that these weights are for a "base model XL" with NO options....

If you look at the "base curb weight" for a F350 DRW 4x4 Crew Cab 6.2L and the weight for the same truck with a 7.3L, the 6.2 weighs 7392 and the 7.3l weighs 7388. Yes, that's 4 pounds LESS than the smaller engine. I'm not sure how Ford does that "magic", but I'd guess there's some reduction is emissions equipment, header weight, or some other parts outside the actual engine that are lighter....

Bottom line, it looks like either the 6.2 or the 7.3 are a "wash" when it comes to payload liabilities....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 01:04 PM   #55
NMRandy

Quote:
Can you answer a question for me? I contacted a dealer who has a F350 for sale and asked him to send me images of both stickers...but the "yellow" one looks different than mine (I think because it's a newer year) and I can't understand what the max payload is.
This is a vehicle built for the Canadian market, and not meant for the US market. Be aware the warranties are different.
NMRandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 08:15 AM   #56
dalamarjj78

We recently ordered a 2022 F350 XLT SRW with the 7.3L engine and 4.30 rear axle. We went this route because the price of used trucks is so high right now this allowed us to get a new truck for the price of used ones. We also got to pick and choose our options so we get exactly what we want for much less than local inventory since we won't be paying for all the extra packages everyone includes that we don't want.

We signed an order sheet (and placed a refundable deposit) so we know exactly what the truck will cost once it arrives.

Be sure to talk to your dealer as you're picking options. Because of the chip shortage some of the lower trim trucks (like our XLT) aren't being scheduled until much later with certain options included (like 360 cameras, adaptive steering, etc.)

2022 F350 XLT CCSB SRW 7.3L 4.30 Gears
2021 Keystone Bullet Ultra Lite 273BHS

dalamarjj78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 12:37 PM   #57
lcarver02

Quote:
Yes..here are ALL the options I chose:

Configuration
* DRW
* Wheel base 176" (I believe there were other shorter options as well.)
*8 ft. box (only option)
Powertrain
*6.2L 2-valve SOHC Flex Fuel V8
*TorqShift® 10-speed Automatic Transmission
*4x4
*3.73 Limited Slip Axle Ratio (they also had 3.55 Limited/non slip Slip Axle Ratio and 4.10/4.30 Limited Slip Axle Ratio I have no idea what to choose here
Packages
*11,400 (SRW)/13,000 (DRW Only) GVWR Package
*FX4 Off-Road Package that includes:
• Hill Descent Control™
• Off-Road Specifically tuned front/rear shock absorbers
• Transfer case and fuel tank skid plates
• Unique "FX4 Off-Road" box decal
*Heavy Service Front Suspension Package that includes:
• Heavy-service front springs --1-up upgrade above the spring that has been computer-selected based on other selected options.
*Power Equipment Group which includes:
• Accessory delay and Manual-folding, manually telescoping, power glass trailer tow mirrors with heated glass, heated convex spotter mirror
• Advanced Security Pack (includes SecuriLock® Passive Anti-Theft System (PATS) and Inclination/Intrusion Sensors)
• Power locks
• Power Tailgate Lock
• Power 1st-row (front-seat) windows with one-touch up/down
• Power 2nd-row (rear-seat) windows (SuperCab and Crew Cab)
• Power-folding, PowerScope® Telescoping, Power Glass Trailer Tow Mirrors with Heat, Turn Signal, High-Intensity LED Security Approach Lamps, Utility Lighting System (LED Side-mirror Spotlights) (LARIAT only)
• Manual-folding, manually telescoping, power glass trailer tow mirrors with heated glass and heated convex spotter mirror, integrated clearance lamps/turn signals (XL & XLT)
• Remote keyless-entry
*Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera System with Pro Trailer Backup Assist™includes:
• Pro Trailer Backup Assist
• Lane Keeping Alert
• Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera System
— Rear View Camera
— 360 Degree Camera System
— Trailer Reverse Guidance
— LED Center High-Mounted Stop Lamp (CHMSL)
— Rear CHMSL Camera
Exterior
*5th-Wheel/Gooseneck Hitch Prep Package (We use an Anderson hitch on our 5er)
*Bedliner – Tough Bed® Spray-in
*BLIS® (Blind Spot Information System) with Cross-traffic Alert and Trailer Tow
*Boxlink
*Dual Battery
*LED Box Lighting
*Remote Start System with Key
*Splash Guards/Mud Flaps – Front
*Tailgate Step
*LT245/75Rx17E BSW A/T Tires included but also available is LT245/75Rx17E BSW A/S Tires not sure which is better for us
*Platform Running Boards
Interior
*Floor Covering – Color-Coordinated Full Carpet with Floor Mats
*Vinyl 6 seats

Not that we are actually purchasing this right now..but is there any options you guys are like..."you can live without this AND it will lower your total payload or You NEED to add this.

I want to max the payload as much with a Family of 6!

Appreciate your time and insights!
Yes, 2021 F-350 DRW with Heavy Duty Payload and all those things listed above. You will need a pot-load of money and it will come with some very good features and rubber. Best be sure your trailer has Excellent Quality Tires, not the China bombs. This will meet your needs. May need to go to a 2WD, but I believe you will be close on Payload with 4WD.
lcarver02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 02:45 PM   #58
Badbart56

Payload? PSHWW!!

https://www.facebook.com/reel/122705...?s=single_unit

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 02:52 PM   #59
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbart56 View Post
From your link: "This content isn't available right now
When this happens, it's usually because the owner only shared it with a small group of people, changed who can see it or it's been deleted."

We may never know what the OP bought since the OP has not been on the site since July 2021.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 03:12 PM   #60
Badbart56

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing, towing capacity