Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-22-2011, 08:41 AM   #1
ThePressureIsOn

2008 Keystone FL M 281 RL 31

I have a couple questions if someone would be kind enough to answer them or point me in the right direction for answers. As stated in the New Members thread my wife and I looked at the above TT and she really wants this trailer! I've searched, here and on the web for a weight and can't find it. My biggest concern is it too heavy to pull with my TV? I have a 2008 Silverado 5.3L with a tow package that is rated for 6800 lbs. My current TT weighs just under 3000 lbs and is a dream to pull without a WDH. I'm assuming that I would need one for this trailer. Thank you for you time. Bob
ThePressureIsOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:18 AM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

I took a brief look for your unit on Keystone's website and cannot find it. Is it a Bullet? Passport? Cougar?
Regarding your TV and the unit you are thinking about to purchase..... I would suggest you go to the "Odd's n Ends" section of the forum, find the "Moderators Need Your Input" thread, click on it and read all of posts.
These posts offer some very good advice about tow vehicles and what you should be considering.
There are several key weight and ratings that you need to find out to help you make your decision. YOu might want to visit the Trailer Life website and the GMC/Chev truck website and check out what their specs are. Also, check the sticker on your driver's door and the truck manual for weight and towing limitations.
You need to know the GVWR of your prospective TT as a start. If you can give us the model of this TT (Bullet, etc) it would help.
Personally, I would not listen to any salesman who tells you that your truck can tow this or that. Do your homework and find out for yourself.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:36 AM   #3
KanTC

Welcome to the forum Bob (& Mrs Bob),

The 'Freedom' Series are manufactured by various companies and sold only by FreedomRoads RV dealer network... aka Camping World.
That said, the Freedom Lite info won't be available on the Keystone website. Freedom Lites (by Keystone) were made from 2006-2009...
the current 'Freedom' lines are products from another manufacturer. Note: although I don't know if it's a comparable weight, the same floorplan
is still available simply sold under a different 'Freedom' name... it may also be available in a different/current Keystone model.

Contact Camping World, they should be able to tell you how/where to locate the brochure & specs for the 2008 Freedom Lite 281RL.

Hope this helps,
Terri, the Chevy co-pilot & DH Kevin
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 12:10 PM   #4
ThePressureIsOn

Thank you again Festus2 and thank you Kan TC. I downloaded the brochure for the Keystone Passport from your forum. I then called Keystone and they confirmed that it was the same trailer as the Passport 285 RL. Wow, so much knowledge here! The trailer is being sold because of a divorce and my wife and I checked it out, at length, twice in two days. Not a scratch inside or out and clean as new. They were asking $17,500 and dropped it to $15,250. My credit union said that it was a good price. I did go to Trailer Life and check the tow rating for my TV and confirmed it with the sticker on the door. By the brochure I downloaded from this forum the shipping weight is 4820, so I should be good to go. That would give me around 2,000 pounds of leeway. Also, the only pressure I'm getting is from my DW. If she would have had her way, we would have left our camper there and taken this one home. You are the best!
ThePressureIsOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 02:09 PM   #5
KanTC

You're welcome! We occasionally camp with a couple who have a Passport... also be aware that there
was a recall for some models concerning the (outside stove) LP hose.
This may have already been resolved/replaced by the original owners.

http://www.keystonerv.com/media2/pdf...side_Range.pdf

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot & DH Kevin
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote