Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 12-04-2017, 06:25 PM   #21
mikz86ta

Bought my 2016 in 2017 used. Took delivery with a missing LED indicator panel. They thought it was bad and ordered a new one. Was 2 months in backorder and I could not wait on that. Took delivery.
Installed the LED board myself. Very simple and I have an extensive electronic background.
The fresh tank level Workd fine as does the battery.
The black and grays were not. The grays sometimes go full empty but one of the two usually hangs up on 1/4. The other 98% of the time goes full empty. The blacks, well the rear with the washer water draining to it will typically got full empty or down to 1/4. The front black I got once to go down to 3/4 but 98% time it reads full.

I myself used drop-ins from day 1. I also have gotten it pretty full and drained it for over an hour. But never helped.
A few weeks ago I did the PowerFlush. Didn't do anything to help. But I then started the Geo Method with some Borax to soften the water and Detergent adding. 1 drain since and not yet helped. I am doing the Geo now, added 2 drop-ins (since I have a whole bag at hand) and then will drain and PowerFlush again in a few days.
Going to try and be presistent. May try adding bleach or whatever the third additive is they do
mikz86ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 07:09 AM   #22
djac13

I have a 2020 cougar and my fresh water and grey tanks show empty even though they have water in both. Has anyone else had this issue?
djac13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 07:46 AM   #23
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by djac13 View Post
I have a 2020 cougar and my fresh water and grey tanks show empty even though they have water in both. Has anyone else had this issue?
Yes! I'd say that anyone that owns or has owned a RV of any type has had, does have and will have the very same issues. Those sensors are next to totally useless for giving any accurate tank levels.
Learn your rv sounds when the tanks are nearing full & forget about the sensors. The shower will back up when it's full, usually about the time you're all lathered up & the toilet has a very distinctive burp/gurgle when it's nearing full, both are more accurate than the sensors are or ever will be.
Yes you can drain/flush, waste countless bags of ice, spend money on potions & all will work..........til you've filled the tank the next couple times, then it starts over again.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 09:10 AM   #24
JRTJH
Site Team

Holding tank status indicators typically come with either red or green "led status indicator lights"...

That's a "very good clue" to their true purpose: They, like Christmas decorations, are intended to be used for a couple of weeks annually, need to be "fussed with for hours and hours to get all the lights burning on all the strings of "coiled up mess" and then, shortly after they are all "up and working", it's time to take them down and store them for another year..... Then, the next time you try to use them, the process of "fussing for hours" starts all over again....

Like Christmas lights, if it's worth the hassle to keep them working, the hours of "work" far outweigh the hours of "enjoyment".....

Mine are a "forgotten panel on the wall in the hallway. That panel's only purpose: To house the fresh water pump switch and the water heater gas switch. I can't remember the last time I even looked at the upper half of that panel (where those Christmas lights are located).....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 09:21 AM   #25
CampNBrew2

I love the Christmas light analogy John! True words!
2015 Honda CRF250L (Wifes)
Camping, home brewing, and dirt bikes!
CampNBrew2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 03:12 AM   #26
notanlines

Obviously we are the exception rather than the rule. We dump when the black tank says 90%, run the black tank rinse every three dumps, use no chemicals, and only use the correct TP. We dump the grey when it reads about 75%, and use the grey tank rinse every three dumps. No chemicals. We put NO solids of any sort through the grey tank. After cooking the pots are scraped relatively clean, no coffee grounds, no cooking grease.
On the other hand, our Salem was 6 years old when we purchased it and the lights have always read zero. No big deal. Danny and others have already said how it's done.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 04:25 AM   #27
RickV

We are on our third 5er in about 10 years and after the first one I pretty much adopted what Danny posted. I tried all the "Internet" fixes with the first one and finally realized I was pretty much trying to Ice Skate Uphill. Now we pretty much use the number of uses for the two grey tanks and know but the sounds when "Blackie" need to be dumped. Trying to get them to work properly is one less thing to waste time messing with.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 05:44 PM   #28
Moosemedic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildmandan01 View Post
My tanks have been showing anywhere from empty to 1/4 full after emptying. Last weekend, I emptied them and suddenly both grey tanks and the black tank are showing full after emptying! I could buy into the old belief that something may be stuck across the sensors of one of the tanks, but to have all 3 tanks suddenly show full after emptying is a stretch!!
I believe somewhere I lost a ground that all 3 sensors are tied to.
It’s likely a bad circuit board or a short. No ground breaks the circuit indicating empty as chuckster stated
Moosemedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 08:27 AM   #29
dutchmensport

Glad you found the "ground" and looks like you got a fix. However, the sensors may still need a good cleaning. The absolute easiest way to clean the sensors (unless they are actually broken), is to dump all your tanks (black and grey, flush then if you can), get them as clean as you reasonably can. Then add 5-10 gallons of water, some Dawn dishwashing liquid (generously) and take the camper for a nice drive. The sloshing of the water in the tanks will pulverize against the sensors and scrub them clean. They will work again .... unless they are broken.

Do this every time you travel and your sensors will always work. (unless they are actually broken).
Old 09-15-2021, 03:49 PM   #30
cw1001!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Since I walk every unit that I PDI, I check that the tanks are drained since our detail department seems to miss that step a lot
What does PDI mean?

2013 Keystone Cougar 22' Travel Trailer
2019 F150 EcoBoost
4 Point Equalizer
cw1001! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 04:31 PM   #31
Canonman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw1001! View Post
What does PDI mean?
Pre-Delivery-Inspection Some dealers are better at this than others.
Basically the dealer is supposed to demonstrate that all the operational items in the new RV are in proper working order and show the buyer each items functional use. For example, turn on the furnace and demonstrate that it works as well as how the user operates the furnace. Same for the A/C, power systems, slides, etc..
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 04:48 PM   #32
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
Glad you found the "ground" and looks like you got a fix. However, the sensors may still need a good cleaning. The absolute easiest way to clean the sensors (unless they are actually broken), is to dump all your tanks (black and grey, flush then if you can), get them as clean as you reasonably can. Then add 5-10 gallons of water, some Dawn dishwashing liquid (generously) and take the camper for a nice drive. The sloshing of the water in the tanks will pulverize against the sensors and scrub them clean. They will work again .... unless they are broken.

Do this every time you travel and your sensors will always work. (unless they are actually broken).
I guess every rv I've owned the sensors must have been broke on ALL of them, never had one, no not one, that those sensors were worth the minimal voltage it took to light the little red lights after the 1st couple tank fulls.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote