Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 02-08-2017, 02:57 PM   #1
Pull Toy

Backing a trailer!

Practice... practice... practice! LOL!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Byn...xFYy1nYkk/view

Good luck,

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 04:44 PM   #2
xrated

My wife had horses when she was a kid growing up, so she still loves horses....so naturally, I had her watch that video. That was hilarious...thanks for posting.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 04:56 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull Toy View Post
Practice... practice... practice! LOL!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Byn...xFYy1nYkk/view

Good luck,
Man! I don't care who you are that's funny!....Actually hilarious!! Thanks!!
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 05:20 PM   #4
Cbrez

If you swap out the laughing horses for people, looks just like my last parking job. Too funny

Steve & Diane
2015 Montana 3402RL
2017 F350 Super Duty Lariat 6.7 Powerstroke, Super Cab, Long Box, 4WD DRW
18K PullRite Super 5th ISR
Cbrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 05:34 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

That's what I was thinking. The first time I tried to back a 35+ foot trailer into a tight spot I figure someone would start popping popcorn!! Thankfully those days are gone!!
Old 02-08-2017, 05:34 PM   #6
66joej

Quote:
Originally Posted by pull toy View Post
practice... Practice... Practice! Lol!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0byn...xfyy1nykk/view

good luck,
ffuuunnnyy!

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 05:54 PM   #7
Ken / Claudia

That was great. Thanks
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 07:19 PM   #8
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbrez View Post
If you swap out the laughing horses for people, looks just like my last parking job. Too funny
Sooo true, and seems to be a really normal thing to do, ie when we pull up to a campsite others run over to that area with their chairs and adult drinks. When you complete your setup, grab your chair and join the group for the next person. Really enjoyed the clip
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 08:16 PM   #9
Murphsmom

We watched a guy with a VW trying to maneuver his travel trailer into a campsite at the beach last summer. He must have been from somewhere that doesn't have any trees, as it took over an hour for him to back that trailer into the space. Around and around the loop he went, trying to figure out the proper angle.

And yes...we were all watching!
Murphsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 09:22 PM   #10
chuckster57
Site Team

I loved it!!!

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 07:31 AM   #11
hankaye

Howdy All;

Unfortunately,, the number of playbacks has reached a maximum and is
no longer viewable ...

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 08:17 AM   #12
cardinal96ss

Last year while sitting out enjoying the evening a TT pulled in and went to backing into a spot a few spots away. Shortly the wife came over, explained that this was their first day of their first trip and the unbelievably her husband had never backed a trailer before, so would I "watch and look out for him". Placed me in a position I didn't want to be in. Within a few minutes I had to walk over and help out. Thankfully he was receptive to the help as it could have gone badly and soon he was in the spot and setting up.
Lesson to new timers- Don't be afraid to ask for help. Those folks sitting and watching will gladly help without judgement and you will soon be joining them. Right?
cardinal96ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 08:23 AM   #13
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal96ss View Post
Last year while sitting out enjoying the evening a TT pulled in and went to backing into a spot a few spots away. Shortly the wife came over, explained that this was their first day of their first trip and the unbelievably her husband had never backed a trailer before, so would I "watch and look out for him". Placed me in a position I didn't want to be in. Within a few minutes I had to walk over and help out. Thankfully he was receptive to the help as it could have gone badly and soon he was in the spot and setting up.
Lesson to new timers- Don't be afraid to ask for help. Those folks sitting and watching will gladly help without judgement and you will soon be joining them. Right?
Sometimes certain things do take a village. Can't believe I said that. This won't go public, will it?
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 08:31 AM   #14
cardinal96ss

Hopefully not, but please don't say it again.
cardinal96ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 01:15 PM   #15
Buck1032

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
That's what I was thinking. The first time I tried to back a 35+ foot trailer into a tight spot I figure someone would start popping popcorn!! Thankfully those days are gone!!
You should have been at our house the first time I had to back our previous TT down our 1,000 plus feet driveway. Down the hill and around the curve to get out onto our tight dead end road. I felt like the guy in the video. Our DS was in the back seat being loud, DW walking behind on the phone giving directions and the father in law outside the drivers window giving directions. I was hearing lefts, rights and straights from all angles. All told it took 47 minutes. From there out I had the wife and son stay in the house, I would call them when I was ready to get out onto the road and they would walk down. Less than 3 minutes without help. With help 47. LOL
Buck1032 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 01:50 PM   #16
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck1032 View Post
You should have been at our house the first time I had to back our previous TT down our 1,000 plus feet driveway. Down the hill and around the curve to get out onto our tight dead end road. I felt like the guy in the video. Our DS was in the back seat being loud, DW walking behind on the phone giving directions and the father in law outside the drivers window giving directions. I was hearing lefts, rights and straights from all angles. All told it took 47 minutes. From there out I had the wife and son stay in the house, I would call them when I was ready to get out onto the road and they would walk down. Less than 3 minutes without help. With help 47. LOL
LOL! I hear it. A few weeks ago a fellow across the way from us was trying to back in and load his Arctic Fox cabover camper. He was older and another older gentleman came over to the passenger window to give instructions, the guy staying next to him (young man) came out and began helping from the driver's side. It was totally hilarious. The older fellow would tell him something and motion and he would cut his wheels and move a few inches, the young guy would start motioning and tell him something and he cut the wheels back the other way....then pull forward and start again. This went on for almost an hour and I told my wife I would go and offer to do it but didn't want to offend him. He eventually got hooked up but it was a hoot to watch.
Old 02-09-2017, 07:33 PM   #17
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankaye View Post
Howdy All;

Unfortunately,, the number of playbacks has reached a maximum and is
no longer viewable ...

hankaye
Just played it so guess it's back - not quite as funny as it was the first time (watched it 3 times) but it is still very funny . VW did a great job creating this vid.
Old 02-10-2017, 06:20 AM   #18
Barbell

In Alaska last summer watching the fishing boats come in in Seward. Fellow drove up in his new SUV pulling a brand new boat. Started trying to back it down the ramp to launch. Kept over correcting and pulling forward so much he kept getting farther and farther from the ramp til he was out in the street. The crowd was watching but no one offered to help. Finally a woman who had been watching went over and very politely asked if she could help. Driver got out and she backed it down the ramp no trouble. Guy got in his boat and never came back while we were there.
Barbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 10:26 AM   #19
{tpc}

Bummed I can't see it either. This year will be interesting for me as we have just moved. Maybe I should have someone tape the first time I try to back into the drive. We went from a extra wide 2 car style driveway, to a single car driveway.

Oh and we have a fire hydrant right on the right of way next to the driveway. If I can avoid that I should be ok lol. There is going to be a learning period...hopefully I don't learn the hard way.
Old 02-10-2017, 10:51 AM   #20
canesfan

I have a fire hydrant on the blind side next to my driveway that sits 15' in from the street. Even though I know if I keep my tires where I know they need to be, on the driveway, it still makes me a little nervous, after 12 years of backing in here. It's pretty much a 90* turn from the street into the driveway, so I'm not seeing that fire hydrant at all unless I get out and look.

As for watching, I get scared watching some people try to back into a spot. There have been many times I've wanted to go over and ask "would you like me to do that for you" but you never know what kind of response you'll get. Last year I was in my favorite SP going back to my site. I came up on someone trying to back into a spot. I stopped far back so as not to seem to rush them or worry them. I sat there and watched as he had the truck up in the woods on one side of the road and the trailer I was sure was going to end up in the woods on the other side. Wife was "trying" to help him, but it wasn't happening and the look on both their faces told they were NOT having a good time. Just about when I couldn't bare it anymore and was going to go ask if I could help, they managed to get the truck and trailer somewhat onto the site, at least enough off the road that they waved me by. I went on and was only a couple spots down from them. I could hear yelling for quite a bit after. When I went walking later they had managed to finally get into the site. They still didn't look too happy. I figured it wasn't the best time to say hi.