Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-10-2022, 05:26 AM   #21
markcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Steve View Post
If it has the thicker frame and heavier axles wont that make it ride like a 3/4 ton? Put LT tires on it and now you have a F150/250 hybrid? I would stick with the more robust truck especially if its paid for.
I've not driven one but the consensus on the Ford forums seems to indicate the HDPP rides/drives more like an F150 than a Super Duty.

Personally - and I'll probably get grief for this - not sure why there is such a concern with selling the current trailer and downsizing. If OP wants to switch to towing with a 1/2 ton, one with 1800-1900 lbs. of payload and properly equipped for towing can surely tow a 7K GVWR trailer safely, and be well within it's ratings. That trailer is not even 28' long.

Full disclosure - I traded 'up' to a SD after getting snookered by the '1/2 ton towable' sales spiel, but I have 5' more trailer and a 9500 lb. GVWR. Even loaded up to 8400 lbs I was still - although barely - under payload and axle capacity on my F150. I had 1870 lbs of payload. Knock off that 5' and a minimum of 1400 lbs and I'd likely still be towing with that F150 today.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 06:22 AM   #22
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcee View Post
I've not driven one but the consensus on the Ford forums seems to indicate the HDPP rides/drives more like an F150 than a Super Duty.

Personally - and I'll probably get grief for this - not sure why there is such a concern with selling the current trailer and downsizing. If OP wants to switch to towing with a 1/2 ton, one with 1800-1900 lbs. of payload and properly equipped for towing can surely tow a 7K GVWR trailer safely, and be well within it's ratings. That trailer is not even 28' long.

Full disclosure - I traded 'up' to a SD after getting snookered by the '1/2 ton towable' sales spiel, but I have 5' more trailer and a 9500 lb. GVWR. Even loaded up to 8400 lbs I was still - although barely - under payload and axle capacity on my F150. I had 1870 lbs of payload. Knock off that 5' and a minimum of 1400 lbs and I'd likely still be towing with that F150 today.
I agree with you, I wouldn’t think twice about towing the current trailer with a properly equipped and set up 1/2 ton, but it would require some mods to the truck (LT tires for one). That’s still cheaper than buying a new truck and rv, unless he really wants a different rv.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 07:33 AM   #23
cbmfire

Holy grail

I have a 2019 keystone Cougar 26RBS for sale. I recently bought a fifth wheel / 2500 Silverado as a package deal from an older couple who were getting out of camping. My Cougar has a front king bed, dinette, reclining love seats, 50 in TV, fire place and rear bath. 2 AC units. Self leveling. Single slide out. I pulled it with a 1500 Silverado with no problems. Only reason I bought the fifth wheel is because I’m hoping to put it on a permanent lot in the near future. The Cougar is a great couples camper. I can send pics if you want.
cbmfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 11:31 AM   #24
jamtracy

I don’t know if holy grail and half ton towable go together but whatever.
jamtracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 11:56 AM   #25
breeves2245

Maybe this is it.

The Geo Pro 19FD or FDS is about as close as I can get. GVWR 4,335. Hitch weight 435. Add battery, propane, etc, call it 750 lbs or so for hitch weight.

Exterior length 20' 2". So over six feet shorter than my Passport 229RK at 26' 10". Has dinette, theater seating (don't recline) with foot rest and murphy bed.

They are a bit pricey, but I'll see how far down this rabbit hole I go.

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/202...9FD-5022451875
breeves2245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 01:17 PM   #26
bsmith0404

If I remember correctly the geo pro is only 7’ wide. Those tend to get tight imo, but if it works for you…..
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 01:52 PM   #27
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeves2245 View Post
Maybe this is it.

The Geo Pro 19FD or FDS is about as close as I can get. GVWR 4,335. Hitch weight 435. Add battery, propane, etc, call it 750 lbs or so for hitch weight.

Exterior length 20' 2". So over six feet shorter than my Passport 229RK at 26' 10". Has dinette, theater seating (don't recline) with foot rest and murphy bed.

They are a bit pricey, but I'll see how far down this rabbit hole I go.

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/202...9FD-5022451875
Ahh but it’s single axle. I would have to replace the axle with one with Vault hubs and get over rated tires.
I think you have the perfect combo now. Sell the old Chevy or quit driving it. Switching back and forth you are seeing the difference.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 11:00 AM   #28
breeves2245

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Ahh but it’s single axle. I would have to replace the axle with one with Vault hubs and get over rated tires.
I think you have the perfect combo now. Sell the old Chevy or quit driving it. Switching back and forth you are seeing the difference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
If I remember correctly the geo pro is only 7’ wide. Those tend to get tight imo, but if it works for you…..
Your both right on the money. I went today to stick my head in one at the dealer. Yes, it felt a bit tight. And that single axle is hard to overcome for me. Really like the dual axle I have now.

I'll sit tight. I do have the right combo after all.
breeves2245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 11:25 AM   #29
oldnjrver

The Holy Grail of trailers

I suspect that you can find exactly what you want if your willing to do some modifications. We found our holy grail that is easily towed with our chevy silverado 1500.. We purchased a 2016 Aspen trail 1900RB. With its double axles It has a great cargo capacity. We took out the dinette and replaced it with a Credenza with a drop leaf table. (the credenza was made by a close friend who happens to be a cabinet maker) That coupled with a couple of reclining office chairs, gave us as much room as we desired. The drop leaf is self storing and we got rid of those awful tubes that support the table, which also gave us more leg room under the table.
The credenza top gives us additional table top space, and the credenza drawers gave us a much more organized storage than those darn dinette benches. I also installed two 110V outlets with usb charger ports, one on each end of the credenza.

It works for the two of us very nicely, in that it is simple and therefore reliable. We picked up additional floor space without the complications and weight associated with slide outs. When it time to travel, we just strap the two chairs against the credenza with a ratchet strap and we're ready to go..
I can post some pics if you like.

Best of luck in your quest..
oldnjrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 12:30 PM   #30
meaz93*

@oldrjrver ....definitely let's see some pics of that bad boy creedenza[emoji106]sounds awesome!
meaz93* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 01:15 PM   #31
oldnjrver

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaz93* View Post
@oldrjrver ....definitely let's see some pics of that bad boy creedenza[emoji106]sounds awesome!
OK then here you go..

There is a drawer on each end of the credenza each one is about 20 inches long by aprox 16" deep.
The top compartment is about 14" deep and holds all of our paper plates, plastic cups, napkins, utensils etc.

Sorry about the sideways image...

All the best
Pat
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0720171337-01.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	239.0 KB
ID:	41228   Click image for larger version

Name:	folded table 53.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	41229   Click image for larger version

Name:	lid open 5_221844.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	157.5 KB
ID:	41230   Click image for larger version

Name:	front drawer19.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	154.0 KB
ID:	41231  
Old 08-17-2022, 01:40 PM   #32
meaz93*

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldnjrver View Post
OK then here you go..

There is a drawer on each end of the credenza each one is about 20 inches long by aprox 16" deep.
The top compartment is about 14" deep and holds all of our paper plates, plastic cups, napkins, utensils etc.

Sorry about the sideways image...

All the best
Pat
Turned out quite nice. I'm a McGyver kind of guy myself-lol.....make it work and be functional at the same time![emoji106]
meaz93* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 03:31 PM   #33
oldnjrver

holy grail

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaz93* View Post
Turned out quite nice. I'm a McGyver kind of guy myself-lol.....make it work and be functional at the same time![emoji106]
Dont ya love it when a plan comes together?????
Old 08-19-2022, 09:18 AM   #34
sledz

We had a GeoPro 19FBS for two years. Couch was ok but eating in our laps or breaking out the table wasn't cutting it.
So our search started for the shortest camper that had recliners a dinette and separate bedroom. Not many out there but we found the Cougar 24SABWE. Super roomy in the living area and the dinette is fairly big compared to brands. Lots of windows and you don't have to go through the bathroom to go to bedroom (wife would never go for that). Only bummer is its a Western edition and you need to find dealer out West or pay the price for more transport. Nothing on the East side is similar unless its 30'.
sledz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 05:55 PM   #35
Neil S

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollaMo View Post
I feel the same way about these trucks.
I "daily drive" my 2500 Sierra HD just fine.

The 2012 Silverado 1500 I had before this one was not any easier or harder to drive around all day.
They were the same physical size, but as you said the 2500 sits up just a littler higher.

I pulled our previous travel trailer with both trucks, with a much better experience with the 2500.
Even through we were within all towing specs with the 1500, the "experience" was just better with the 2500.

Of course I would have never been able to move to our current 5th wheel with that 1500.
I had a 2015 Silverado 1500 with the Max Towing package, which had a 10900 towing capacity. With our first trailer, it was about 5700 lb empty but was probably close to 7300-7500 wet and with everything and the kitchen sink that my wife packed. The 1500 pulled it fine on flat, and did OK in the Rocky Mountains. We upgraded our trailer to a 7600 lb trailer, which wet and loaded is probably 9300. Towed it a couple times with the 1500 (including a trip in the Rockies) and it was a bit scary. I felt like the trailer was throwing the truck all over, and coming down the mountain passes, braking was a challenge, even running in lower gears. After that mountain trip, I came home and ordered a GMC 3500 Diesel. OMG, the towing experience is so much better. Barely feel the trailer back there, and with the diesel, power is not an issue. Have towed in wind, and with the heavier truck and heavier trailer, the wind is barely an issue. Our previous trailer was a 33 ft, and this one is a 36 ft.

I agree that driving the 3500 as a daily driver is not great, but having experienced both the 1500 and 3500 platforms, the trade off for daily driver is well worth it to keep the 3500.
Neil S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 03:58 AM   #36
JRTJH
Site Team

The SAE towing standards are written in such a way that they use a utility trailer, loaded with "dead weight" (concrete blocks, steel ingots, etc) that can be positioned on the trailer to obtain a "precise tongue weight/trailer weight ratio". There are no "slab sides to catch the wind", no "frontal area to affect drag", no "long trailer to create a pendulum effect" and no "shifting weight caused by water sloshing in the tanks" that can diminish the towing capacity of the tow vehicle or affect handling characteristics for the rig.

In other words, SAE standards are not set up to create any resemblance to a RV trailer. So, many people consider the "maximum weight tow ratings" as gospel, when in fact, they are only ONE part of the picture. All the other parts tend to be ignored by new owners who look in the vehicle owner's manual, see 10,300 or 11,200 maximum towing ratings and think, "I'm good, my trailer is half the maximum weight"....

Then, they hitch a "box with a tongue" to their tow vehicle, encounter high winds and 18 wheeler "push" on the interstate and realize their vehicle doesn't perform nearly the same as it did with no trailer. Then they try to navigate a winding mountain road or an emergency stop with a deer in the road or a "STOOPID DRIVER" who cuts them off at an exit ramp and they suddenly realize that their "weight ratings don't mean squat" when it comes to towing travel trailers......

If the "vehicle engineering staff" were responsible for tow ratings (rather than the marketing division who is trying to sell more vehicles than the competition) the ratings would very likely be substantially lower than they are on every tow vehicle..... JMHO, YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 06:58 AM   #37
flybouy
Site Team

Relying on "towing capacity" from the mfg is like relying on the EPA milage estimate on the new car sticker. You might get that with a best case scenario driving in the dry salt lake bed with no wind but don't count on iot in real life.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 08:40 AM   #38
travelin texans

Unfortunately there's a couple videos out the state "max tow rating the only issue towing" showing trucks with 5th wheels. Not sure if those are from truck manufacturers or just FB know it alls, either way it's definitely bad info for those that don't know better.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote