Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-08-2022, 09:29 PM   #1
bsmith0404

Are Disc Brakes Worth It?

Ok, I know pretty much everyone who has converted to disc brakes raves about them and say they are amazing and one of the best upgrades they ever made. When I sold RVs, I had a customer who had done the upgrade on his trade, but didn’t get it from the factory on his new trailer. I have towed a couple big 5ers that had disc brakes, to be honest I didn’t notice a difference. I’m planning on changing the suspension on my Alpine this year and considered doing the disc brake upgrade, just trying to figure out what everyone is raving about.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 04:25 AM   #2
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
Ok, I know pretty much everyone who has converted to disc brakes raves about them and say they are amazing and one of the best upgrades they ever made. When I sold RVs, I had a customer who had done the upgrade on his trade, but didn’t get it from the factory on his new trailer. I have towed a couple big 5ers that had disc brakes, to be honest I didn’t notice a difference. I’m planning on changing the suspension on my Alpine this year and considered doing the disc brake upgrade, just trying to figure out what everyone is raving about.
In everyday stoplight to stoplight or open highway driving I don't notice it much either and it took a little playing around with the controls to get the braking force correct but It is different.

I'm glad I had it done for many reasons including upgrading the studs and bearings... The thing I notice most is that when I have to apply the brakes heavily the truck and trailer don't fight... they're like a single unit..

I will admit that I would not have spent the money if I were not going to keep this trailer for the rest of my camping life. But this is it.. so I'm upgrading it with everything I always wanted but wouldn't spend the money on...
Old 08-09-2022, 05:33 AM   #3
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post

I will admit that I would not have spent the money if I were not going to keep this trailer for the rest of my camping life. But this is it.. so I'm upgrading it with everything I always wanted but wouldn't spend the money on...
That’s actually why I’m considering it. I plan to change the suspension out to Roadmaster Comfort Ride, putting the RV Armor Roof. I was thinking as long as I’m in there I could change to disc brakes as well, but that’s the one thing I haven’t noticed much of a difference on so the $$$ has me debating it.
Old 08-09-2022, 06:20 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

I have never regretted the $$ for the disc brakes, it is honestly the best upgrade I've ever done. Like Javi it took a bit to get it set up right but I've got a lot more braking power than I did...particularly with a hard (lockup) stop - regular drums could not compare and in the situation I was in the vehicle would have been rear ended if I hadn't had them. Those things combined with the fact that I don't have to worry about a schedule to pull the wheels and drums to check them and the brake shoes make it much nicer from a mtce. standpoint - especially as I get less inclined each year to do those sorts of things. And yes, it "feels" different. Very much like one unit vs a truck braking and a separate "appendage" (trailer) behind you braking in a different manner.

Now, would it be worth it if I wasn't planning on this being my last trailer? Maybe. It's expensive and gives a lot of bang for the buck but if you were only going to get 4-5 years service from it, and you know you won't get your money back on trade or sale, it would be questionable unless you just had a few thousand to throw around.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 06:32 AM   #5
wrvond

Quote:
Like you I've pulled a few campers with OEM disc brakes and didn't really notice a real difference in behavior. Long term durability and easier maintenance might be an advantage, though. Coupled with an RV ABS system, you'd be set.

wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 06:42 AM   #6
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrvond View Post
Like you I've pulled a few campers with OEM disc brakes and didn't really notice a real difference in behavior. Long term durability and easier maintenance might be an advantage, though. Coupled with an RV ABS system, you'd be set.
I’ve looked at the Lippert ABS system as well. Just haven’t seen a lot of real world info on it and don’t really want to be the Guinea Pig.
Old 08-09-2022, 08:59 AM   #7
travelin texans

Just like the others have stated I didn't notice a lot of difference in day to day braking but it only took one incident of emergency heavy braking to confirm it was absolutely the best braking system for a heavy 5th wheel & was money well spent.
I'm quite sure we would have been all the way into the back seat of the idiots car that swerved in front of us so he could slam in the brakes, I honestly think he was trying to collect insurance, but IMHO our disc brakes definitely foiled his plans, we stopped with room to spare in a perfect straight line & didn't slide a tire.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 09:18 AM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

In my mind there's no argument that disc breaks are far superior in all aspects. The question is, is it worth the money. To me, in our situation that's a no. However; if I had a new, heavy, fithwheel and traveled extensively (i.e. high milage) and/or frequently traversed steed grades then absolutly it would be worth it to me. But that's me, each person must make that descision on value based on their needs and wants.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 09:59 AM   #9
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
In my mind there's no argument that disc breaks are far superior in all aspects. The question is, is it worth the money. To me, in our situation that's a no. However; if I had a new, heavy, fithwheel and traveled extensively (i.e. high milage) and/or frequently traversed steed grades then absolutly it would be worth it to me. But that's me, each person must make that descision on value based on their needs and wants.
That’s the thing, with the exhaust brake in my truck I hardly ever touch the brakes, even down some 6-7% grades that go on for miles out west. Even coming to stop lights i try to let the exhaust brake do most of the work before i start on the pedal. I guess I can see where it could make a difference in an emergency stop, but I’ve been in a few of those situations with the drum brakes as well and been able to stop. A tire only has so much grip/stopping power before it locks up, once it locks up, the type of brake doesn’t matter. I have to say I like the idea of them, I’m trying to see the benefit of them. I just need to talk myself into the bang vs buck side of the argument.
Old 08-09-2022, 10:27 AM   #10
Steve/

Maybe, here is my $.02. If you tow your trailer a lot go with disc brakes (they like to be used ) , if you only tow a few times a year go old school as the disc brakes will give you trouble since they can have problems with corrosion when not used a lot, ( they drag ) at least in my experience. I tend to go old school ( if I have a chose ) as I do not see an major advantage to disc.
Old 08-09-2022, 10:35 AM   #11
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
That’s the thing, with the exhaust brake in my truck I hardly ever touch the brakes, even down some 6-7% grades that go on for miles out west. Even coming to stop lights i try to let the exhaust brake do most of the work before i start on the pedal. I guess I can see where it could make a difference in an emergency stop, but I’ve been in a few of those situations with the drum brakes as well and been able to stop. A tire only has so much grip/stopping power before it locks up, once it locks up, the type of brake doesn’t matter. I have to say I like the idea of them, I’m trying to see the benefit of them. I just need to talk myself into the bang vs buck side of the argument.
When I find myself torn between a decision like this I find it helpful to list the pros on on the left side of a piece after paper and the cons on the right side. For me it's a "visual illustration " that helps me "see" the issue with greater clarity. But that's what works for me. YMMV
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 12:20 PM   #12
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
When I find myself torn between a decision like this I find it helpful to list the pros on on the left side of a piece after paper and the cons on the right side. For me it's a "visual illustration " that helps me "see" the issue with greater clarity. But that's what works for me. YMMV
Yeah, I’m trying to figure out the pros. Cons is easy….cost written in big, bold, red, capital letters. Having towed a few, the pros was difficult to see/feel. I’ve never heard anyone who made the upgrade say they regretted it. In fact, most say it was the best upgrade they ever made (including some here). I was trying to figure out what they experienced that I didn’t, what was I missing. So far the main difference seems to be emergency stopping.

In all my years/ thousands and thousand of miles towing, I can say I’ve been in that situation a handful of times, actually 4 times over 20 years and 200k plus miles. I guess if it prevents a bad situation for happening just once it’s worth it, but so far I haven’t had a need since I was able to stop in every situation. I was just curious if there was more to it than that, if I was missing something.
Old 08-09-2022, 01:08 PM   #13
wrvond

Quote:
Yeah, I’m trying to figure out the pros. Cons is easy….cost written in big, bold, red, capital letters. Having towed a few, the pros was difficult to see/feel. I’ve never heard anyone who made the upgrade say they regretted it. In fact, most say it was the best upgrade they ever made (including some here). I was trying to figure out what they experienced that I didn’t, what was I missing. So far the main difference seems to be emergency stopping.

In all my years/ thousands and thousand of miles towing, I can say I’ve been in that situation a handful of times, actually 4 times over 20 years and 200k plus miles. I guess if it prevents a bad situation for happening just once it’s worth it, but so far I haven’t had a need since I was able to stop in every situation. I was just curious if there was more to it than that, if I was missing something.
There's what gets us into "trouble" - that nagging feeling that we might be missing something.
I once spent an ungodly sum for a set of fantastic pickups for one of my Stratocasters. They were awesome and made that guitar sound incredible. Now, years later, I couldn't tell you which guitar they are in. I gave several guitars to one of my brothers and they might have been in one of those! The point is, often times we tell ourselves that the money we spent -especially when it's lots of money - produced the desired result. Exhaust systems and tuner/programmers are like that, too. I can see some "pros" for hydraulic disc brakes, but for me, not enough to make the switch from the "good enough" electric drum brakes.
Disclaimer: YMMV

wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 02:59 PM   #14
sourdough
Site Team

I would clarify that the discs feel better than a drum any time they are really needed...not particularly panic stops but shutting down for whatever reason and slowing down. They feel stronger (and are) and inspire LOTS more confidence in their ability to do what they need to do. Now driving around town, slowing down for stop signs/red lights etc., no they don't feel "worth the money" although they do feel much more seamless operationally, like the trailer and brakes are part of your truck instead of a big mass behind you that is operating in an entirely separate traveling/braking world. I will also say that to me that sensation of the trailer "pushing" once you start trying to stop is pretty much gone. Lots of little things that make you (me) feel much better about stopping...however I have to do it. Did I mention not checking/adjusting brake shoes again??

The money is a consideration and that's why bang for the buck becomes a big deal. The miles you tow absolutely make a difference in their value to a person IMO; they have to pay for themselves that way because you'll never get your money back if you go to sell it. I wanted disc brakes and decided to replace/upgrade everything under the trailer "because". You want to upgrade the suspension so the cost of the brakes would be the biggest cost - that takes a bit of thinking to try and justify.
Old 08-09-2022, 03:20 PM   #15
bsmith0404

Thanks for all the replies. It’s something I’ll definitely have to think about. When I consider $8k for a new roof, $1k for suspension and another $650 on new tires, I have to really think about how much more do it want to spend on this thing.
Old 08-09-2022, 03:33 PM   #16
sourdough
Site Team

Yep, you've reached one of those "internal" moments....
Old 08-09-2022, 03:45 PM   #17
Javi

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies. It’s something I’ll definitely have to think about. When I consider $8k for a new roof, $1k for suspension and another $650 on new tires, I have to really think about how much more do it want to spend on this thing.
Here's how I feel about it.

I started with RV's back in '82 when a buddy recommended me as a mechanic to the owner of a camping center .
He hired me to do the mechanical work on motor homes, trailers and other stuff like installing hitches.

I was in my mid-thirties and working three jobs to accumulate my second million because my first wife took my first business in the divorce.

Since then I've learned what I wanted and didn't want in a trailer so in my mid-seventies and still working on my third million I am going to get what I want and the kids and grandkids can work for their own million..

I ain't got all that long to work and I'm going to enjoy it before I have to stop.
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 04:18 PM   #18
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Here's how I feel about it.

I started with RV's back in '82 when a buddy recommended me as a mechanic to the owner of a camping center .
He hired me to do the mechanical work on motor homes, trailers and other stuff like installing hitches.

I was in my mid-thirties and working three jobs to accumulate my second million because my first wife took my first business in the divorce.

Since then I've learned what I wanted and didn't want in a trailer so in my mid-seventies and still working on my third million I am going to get what I want and the kids and grandkids can work for their own million..

I ain't got all that long to work and I'm going to enjoy it before I have to stop.

^^^^Amen and amen.
Old 08-09-2022, 07:24 PM   #19
travelin texans

I agree with Danny, you feel the difference in any braking, the truck & trailer feel like one with the disc rather than the drums feeling like they are dragging you down, no jerking or that pulling feeling.
I also, same as you, let the exhaust brake & the transmission in tow haul take care of downhill slowing with only an occasional brake tap, but felt confident I could easy stop straight & even with the disc better than the drums.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 11:34 AM   #20
jamtracy

We went the Roadmaster comfort ride suspension for our 2019 Avalanche. It’s about as close to independent suspension as you can get for half the cost of disc brakes. So far we are happy with it.
Almost 4 years old and thousands of miles and the brakes were still good.
jamtracy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes