Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2022, 12:19 PM   #1
Matth101

GMC backup camera on TT hauler?

Hey all. I just got a GMC Sierra with all the towing stuff and was wondering if anyone has wired in the GMC backup camera on their hauler? I wanna use the screen already in the truck so I don’t have another monitor hanging around.
Looking to see how anyone has installed a wired camera on a travel trailer hauler and have it be fugly with wires running everywhere. I have an Impact 330.
Old 06-25-2022, 12:27 PM   #2
wiredgeorge

Matt, Don't think it makes a difference if you have a travel trailer or fifth wheel if you are going to use a wired rear view camera. I have a wired camera on my 5th wheel and if memory serves, my camera end wires are RCA and plug into my monitor. You will need to see if your GMC has RCA jacks and perhaps can switch back and forth from screen one to screen two. I have a bit 8" monitor in my old clunker mounted on the dash and it has a screen one and a screen two selector. I ran my wires from my camera along the horizontal trim strip on the back of my camper then down the side trim kind of beneath my ladder and all the way under my 5th wheel to where there is a pigtail connector that I connect to the female fitting in the bed of my truck. The male part is a pig tail cable that never gets disconnected and is stored in the box area of my receiver when not in use.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 11:46 AM   #3
Matth101

Thanks for the reply. I was more looking for info on the GMC specific trailer camera. It hooks up directly to the truck with a port next to the trailer light connection and feeds directly to the in-dash screen. Looking to see how anyone would have run the wires around the trailer. Definitely don’t want to mount it to the middle of the ramp door for the “transparent trailer” feature but I can live without that just want a nice trailer camera to work with my truck.
Old 07-06-2022, 12:51 PM   #4
CampNBrew2

A couple ways that I've seen are secured underneath along the frame rails all the way to the back bumper and surface mount up to your mounting location. Or along frame rails, through the floor under/near the fridge, up the chase behind the fridge, through the fridge roof vent, surface mount to roof to the back of the trailer camera location.
Aside from somehow getting through your ceiling and back wall in the trailer with a grommet and waterproofing, there's just no way around seeing a few wires surface mounted.
Please do share your end result.
2015 Honda CRF250L (Wifes)
Camping, home brewing, and dirt bikes!
CampNBrew2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 04:02 AM   #5
Skillet173

Thinking if I go that route I’ll mount camera on low side of ramp door and run wires under trailer to bumper of truck. I have a 5th wheel so invisible trailer won’t work anyway.

Got tired of "fighting stupid" (LEO) after 27 years and retired.
Active MX rider/racer, parent, sponsor, mechanic, transporter, and race fan for my son.
Skillet173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 05:56 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skillet173 View Post
Thinking if I go that route I’ll mount camera on low side of ramp door and run wires under trailer to bumper of truck. I have a 5th wheel so invisible trailer won’t work anyway.
??? I'd be reluctant to install a camera "on low side" of anything behind a travel trailer. The amount of road film, tire spray, mud, etc on the "lower half" of any trailer is enough to completley cover the camera lens with water, spray, oil/dirt/mud every time the trailer is in a "slightly wet environment".

Granted, today's cameras are IP67/IP68 rated (waterproof), but that rating doesn't "clean the lens so you can see".....

There's a reason why you almost always see rear cameras mounted under the center running light (not above it) on trailers. Then there's the "other few" that aren't mounted there.... I'd suspect most are still there, only because the owner hasn't figured out how to move their camera to a better location.....

As with carpentry, this is a good time to "measure twice/cut once".....

As for running the wires under the trailer, my camera is mounted 6" under the center running light, the wires go inside, into a upper cabinet, then to the roadside of the interior cabinets, down to the floor, through the floor, under the trailer through the same hole used for the slide power wiring, and I "zip-tied" the camera wiring to the propane line from the rear of the trailer to the front, up into the front storage compartment "at the landing gear opening" and then fished it from the front compartment, inside the FILON overhang to the pin box where it connects to the truck wiring.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote