Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2022, 04:43 PM   #1
PADuramax

New Awning Fabric install

Wondering if anyone here has replaced the awning fabric on a power awning and may be able to help.

I have a 2013 Cougar 327RES. The fabric went bad so I purchased a new one and tried to replace it. I Have the new fabric on, but for some reason when I hit the “extend” switch the awning literally flys open to the point I have to bump the retract button to stop it.

Now that it’s out, it will only partially retract and the motor is whining. When we took it apart, We put a pin in the non motor side, counted the number of revolutions when we took it apart (6 full revolutions) and used that when we put it back together.

After we had the issue, we tried winding the spring the opposite way to see if that helped and it didn’t.

At a loss at this point…seemed like a fairly straightforward project…
PADuramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 04:51 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

I assume you wound it back up in the opposite direction? We use 1 full turn for each foot of awning length.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 05:09 PM   #3
PADuramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
I assume you wound it back up in the opposite direction? We use 1 full turn for each foot of awning length.
Chuckster57, so if it’s an 11’ awning we should wind it 11 turns? We thought maybe we wound it backwards so we wound it the opposite direction 6 turns and it did the same thing.

I’m guessing it’s not a motor issue since it worked fine with the old awning.
Old 06-25-2022, 05:10 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

I would try 12 at least. You want it to have spring tension at all times trying to retract the awning. Clockwise if my brain is engaged.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 06-26-2022, 05:10 AM   #5
PADuramax

Thank you for the information we’ll
Give that a try!
Old 06-26-2022, 07:27 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by PADuramax View Post
Chuckster57, so if it’s an 11’ awning we should wind it 11 turns? We thought maybe we wound it backwards so we wound it the opposite direction 6 turns and it did the same thing.

I’m guessing it’s not a motor issue since it worked fine with the old awning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
I would try 12 at least. You want it to have spring tension at all times trying to retract the awning. Clockwise if my brain is engaged.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PADuramax View Post
Thank you for the information we’ll
Give that a try!
Maybe it's just me, but awning LENGTH (front of awning to rear of awning) as nothing to do with tension on the awning roller. The awning could be 11' long or 22' long, both have no bearing on roller tube tension...

The "important factor" is the awning WIDTH.... For the most part, all awnings extend somewhere between 7' and 8'. So, "one turn per foot" is either 7 turns or 8 turns.... Twisting the roller tube 11 turns for a 11' long awning will make the roller tube "too tight"...

As I said, just a "descriptive difference" but length and width are not the same....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 07:31 AM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Maybe it's just me, but awning LENGTH (front of awning to rear of awning) as nothing to do with tension on the awning roller. The awning could be 11' long or 22' long, both have no bearing on roller tube tension...

The "important factor" is the awning WIDTH.... For the most part, all awnings extend somewhere between 7' and 8'. So, "one turn per foot" is either 7 turns or 8 turns.... Twisting the roller tube 11 turns for a 11' long awning will make the roller tube "too tight"...

As I said, just a "descriptive difference" but length and width are not the same....
Ok, I guess it can be confusing. Pretty much all awnings extend the same amount. I was trained 1 turn for every foot of the roller tube.

Old 06-26-2022, 08:07 AM   #8
PADuramax

Thanks for the help! From what I’ve seen it needs to be turned counter clockwise as well. I pulled the paperwork, it appears to be a dometic 91660.

Would there be anything with how the motor went back in? We pulled the motor out and it went back in fine, just wasn’t sure if it had to coincide with the springs.

We also have the awning extended at this point because it wouldn’t retract without what seemed like a lot of work on the motor. So for now it’s fully extended
Old 06-26-2022, 08:20 AM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

There are slots in the plate of the motor shaft that have to coincide with the 3 channels of the tube interior.

Awning tube turns counterclockwise to extend and clockwise to retract, right? so you need to have tension on the roller tube when its fully retracted and increased tension when its extended. I will admit I get stuck on this pretty much every time since I dont do awnings all day long every day

Tags
awning