Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-02-2022, 01:21 PM   #21
Hemi1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Did you leave the RV closed up? If so, when the dehumidifier gets the moisture down it doesn't build back up real fast if everything is closed up. It's been 2 years since I ran the HiSense but doesn't it let you set the percentage of moisture you want in the air? I run this one at 40% (lowest it will go) and we stay very comfortable. As you know today has been rainy all day and I've been stuck in the trailer while DW is in Tallahassee visiting DD for a few days. This one has kicked to low and keeping it in the 40%+/- range. Amount of water varies with the weather; yesterday was hot and dry and there was only a bit of water in it last evening. This morning it was full after this front came in.....

Until you get used to it you might just pick it up and check under it after it's been running to make sure it's not getting the floor hot. I had mine on a thick, rubber backed entry rug type of thing I cut out to fit.
Yes, the camper is all closed up. I set it on automatic and with that setting you don't choose a moisture setting. I believe it stays at 50% max or lower.
Continuous/manual run mode (which I am not using) is where you choose the moisture setting. I've seen it at 48% and lower when I go in there to check it. I'll feel under it next time to see if it is warm. Since it's not on continuous run mode, I don't expect it to be hot. Thanks.
Hemi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 01:23 PM   #22
JBM3M

Great topic and valuable, but I have some to add to it.

First I did order this one from Amazon, Thanks to those that recommended it as that is what it took for the wife to relent on this large of a dehumidifier.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081RG8JYR...P5114EBN5N3FA3

My point is we go to the coast in WA and OR and will be going to ID and MT at almost any time of year. Get a larger CFM (essentially) to reduce the humidity faster when we are USING the RV.

We have no condensation problem when we are not using it, therefore, when we are parked/stored at home, we are using a Damp-Rid thing that has a fan and circulates the air. Since cold air won't hold as much moisture and the RV is not heated when not in use my hope is that this will be adequate. But for use with us in the RV and the temp differences and high humidity, we need quite a bit more dehumidification than damp-rid can do.

That is the plan anyhow, if it doesn't work I will advise.

2018 Cougar 1/2 ton 28sgs,
2023 F350 SD, Crew, long bed, gooseneck puck, 5th (B&W Companion), and Class V bumper hitch. 6.7 PowerStroke.
JBM3M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 05:13 AM   #23
Balvar24

I've found the best dehumidifier for mild/rainy weather is the one that comes on top of the camper. I take an electric space heater with me and force the air conditioner to run. We have a smaller camper with no slides, so maybe this isn't a great option for larger rigs.
Balvar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 05:24 AM   #24
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balvar24 View Post
I've found the best dehumidifier for mild/rainy weather is the one that comes on top of the camper. I take an electric space heater with me and force the air conditioner to run. We have a smaller camper with no slides, so maybe this isn't a great option for larger rigs.
The only problem with that besides wear and tear is the ac is probably operating below (outside) design temperature causing it to slug more liquid in the compressor..much better to just spend the little bit of money on a proper dehumidifier
Old 04-08-2022, 05:27 AM   #25
Balvar24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
The only problem with that besides wear and tear is the ac is probably operating below (outside) design temperature causing it to slug more liquid in the compressor..much better to just spend the little bit of money on a proper dehumidifier
I bought the camper to use. 60F and raining, mine will be fine.
Old 04-08-2022, 05:38 AM   #26
jasin1

Quote:
I bought the camper use. 60F and raining, mine will be fine.
Ok …sounds like you got it all figured out
Old 04-08-2022, 08:02 AM   #27
Balvar24

Thumbs up

Quote:
Ok …sounds like you got it all figured out
I think it will be ok.

Old 04-08-2022, 01:50 PM   #28
jasin1

Quote:
I think it will be ok.

Your probably right …you can just open the refrigerator or freezer door if it gets too warm from running the heater so you can run the air conditioner so you don’t have to use a dehumidifier

Seriously though I could care less I was just offering an opinion and wanted to put that out there because it seemed like a Rube Goldberg way to dehumidify for anyone else reading and contemplating that “solution”

Having two high amp draw appliances running at the same time isn’t a great idea and space heaters plugged into cheap rv outlets is not a good idea either..

Whatever works for you…more power to you my friend

My boat HP unit does have a dehumidify option where it samples air then runs intermittently to dehumidify but it’s water cooled and will cycle on head pressure drops…it’s mainly for in-water boat storage in the summertime
Old 04-08-2022, 02:13 PM   #29
flybouy
Site Team

Sorta like brushing your teeth with a lollipop.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 02:13 AM   #30
RickV

Quote:
Your probably right …you can just open the refrigerator or freezer door if it gets too warm from running the heater so you can run the air conditioner so you don’t have to use a dehumidifier

Seriously though I could care less I was just offering an opinion and wanted to put that out there because it seemed like a Rube Goldberg way to dehumidify for anyone else reading and contemplating that “solution”

Having two high amp draw appliances running at the same time isn’t a great idea and space heaters plugged into cheap rv outlets is not a good idea either..

Whatever works for you…more power to you my friend

My boat HP unit does have a dehumidify option where it samples air then runs intermittently to dehumidify but it’s water cooled and will cycle on head pressure drops…it’s mainly for in-water boat storage in the summertime
Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Sorta like brushing your teeth with a lollipop.
Proving yet again "You can lead em to water but, you can't make em drink"

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 03:47 PM   #31
hlh1

I'm thinking about getting this dehumidifier:

https://www.amazon.com/Ivation-IVADM...n%2C116&sr=1-9

Thoughts?
hlh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 03:54 PM   #32
JBM3M

I would go for the climates you are in.

I need overkill because my travel is in the PNW. The one I got works marvelously, almost a quart of water overnight with cold temps, snow, rain outside. Windows did not fog up last night, the first trial.

2018 Cougar 1/2 ton 28sgs,
2023 F350 SD, Crew, long bed, gooseneck puck, 5th (B&W Companion), and Class V bumper hitch. 6.7 PowerStroke.
JBM3M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 04:29 PM   #33
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlh1 View Post
I'm thinking about getting this dehumidifier:

https://www.amazon.com/Ivation-IVADM...n%2C116&sr=1-9

Thoughts?
I wouldn't waste the money. Don't know what a "thermo electric" dehumidifier is but the absorption has to come from something and I figure it's dessicant or something like it - useless IMO for an RV application.

Looking at it another way it says it will collect "up to" 20 oz. of water per day = 1 1/4 pts. - useless. My prior dehumidifier (in the barn now due to size) was a 35 PINT per day unit - excellent. Current one is 11 PINTS per day and does a good job. Both are compressor driven and the only kind worth spending money on IMO. I've owned one like you linked...threw it in the dumpster after 3 days.

Ivation has a good, small compressor driven dehumidifier that actually works and pulls lots of water out of the air;

https://www.amazon.com/Ivation-14-7-...ps%2C98&sr=8-5

I would have linked to the one I'm looking at in my RV but you can't get them any longer it appears. Note the one I linked says something about "up to 320 sq. ft." or about the size on the inside of an RV, the one you linked to just won't do anything.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 06:11 AM   #34
Balvar24

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickV View Post
Proving yet again "You can lead em to water but, you can't make em drink"
Give 'em a hand full of salt when you get there.
Old 04-11-2022, 03:04 PM   #35
hlh1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I wouldn't waste the money. Don't know what a "thermo electric" dehumidifier is but the absorption has to come from something and I figure it's dessicant or something like it - useless IMO for an RV application.

Looking at it another way it says it will collect "up to" 20 oz. of water per day = 1 1/4 pts. - useless. My prior dehumidifier (in the barn now due to size) was a 35 PINT per day unit - excellent. Current one is 11 PINTS per day and does a good job. Both are compressor driven and the only kind worth spending money on IMO. I've owned one like you linked...threw it in the dumpster after 3 days.

Ivation has a good, small compressor driven dehumidifier that actually works and pulls lots of water out of the air;

https://www.amazon.com/Ivation-14-7-...ps%2C98&sr=8-5

I would have linked to the one I'm looking at in my RV but you can't get them any longer it appears. Note the one I linked says something about "up to 320 sq. ft." or about the size on the inside of an RV, the one you linked to just won't do anything.

Hi Danny, This looks good. thanks!
Old 05-24-2022, 01:59 PM   #36
hlh1

Danny, per your recommendation I bought the Ivation dehumidifier and it's perfect.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220524_170237528.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	216.2 KB
ID:	39875