Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-06-2022, 05:43 PM   #41
pawpaw

Thanks!! Had a Keystone Fuzion that we bought in 2014 and traded it in for a Grand Design Solitude that was destroyed during Hurricane Ida. Downsized to a Cougar 25RDS that's plenty big enough for the wife and I. Kids are grown and have their own campers. Sold my dually not thinking we'd get another camper. So now the tow police think I need to get a Kenworth to handle around a 7800 lb. trailer!! My Expedition with the max tow package is rated for 9200 lbs and has a payload of 1769 lbs. Re-adjusted the Equalizer and shifted more weight to the trucks front axle. Like a see-saw game that we had with the toyhauler. I always leave early to get to a campground and keep speed down to the 60-62 mph range. I'm sure you'll get pointers on how to handle your GSD on here also!! Great animals and I've owned a couple over the years myself.
Old 05-13-2022, 11:31 AM   #42
pawpaw

Took the camper out on its first trip last week. Went to a state park close to New Orleans and just stayed 2 nights to get use to the camper. Only glitches were from a leaky shower door and latches on the fold up table broke and breakfast ended up on the floor. Whoever designed it gets a zero! Rig towed fine in low winds and camper didn't feel heavy at all accelerating and braking. Weight seems to be dispersed evenly over the 4 axles and didn't notice any swaying.
Old 05-13-2022, 11:46 AM   #43
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawpaw View Post
Took the camper out on its first trip last week. Went to a state park close to New Orleans and just stayed 2 nights to get use to the camper. Only glitches were from a leaky shower door and latches on the fold up table broke and breakfast ended up on the floor. Whoever designed it gets a zero! Rig towed fine in low winds and camper didn't feel heavy at all accelerating and braking. Weight seems to be dispersed evenly over the 4 axles and didn't notice any swaying.
Saw a picture of your camper in a for-sale ad. That table doesn't appear to be hinged in the U shaped dinette. What latches? Does that table collapse to make a bed (for someone you don't much care for)? How do you like that U shaped dinette? Seems it would be awkward getting around to the rear. I personally removed out standard dinette and replaced with an Ikea table and two chairs (just the two of us). Anyway, glad this camper is working out for you.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 12:14 PM   #44
pawpaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Saw a picture of your camper in a for-sale ad. That table doesn't appear to be hinged in the U shaped dinette. What latches? Does that table collapse to make a bed (for someone you don't much care for)? How do you like that U shaped dinette? Seems it would be awkward getting around to the rear. I personally removed out standard dinette and replaced with an Ikea table and two chairs (just the two of us). Anyway, glad this camper is working out for you.
2 spring loaded latches that lets you raise or lower it to make a bed out of the dinette area. Worked good for a day until a few drunken cajuns leaned on it and it collapsed. The legs will be amputated and I'll still use the top. Ate many meals on TV trays so we'll buy 2 for the wife and I. Junk design on the latches and people have had many problems with them. Dealer is supposed to get me another table and I'll see if my son in law can beef it up. For short trips this rig is ideal and its like a toy compared to the almost 60' truck and trailer we had before. Not planning on any long trips and if we do I'll use one of my son in laws 3/4 ton diesels.
Old 05-13-2022, 06:07 PM   #45
wrvond

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
I've got that same table in my camper with U shaped dinette. When I picked my unit up from Bisch's RV in Coldwater, MI somebody put it in the upright (unfolded) position. It was down when I did my walk through, and it basically got destroyed on the six hour trip home. I contacted Bisch's twice about this and their service department has ignored me both times. Essentially the hinges are pop riveted together so I straightened them out and put it back together with 1/4-20 pan head screws, washers and nuts. There's a small nick in one edge and a light scrape across the top. I guess I just get to live with those. It also put a small gouge in the floor, which I worked on with a pair of tweezers and some wood glue. That repair is almost invisible.
Anyway, we had a friend sleep on it with the cushions and a two inch thick memory foam topper. She said it was quite comfortable. The biggest problem we had is that the "bed" is nearly eight feet long (the width of the camper) and getting any kind of mattress topper to fit is pretty much impossible. We ended up getting a queen size topper and trimming the width down to fit. Since the table isn't bolted to the floor it's easy to slide it around to make room for both of us to use as work stations with our laptops. Lots more room than a conventional booth dinette.

wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 09:52 AM   #46
adm1949

25RDS Dinette Table

We had the same problem with our dinette table. The first time I raised it, the latch broke. Keystone replaced the base with same type. I'm trying to be very careful raising and lowering the table. If it ends up breaking again, I found a different base that looks to have a much better latching mechanism. Here's a link...
https://factoryrvsurplus.com/product...-legs-bed-base
Old 05-14-2022, 07:17 PM   #47
wrvond

Quote:
Originally Posted by adm1949 View Post
We had the same problem with our dinette table. The first time I raised it, the latch broke. Keystone replaced the base with same type. I'm trying to be very careful raising and lowering the table. If it ends up breaking again, I found a different base that looks to have a much better latching mechanism. Here's a link...
Great find!
I’m going to have to take some measurements to ensure it fits properly when lowered, but it looks like a great alternative.

Thanks!

wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 08:50 AM   #48
pawpaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by adm1949 View Post
Thanks for the info...still waiting to get a new table. I may not want to hold my breath on this. It's a shame it couldn't make one trip before breaking!
Old 06-07-2022, 08:44 PM   #49
army1rob

Dumb comment. That’s why you have trailer brakes. Just make sure your brakes are set to pull against the tow vehicle. Yes these new SUV’s have trailer controls like trucks.
army1rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 08:57 PM   #50
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by army1rob View Post
Dumb comment. That’s why you have trailer brakes. Just make sure your brakes are set to pull against the tow vehicle. Yes these new SUV’s have trailer controls like trucks.
To what comment do you refer?
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 09:23 PM   #51
army1rob

Sorry it was on the first page about the truck stopping the trailer. The reality is these trailers have brakes to stop themselves and these newer vehicles have controllers with instantaneous response times. I was reading down the thread and that one didn’t make any sense to me. Your trailer brakes should help stop the vehicle without dragging rubber. If they don’t you don’t have your gain set right.
army1rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 03:37 PM   #52
Kirk's Keystone Outback.

Quote:
Wife and I picked this up today. Great couples camper and the Expedition pulls it easily. Hitch needs to be tweaked..noticed some sway between 55-60 mph. Winds today are only in the 10 to 20 mph range and not like yesterday's 40 to 50 mph ones
Congratulations on the new home on wheels.
Now here are a couple observations, a couple readers may have already touched on.
1) At first glance I see a little squatting, telling me either the TV suspension isn’t appropriate for the trailer, or the WD isn’t properly set up. I have a 10K Equal-I-Lizer that work tremendously well, if properly rigged.
2) I have very good control going around 60 mph, and 65 if passing.

I pulled my 2018 30’ Outback UL with my F150 Ecoboost and it towed flawlessly, while complying the payload rules. That meant that I couldn,t carry 4 people or a full tank of gas, otherwise I’d be in violation of exceeding the payload. In 2020, I purchased a F250 just for towing, which almost tripled my payload, and zero squat on the rear end with complete stability. Just my 2 cents.

My advise is too keep a close key on the payload, speed and stopping distance, and then consider an upgraded TV.

Enjoy your trips!!!
Kirk's Keystone Outback. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 12:41 PM   #53
pawpaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk's Keystone Outback. View Post
Congratulations on the new home on wheels.
Now here are a couple observations, a couple readers may have already touched on.
1) At first glance I see a little squatting, telling me either the TV suspension isn’t appropriate for the trailer, or the WD isn’t properly set up. I have a 10K Equal-I-Lizer that work tremendously well, if properly rigged.
2) I have very good control going around 60 mph, and 65 if passing.

I pulled my 2018 30’ Outback UL with my F150 Ecoboost and it towed flawlessly, while complying the payload rules. That meant that I couldn,t carry 4 people or a full tank of gas, otherwise I’d be in violation of exceeding the payload. In 2020, I purchased a F250 just for towing, which almost tripled my payload, and zero squat on the rear end with complete stability. Just my 2 cents.

My advise is too keep a close key on the payload, speed and stopping distance, and then consider an upgraded TV.

Enjoy your trips!!!
Payload on the Expedition is 1769 lbs. Wife and I are usually the only occupants when towing. The camper is loaded lightly and weight placed over the axles or slightly to the rear of camper. Son in law re-adjusted the 4 point Equalizer that the dealer had set incorrectly. Only put about 10 to 15 gallons in the fresh water tank and one propane tank empty to cut down on hitch weight. After adjusting the hitch and doing the same with trailer weight the camper is very easy to tow. Second trip I only went 60 to 62 mph max and it did very well. 10 ply BFG's on the Expedition aired to 65 psi. Nothing like the F350 dually I had pulling a 17K pound 5th wheel but for short trips it will have to do. I'm guessing your F250 is a gas burner which has a much better payload then its diesel brother. I towed a 39" toyhauler with a F250 diesel and the lack of payload was taking a toll on the truck. Camper was almost 3500 lbs on the hitch with a generator aboard the front of the camper. Bought a dually and problem solved!
Old 06-27-2022, 05:08 PM   #54
pawpaw

Well..well..well!

Got a recall notice about the poorly designed and manufactured adjustable table in our camper. I'm sure it affects other models that have them as well. Maybe Keystone does read these forums!! Calling the dealer tomorrow and see if they have any or have to order one. Passing close Thursday on our way to Texas.
Old 08-11-2022, 10:14 AM   #55
pawpaw

Finally got a recall notice from Keystone on the folding dinette table we have. First trip out and it folded on its own while we were eating breakfast. Junk design that they finally admitted the problem. No other problems with the camper that a little Gorilla Glue and a brad nailer can't handle. Still trying to get my house finished from last year's Hurricane Ida and waiting for our best camping season coming up in October. Hadn't blown out any Trailer King's yet but still plan to go with GY Endurance like daughter and son in law have on their Jayco Eagle. Lot's of rain along with heat and high humidity make for bad camping conditions anyway. That's All Folks!!!
Old 03-19-2024, 08:17 AM   #56
pawpaw

A 2yr update on the 25RDS Cougar. Local dealer that we didn't even buy the camper from really helped us out with their service dept. I changed out the Key TV module and its been working fine. Got a new folding table to replace the defective one due to a recall. The In-Command is working but real tempermental. Constant re-booting is a PITA. We found a leak in the bedroom last trip out and appears its from the upper LED light strip that wasn't siliconed properly. Put some clear Gorilla tape as a temporary fix and it worked fine. On short trips the Expedition has been doing a good job but not as good as son in laws F250 diesel that we use for longer trips. Real towing mirrors and exhaust brake on the F250 help a lot along with a much larger fuel tank. The F250 still can't beat the Expedition for my daily driving and usage on trips that are probably over 90 percent of the time. Ditched the Trailer Kings and went with the Goodyear Endurance tires. Take my time on the road and limit speed to the 60-62 mph range. Still better than the 55 mph limit I had pulling tankers years ago!!
Old 03-19-2024, 11:58 AM   #57
GlasNav

Quote:
Well..well..well!

Got a recall notice about the poorly designed and manufactured adjustable table in our camper. I'm sure it affects other models that have them as well. Maybe Keystone does read these forums!! Calling the dealer tomorrow and see if they have any or have to order one. Passing close Thursday on our way to Texas.
This is something I need to look into ours has been a piece of crap since we received it, and it was even rusty as if it was sitting in outside storage. Had to place shims in each side to keep the thing from wobbling like a catfish from day one. Our neighbor has a rockford with a similar table and it is solid...

I hear from my daughter that crawfish season hasn't been too goo this year.

2021 Cougar 25RDS
2019 RAM 3500 Longhorn, Mega Cab, DRW,
Cummins 6.7 HO, Aisin 6 Spd HD, 4x4
GlasNav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 03:06 PM   #58
pawpaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlasNav View Post
This is something I need to look into ours has been a piece of crap since we received it, and it was even rusty as if it was sitting in outside storage. Had to place shims in each side to keep the thing from wobbling like a catfish from day one. Our neighbor has a rockford with a similar table and it is solid...

I hear from my daughter that crawfish season hasn't been too goo this year.
I received a recall letter from Keystone not long after the problems started with ours. Turned the old one in and got a new one. Works perfect so far. With the extreme heat and little rain this past year the crawfish are scarce and prices are sky high. We can get lobsters cheaper!! Getting too old to be climbing on ladders. Just finished siliconing the ends of the LED lights in the front. Had some leaking from the heavy rain we had last week. Crazy weather down here. T-shirt weather and in the 70's yesterday in the 40's this morning and windy. Had to wear a flannel shirt. Mowed the lawn after working on the camper. Hope the new tow vehicle is treating you right!!
Old 03-31-2024, 12:36 PM   #59
LnS

enjoy it, we really like ours. the floor plan sold us
LnS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cougar