Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-10-2021, 03:51 AM   #1
jasin1

1/2 ton with a travel trailer

This is a short video that sums up the reasons for going to a 3/4 ton truck when towing a 26’ or larger TT
Old 02-10-2021, 06:33 AM   #2
linux3

Thanks, good advice.
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 07:47 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

That's the "sail effect" that we all talk about. Ford, GM and RAM DO NOT address travel trailer towing in the SAE J2807 certifications. SAE calls for a specific flatbed configuration with concrete blocks positioned over the axles to obtain a specific "tongue load" or "pin load" based on the trailer/concrete block weight. There is no "sidewall consideration that approximates the HUGE sidewall load an RV places on the stability of every tow vehicle. The SAE J2807 certification tests do NOT address the dynamic forces every RV trailer will face on the highway at 60+ MPH.

The sad part, at least for me, is that a "new RV owner with a half ton truck and a large travel trailer" will not have any feel for "the way it's supposed to tow". So, far too many of them simply accept the unstable and often unsafe towing as "must be normal for all trailers because the dealer said....." Or, it's the way mine has always towed, so it must be the way it has to be....

NOT TRUE !!!!! Everyone of us who has comparative towing experience, in other words, towing with more than one rig, will tell anyone that some rigs tow better than others. Those that have upgraded tow vehicles will go on to say, the heavier, more capable tow vehicle is "significantly more stable while towing". Those who say, "Well, it's good enough" will be OK, at least until the s**t hits the fan, then it depends more on luck with a bit of driver's skill as to whether they're changing underwear or calling their insurance agent... Hopefully they won't be calling the ambulance or the morgue.

It's not just about being "under the numbers"... It's about "being in control of the towing" rather than "allowing the trailer to be in control by using an inadequate, often unsafe tow vehicle"....

It takes a leap of faith to suffer the financial loss of upgrading a vehicle, but I don't know of anyone who has done it and regretted it, if they were towing with an undersized vehicle.

The bottom line, at least for me, is that people simply "don't know what they don't know"... That's not an insult, not intended to be one, but people who "accept poor towing stability as normal because it's all they've ever experienced" will never learn from their own mistakes....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 09:25 AM   #4
nellie1289

Having owned a 1/2 ton pickup there are many advantages including its softer ride. They are great as family utility trucks, but they are not much good for anything other than a tiny trailer or small boat, some atvs, or general hauling around some home depot or costco runs. They serve a purpose, towing larger loads is not one of them. We are forced to pull our malibu boat with our yukon xl from time to time when we want to tow the fiver and the boat to a lake spot. It does fine, its just not the same as a truck built for heavier loads.
2021 Malibu 23 LSV
2017 Yamaha YXZ1000R SS SE
2019 Can AM Maverick X3 Turbo XRS
nellie1289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 12:12 PM   #5
jasin1

Years ago I towed a 30’ trailer with a Chevy 1500 conversion van and it was a harrowing experience.. I thought it was just a heavy trailer and that’s how they tow.. I then bought a 2500 ram diesel in 2005...it was a night and day difference towing the same trailer.
Old 02-10-2021, 06:49 PM   #6
Bill-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
This is a short video that sums up the reasons for going to a 3/4 ton truck when towing a 26’ or larger TT
Hmmm... some here will say that even a 25' TT is still too much of a trailer for a 1/2 ton. I was also told that my Tundra (previous TV) had no business towing "any size camper" of which I totally disagree with that statement.
Old 02-10-2021, 07:01 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-2020 View Post
Hmmm... some here will say that even a 25' TT is still too much of a trailer for a 1/2 ton. I was also told that my Tundra (previous TV) had no business towing "any size camper" of which I totally disagree with that statement.
I would be one ^^^. I pulled a 25', no slide camper all over TX with a 1/2 ton long bed Ford. I have never felt or experienced the sway, tugging and sometimes outright "holy cow" feelings as I did doing that. I did however, in later years, pull a larger trailer with a 1/2 ton, FAR better equipped and didn't have the terrible issues - but, that 1/2 ton couldn't begin to provide the towing experience I had after I bought my 3/4 ton....not in any way.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 05:36 PM   #8
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
That's the "sail effect" that we all talk about. Ford, GM and RAM DO NOT address travel trailer towing in the SAE J2807 certifications. SAE calls for a specific flatbed configuration with concrete blocks positioned over the axles to obtain a specific "tongue load" or "pin load" based on the trailer/concrete block weight. There is no "sidewall consideration that approximates the HUGE sidewall load an RV places on the stability of every tow vehicle. The SAE J2807 certification tests do NOT address the dynamic forces every RV trailer will face on the highway at 60+ MPH.

The sad part, at least for me, is that a "new RV owner with a half ton truck and a large travel trailer" will not have any feel for "the way it's supposed to tow". So, far too many of them simply accept the unstable and often unsafe towing as "must be normal for all trailers because the dealer said....." Or, it's the way mine has always towed, so it must be the way it has to be....

NOT TRUE !!!!! Everyone of us who has comparative towing experience, in other words, towing with more than one rig, will tell anyone that some rigs tow better than others. Those that have upgraded tow vehicles will go on to say, the heavier, more capable tow vehicle is "significantly more stable while towing". Those who say, "Well, it's good enough" will be OK, at least until the s**t hits the fan, then it depends more on luck with a bit of driver's skill as to whether they're changing underwear or calling their insurance agent... Hopefully they won't be calling the ambulance or the morgue.

It's not just about being "under the numbers"... It's about "being in control of the towing" rather than "allowing the trailer to be in control by using an inadequate, often unsafe tow vehicle"....

It takes a leap of faith to suffer the financial loss of upgrading a vehicle, but I don't know of anyone who has done it and regretted it, if they were towing with an undersized vehicle.

The bottom line, at least for me, is that people simply "don't know what they don't know"... That's not an insult, not intended to be one, but people who "accept poor towing stability as normal because it's all they've ever experienced" will never learn from their own mistakes....
A 3/4 ton truck probably weighs close to 1000 lbs heavier then a 1/2 ton similar configuration.. there is probably a formula someone could come up with that has optimal percentage of tow vehicle curb weight to rv curb weight and why having a closer balance of mass is advantageous over a lop sided setup. You want to have a balanced scenario where the trailer can’t push the tow vehicle around when things don’t go as planned... I will leave that up to you engineers and mathematicians on the site lol
Old 02-12-2021, 09:04 AM   #9
MarkEHansen

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post

I was one of those that towed for years not knowing that my TV was underrated for the job. It was only when we got our current trailer that the experience was so bad that I started looking into weights, etc.

With help from several folks on this forum, I finally got to a point that I understand it all, and realized why I was having such a hard time towing.

The conversion to a proper tow vehicle for us was quite costly, but we're very happy with the result. It's true that it's hard to know what you don't know.
Old 02-12-2021, 01:10 PM   #10
CrazyCain

I'm glad i only have a 18' right now. One more year and then upgrade on both TT and TV...

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
2017 Keystone Hideout 177LHS Carlisle Radial HDs
:
CrazyCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 03:44 PM   #11
drew999999

I wish the old me would have listened back when I began. Started with a 39ft overall TT and an F150 Crew Cab 3.5 Eco. Slapped a Propride on it and started dragging it around. I spent a TON on truck upgrades and the hitch before we decided we really wanted a 5er. Bought an F350 and started shopping. Made a deal on a new Sprinter 5th wheel, but it was about 100 miles away, and I was dreading pulling the TT down the Interstate since it was a day with 20mph sustained winds and I had swapped back to the original equalizer hitch. Hooked up, said some prayers, thought about all the things I hadn't accomplished in life, and hit the road. That was the day I learned how dangerous I had been living. That pull was one of the most pleasant towing experiences I ever had. There is a ton of truth to this video.
drew999999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel trailer