Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-18-2010, 02:14 PM   #1
Outbackmel

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Turbo Diesel

Need some guidance.....first diesel....know you have to "bleed" the fuel separator every now and then. Know where it is and "technically" how to accomplish this BUT, here is the kicker....all diagrams AND the dealer show the
petcock at the top of the drain tube which hangs below the fuel filter....
So far, so good...WRONG...trying to reach in behind the wheel well, as recommended, or from the top side is almost humanly impossible...

Anybody out there have this truck and a solution or a diesel mechanically inclined solution expert??

All tips appreciated....

Thanks,
Outback Mel
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 04:09 PM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

I can only speak for my 04.5 .. If they still use the same filter you have to extend the drain hose or it splashes on the frame. On mine it is a yellow lever under the filter housing ... if you can see it it's very easy to ¼ turn it for a few seconds. I buy my fuel only from busy stations and since 1994 I have never had a drop of water. I only use the drain when I change the filter. If you still need help this is the best place to go for any Dodge Cummins info http://www.turbodieselregister.com/ Good luck and enjoy your truck, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 06:29 PM   #3
Outbackmel

Thanks Hankpage

You have the same truck 2 friends of mine have which led me to Dodge. Unfortunately for me, mine is the first generation of a new engine and they have made the draining much more difficult to reach. I guess I won't be draining it until the light comes on

I like to be preventative versus reactive which does not seem to be the most reasonable path with this particular situation. I have the Dodge tech print for this, BUT, that don't "git r done" without the torque and twist of a 19 year old body......

Like you, I visit only high volume diesel service centers. I am trying to figure this out now versus in a truck stop on a highway to nowhere with the 5er hanging on the rear. I hate little lights and warning bells.....scares the devil out of my wife and make my life difficult

Thank you for your comments.

Outback Mel
Old 10-19-2010, 04:31 AM   #4
Jim W

Mel,
I have a 6.7L Cummins in a 2008 Dodge Mega Cab. The fuel filter for this engine was redesigned away from the model used on the 5.9L Cummins engine. I know my son has a 2006 Quad Cab 5.9L truck.
The star wheel under the filter will not close completely after you open it the first time and will drip fuel. I know this has happen to me. This has been addressed by the redesigned new filter FS2 designed that Cummins has released for the 6.7, 2007.5 to 2009 engines. The fuel filter was redesigned again for the 2010 engines and now is serviced differently.
I no longer drain the fuel filter (have not done this since my first time I tried to drain the filter) until I change the filter, then the front tire comes off to get in there to change the filter. I change both of my filters every 10,000 not the 15,000 miles recommendation by Cummins and Dodge. Never had a water issue with my fuel. I just make sure that I buy my fuel from high volume diesel truck stops.
I say both because I also use a 2 micron filter after the 5 micron filter that is the standard filter on the engine.
Jim
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 04:35 PM   #5
Outbackmel

Jim,

Thanks for the info. I was hoping an owner of similar experience would be out there. Other info received was on target as well, however, with the switch in filter and draining, I was having an issue. Your advice on changing the filter at every 10,000 makes good sense. It is a BEAR to try to get to.

This forum has provided valuable and time saving information.

I consider myself now informed and this issue resolved.

Much appreciated.

OutbackMel
Old 09-10-2011, 08:21 PM   #6
Rock7

Filter Changes and Cummins questions

Try Cumminsownerz.com...Lots of good info and (How to do this and that)
Rock7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 07:19 PM   #7
RCrawler

I never drain the separator. Change fuel filters every 10-15K miles and have never had a problem even buying fuel from less than reputable places and filling from my farm tank.

I don't remove the wheel to change mine. Just turn the wheel to the right and you should be able to get in there. I use a short 3/8" drive ratchet with a flex head to R&R the filter.

Jason

'12 (EDITED) 324RLB- 3 bedroom, 1 1/2 bath
RCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 03:24 AM   #8
vwalla

Not sure if this helps.

http://www.cumminsownerz.com/f11/cum...er-change-129/