Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 06-19-2022, 03:55 PM   #1
IM SYKO

Stargard gps device

While up in the battery compartment on our 2022 Fuzion 419 I noticed a black square device that was zip tied to the front right side landing gear. It is a Stargard GPS. At first I thought my parole officer was getting sneaky and then remembered I discharged 10+ years ago.
I found the website and attempted to create an account but the device was already registered. I assume the dealer or the factory installed this and forgot to tell me about it and transfer it over.
Anybody else out there have any info on this?
Thanks in advance for your time.
MT
Old 06-19-2022, 04:11 PM   #2
jasin1

did you finance it? maybe the dealer or the bank has it in case of default…they can find it easy…not saying you would default but maybe with the economy the dealer or the bank is playing it safe….. used car dealers do similar things with kill switches that use gps and remote to disable a car when payments are missed…

…..OR ……some clever/ devious thief installed it and will wait about 3 months and find where it’s parked and make off with it in the dead of the night
Old 06-19-2022, 08:42 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
did you finance it? maybe the dealer or the bank has it in case of default…they can find it easy…not saying you would default but maybe with the economy the dealer or the bank is playing it safe….. used car dealers do similar things with kill switches that use gps and remote to disable a car when payments are missed…

…..OR ……some clever/ devious thief installed it and will wait about 3 months and find where it’s parked and make off with it in the dead of the night
Or use it to track when the trailer is "out of the area" signaling the all clear to break into the house, garage and anything else that's not located with the trailer.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 09:44 PM   #4
IM SYKO

I Like Your Thinking

You know I hope your correct in the first response. I would be so happy if this thing got stolen. Hahaha. I figure the dealer put it in and forgot to transfer it into my name.
IM SYKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 09:45 PM   #5
IM SYKO

I don’t like that thought.
Old 06-20-2022, 03:11 AM   #6
ChuckS

I just had to look.....

https://stargardgps.com/

And I would make one call to the dealership and ask why it was installed without your permission and how to change registration....

But NO business has the right to install such a tracking device.. and that's it only purpose .. No financial institution has the right to install a GPS tracking device on something you finance through them...

The more I think about it the more I would cut the wires and toss the thing in the trash.. there are already enough tracking things out there...

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 04:25 AM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
I just had to look.....

https://stargardgps.com/

And I would make one call to the dealership and ask why it was installed without your permission and how to change registration....

But NO business has the right to install such a tracking device.. and that's it only purpose .. No financial institution has the right to install a GPS tracking device on something you finance through them...

The more I think about it the more I would cut the wires and toss the thing in the trash.. there are already enough tracking things out there...
Agreed with above. Unless court ordered no one can add a device to track a vehichle AND USE IT without your consent. It may be an option like On Star in which case the dealer should have disclosed and demonstrated. As for tracking devices molst folks give their permissions on their phones for this when they use any number of apps. But who reads all those pages of disclosures when installing an app? Click on yes, I read all that and go on.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 04:20 AM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by IM SYKO View Post
I don’t like that thought.
It would be helpful if you quote who you are answering ion your reply. Otherwise no one knows what you are talking about.
Old 06-20-2022, 08:45 PM   #9
travelin texans

Whoa!
I'd cut that suckered loose ASAP & either toss it in the lake tied to a big rock or slam it down on the desk of that dealerships GM & demand why/who authorized it on my rv.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 04:26 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Whoa!
I'd cut that suckered loose ASAP & either toss it in the lake tied to a big rock or slam it down on the desk of that dealerships GM & demand why/who authorized it on my rv.
#2..... I value my privacy and freedom from search/monitoring without a court order.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 04:30 AM   #11
ChuckS

There has to be "More to this story"... No RV dealership or financial loan institution that I would do business with would have installed this GPS tracker..

And if they did there WOULD HAVE TO BE a separate disclosure form requiring a signature that the OP would certainly have been made aware of and had to sign stating he was aware of such a device..

Hope the OP updates this post with the "Rest of the Story"

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 04:41 AM   #12
jasin1

the tricky part is IF the lender had it installed and you remove it …you would likely be defaulting on the loan…i’d read thoroughly thru all my paperwork.

there is a possibility that the dealer just installed it on their own lot because of theft protection and forgot to take it off..or if they used the fifth wheel in a rv show and wanted extra security.

what liability do rv transporters have with rigs they move for keystone?…for theft?
Old 06-21-2022, 06:00 AM   #13
flybouy
Site Team

I would think the tracker was installed for a non nefarious reason and was either forgotten or abandoned. Just thinking of some scenarios where it may have been placed for a "legitimate" purpose and not removed. Perhaps the trailer was intended as a rental unit and installed by the factory (the build sheet would revel that) and Keystone redirected the trailer for delivery.

Maybe the dealer installed it because of theft issues and the prep guy forgot to remove it. Maybe a government agency installed it to track your whereabouts. Seen any unmarked black helicopters lately? Of course that last suggestion was tongue in cheek. If it were my trailer I would call the dealer and ask them if it belongs to them. If it's theirs then tell them THEY can come get it. Otherwise they can track it all the way to the landfill. If it doesn't belong to the dealer then I would remove it, send it to the landfill and not worry about it.
Old 06-21-2022, 07:00 AM   #14
IM SYKO

Follow up

Thanks everyone for the input.I spoke to the people at Star Gard yesterday. They never received any information from Mike Thompson RV and said that if I send them my registration they would transfer it over to me.
This toy hauler replaced our old one that had a “frame issue”.
I know the people back in Goshen re not fans of mine so who knows where it came from.
I do know it isn’t functional any longer…..
IM SYKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 09:31 AM   #15
jasin1

Quote:
Thanks everyone for the input.I spoke to the people at Star Gard yesterday. They never received any information from Mike Thompson RV and said that if I send them my registration they would transfer it over to me.
I know the people back in Goshen re not fans of mine so who knows where it came from.

that’s EXACTLY what i would expect the finance company to do! as soon as you send your registration to them then ….POOF!…. your rv disappears and it’s like you never owned it! …the black suburbans leave your neighborhood and the number is disconnected at the finance company….be very careful with your next moves…lol

seriously though it’s good you got it figured out…i’d just tell them to cancel it altogether after they transfer it to you so the paper trail ends with you
Old 06-26-2022, 01:47 PM   #16
IM SYKO

I left the paper trailer at the dealer. Non operational now. Back the the solar inverter headache. Hahaha
Old 06-21-2022, 12:33 PM   #17
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Transfer it? That would imply it was registered to someone before . Hmmmm.
Old 06-21-2022, 01:44 PM   #18
Badbart56

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Transfer it? That would imply it was registered to someone before . Hmmmm.
My first thought. Any remote possibility that this was a repo? If so, and you bought it as new.....

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 02:24 PM   #19
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbart56 View Post
My first thought. Any remote possibility that this was a repo? If so, and you bought it as new.....
It just could have been an assumption on Star Guards part thinking you bought a trailer and it has it installed you probably bought a used trailer. Who knows. One thing is for certian, SOMEONE installed it ......
Old 06-26-2022, 07:26 AM   #20
LewisB

Maybe I’m naïve but…

Anything that you do to destroy the GPS will tell whoever is watching that it is no longer functioning. I would be more inclined to “redirect” those prying eyes without letting them know the unit was disabled. How about attaching it to the mailman‘s truck the next time he comes by? Just a thought.
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote