Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-21-2020, 07:34 AM   #1
Spletbr

Satellite connection issues.

I’m a little confused reading replies from earlier threads and will need to explain by issue and potential solution(s) to the dealer. I have a new satellite system connected through KeyTV. Problem is I don’t get all the stations because I’m not getting all the transponders. Direct TV says they see this often and usually because of bad wiring and/switched. If I run the coaxial direct to the Wally box everything is fine. Through the convenience center, not all fine. Thanks
Spletbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 07:38 AM   #2
flynaz

I found that the TV antenna booster is usually the cause. Make sure that is powered off, otherwise causes issues. I actually ran a separate feed into my coach for dedicated Sat hope this helps?
flynaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 07:42 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

If you're not an "electronics expert" (and it sounds like you're not), what did your dealership have to say?

All it takes is a loose connection, a bad "crimp-on terminal" a staple through a cable or one of many other problems to make the system "not work".

If you do get "all the channels" when you connect "outside the KeyTV system, then it's fairly certain that the problem lies "within the KeyTV function.

Two choices, "tear into it and fix it" or "report it to the dealer and schedule an appointment". There is no "do these two steps and it will work"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 07:55 AM   #4
Spletbr

Yep, not an electronics expert. This is a 2020 rig, doesn’t have a booster button. I haven’t talked to the dealer yet but do have an appointment for when we get back next month. I just want to be help direct them as I fear otherwise they’d say they don’t see a problem. They don’t to go out of their way.
Spletbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 08:21 AM   #5
Larrylane

I had many issues on my 2016 Cougar 5th wheel and first replaced all the connectors and wall plates to match the RG6 coax. Even with the powered antenna off or on it still didn't work consistently.

My television is above the fireplace in the kitchen slide and after pulling the fireplace I discovered that when they drilled a 1" hole in the interior slide wall for the fireplace power cable they nicked the coax cable on the Sat side coax. I eventually pulled new cable from the television coming out the bottom of the slide about 6" and attached a barrel splice so that my new Sat connection is at that point. All new connectors should be approved for RG6 coax cable.

A side benefit is that I reduced the total length of coax by 25' from portable Sat dish to my Dish Network Wally receiver through the RV which gave me that 25' extra length to increase the total distance away from RV to get past trees and the dish still works great.

It's not as difficult as it sounds, but you do need to apply new sealant where you exit the bottom of the slide.
Larrylane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 09:14 AM   #6
Camp CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spletbr View Post
I.................I have a new satellite system connected through KeyTV. Problem is I don’t get all the stations because I’m not getting all the transponders. Direct TV says they see this often
The dealer installed a Directv traveller satellite on our new fifth wheel (also installed on on my first fifth wheel) and paid a Directv technician to confirm the system works on all the tv's. Suggest having the dealer and/or have a Directv technician troubleshoot. We hope you will be satisfied with the outcome.
Camp CA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
satellite