Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-18-2020, 06:06 PM   #1
chunker

Disappointing PDI

Showed up this morning to do my delivery inspection armed with flashlight, screwdrivers, checklist, creeper, ladder etc. Oh and a notebook to write down any gigs found. The tech who walked me through did a pretty good job explaining things, answering my questions and having the trailer ready for me to inspect. Nothing. Great shape. Everything worked. Looked great. Clean. The cleanest, nicest roof I've seen on an RV. All sealant/Dicor very professional smoothly applied and thoroughly. Roof material smooth and tight, no bubbles. On the creeper underside no issues although I was expecting wet bolts. Must have been the Momentum info I got that. No issues noted underneath.

Inside all electrical outlets tested good. No water leaks unless in the basement and nothing dripping. Doors square, windows smoothly opened and closed, slides smooth, all slide cables same tension. Refer was on electric when I got there and COLD. Switched to gas and fired right up. Same for water heater except hot of course. Furnace fired right up and did stink some, burnout. All air conditioners worked and cold.

The bed was wonderfully comfortable. Without a doubt the most comfortable mattress I have encountered in an RV. Well except maybe my motorhome because I swapped them. Who ever buys the motorhome will get a brand new mattress.

The transfer switch is on the forward basement storage wall not in the area behind the basement so that changes what I was planning in for the surge guard/EMS. No whole house water filter which is a disappointment. Frankly for a trailer of this caliber and price point, that should be standard so I'll add one. Gonna make the wet bay rather crowded. I'll say the wet bay switch position labeling is confusing. Labels the 3 valves as red, white, blue in the instructions. Only problem, they are all black. No red, no white, no blue, just black valve knobs. Making that clear as mud. Looks like I'll find some colored tape.

So what's the disappointment? None happily. Do I expect to find issues later down the road, of course. But the bones are good and the dealership from the owners, salesman, service department all exceptional.

My congratulations to Bama RV in Dothan, Dave and Eric the owners, CJ and Jason in service, Travis in sales. All exceptional.
2019 Harley Davidson Heritage Classic 114 (the toy)
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 06:20 PM   #2
chunker

The next day trying again with pictures

Note the new "old style" steps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6309.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	246.4 KB
ID:	25641   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6311.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	232.8 KB
ID:	25642   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6310.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	163.6 KB
ID:	25643  
Old 03-19-2020, 02:15 AM   #3
DocP

Glad to hear that your PDI went so well. Happy camping!
DocP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 02:52 AM   #4
Northofu1

Congrats. Happy trails

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 02:58 AM   #5
chunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northofu1 View Post
Congrats. Happy trails
Thanks I have the afore mentioned progressive surge guard and water filter to install as well as figuring specifically the bike chock installation. That and right now lately making sure some place is open. I was considering one of the COE or military campgrounds close by but being government, no telling if they will stay open.
Old 03-19-2020, 03:23 AM   #6
Northofu1

Good luck with that. I have a 3 week trip planned and mostly booked in June. Only campsite I haven't booked had hurricane force winds from Dorian rip through it in September and they don't know if it will be ready. Cavendish campground a loop in PEI national park had 70 to 80% of the trees ripped out. Have a site in May booked in upstate NY,,,, fingers crossed for anyone looking for sites in the somewhat near future.

Old 03-19-2020, 03:26 AM   #7
KRumm

Post some pics (outside & in)...
KRumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 03:29 AM   #8
chunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRumm View Post
Post some pics (outside & in)...
I tried posting one last night and it kept coming out upside down. I posted a question on a different section asking for help in that area. I have posting pics before, this and other forums, and haven't had issues.
Old 03-19-2020, 03:33 AM   #9
chunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northofu1 View Post
Good luck with that. I have a 3 week trip planned and mostly booked in June. Only campsite I haven't booked had hurricane force winds from Dorian rip through it in September and they don't know if it will be ready. Cavendish campground a loop in PEI national park had 70 to 80% of the trees ripped out. Have a site in May booked in upstate NY,,,, fingers crossed for anyone looking for sites in the somewhat near future.
Since your's north of the border I guess you can stay but saw that Canada has close border except essential travel and I expect tourism doesn't qualify. I expect the USA side to do much the same. Maybe by mid April things will have stabilized, but I doubt it, and we'll, on both sides of border, have some choices of campgrounds. Right now I am fighting a cold and it's pollen season in the south so motorcycle riding isn't in my highest interest. Home and hunkering.
Old 03-19-2020, 03:34 AM   #10
Northofu1

I've had that happen a couple of times, once I had to change and save in photo editor, and once I just retook pictures with phone turned 3 ways. My issue was the auto rotate on Samsung s8+

Old 03-19-2020, 03:36 AM   #11
Northofu1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker View Post
Since your's north of the border I guess you can stay but saw that Canada has close border except essential travel and I expect tourism doesn't qualify. I expect the USA side to do much the same. Maybe by mid April things will have stabilized, but I doubt it, and we'll, on both sides of border, have some choices of campgrounds. Right now I am fighting a cold and it's pollen season in the south so motorcycle riding isn't in my highest interest. Home and hunkering.
Same here, on telehealth line waiting for assistance to see if I can self quarantine, if yes I can stay home for 14 days and not need a sick note.

Old 03-19-2020, 05:26 AM   #12
skidoomatt

Thanks for sharing you good PDI experience....helps after hearing how many people have the opposite experience. Enjoy the new toy hauler!
Old 03-19-2020, 07:23 AM   #13
Camp CA

I will second your good PDI experience....enjoy the new trailer!

Had a similar good PDI experience on our new 2020 Montana 3780R in mid-January from the dealer in Pismo Beach, CA. The only item they did not show us was where the inverter was located, how to operate it and verify what 110 volt outlets and appliances , i.e., refrigerator, worked off it. However, we figured that out after some exploring. Other positives............everything works and no warranty issues after camping for 6+ weeks since mid-January and towing it for 1500 miles. Love the heat pump, washer/dryer..............
Camp CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 10:53 AM   #14
chunker

Photos finally loaded post #2.
Old 03-19-2020, 11:29 AM   #15
Logan X

Congratulations on your new trailer. It looks like a beautiful trailer!
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 12:08 PM   #16
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

And I see you got your folding steps installed. Looks nice.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 11:31 PM   #17
chunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
And I see you got your folding steps installed. Looks nice.
Yes the steps are nice and solid feeling. Unfortunately the factory didn't/couldn't/wouldn't install them so the dealer did and they did a fantastic job.
Old 03-26-2020, 09:23 AM   #18
pitman44

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker View Post
Yes the steps are nice and solid feeling. Unfortunately the factory didn't/couldn't/wouldn't install them so the dealer did and they did a fantastic job.

We have the same steps on our Montana and like them quite a bit. We looked at a new Jayco and it had what I think were called zero gravity Moryde steps. They lift up into your doorway when you stow them. The steps themselves are very nice and stable, but they have this sheet metal box by the door that I assume contains a spring or some mechanism to make them easy to put up/down. With the narrow hallways an RV has I could see myself or my wife smacking our foot into that thing. It didn't look like that box would give much.
pitman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 09:41 AM   #19
CaptnJohn

Hopefully I can install steps like those. The MorRide junk is a PIA and rivets are already rusted. They will go to the landfill if they can be changed out for the aluminum pull out like above

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 10:57 AM   #20
chunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
Hopefully I can install steps like those. The MorRide junk is a PIA and rivets are already rusted. They will go to the landfill if they can be changed out for the aluminum pull out like above
If you get down under the steps and look at the frame you may see a couple members sticking down. That is the "box" they are mounted to. To put the folding aluminum "older" steps in you would first remove the solid ones. It will require cutting the lower facia and trimming it. Probably need a couple of braces between the frame and facia edge you cut. Then install the nice newer steps in the gap. Will need a vinyl floor patch and some trim inside along the entrance. If you are not sure what this box looks like, find a toy hauler and look under the rear steps which probably are the folding style.

In my opinion, the people who like the solid steps likely don't travel much and probably stay in RV parks with everything nice and level. If you travel regularly, and stay in some less than even sites, and side space is an issue, rest areas, Walmarts etc. those solid steps will be a pain and might even trap you inside if someone parks too close. It's too bad that the manufacturers have so widely adopted them. Lots of people don't like them. Most just put up with them, some like me do something.