Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-08-2020, 05:10 AM   #1
chunker

Cable slide mechanism

EDIT ADDING; not sure if this is the best section here for this thread so if the mods want to move it to the appropriate section, feel free, thanks.

I have had slides, electric and/or hydraulic with gear track on the side, under floor, in floor, flush floor, etc. But never had the cable slide mechanism. Right off the bat I have questions about reliability, maintenance, periodic adjustments, issues to be aware of, etc. Some slides say don't stop part ways out or they could go "out of sync". Well the slides don't say it but people do. The Raptor 356 on order has the cable mechanisms and in my mode that method, where I can control an individual single slide, will work well. On some stops while enroute across country, I may be in areas that I can't safely extend a slide all the way so partial extension may be my only option. Example is the left kitchen slide to access the refer and microwave to get something to eat/drink.

Can these type slides be used when retracted or partially extended? Example extending or using the right living area slide with the recliners to relax while stopped. Some, my previous Raptor 300MP for example, had a warning NOT to get in the slide unless fully extended. I can understand that to a point since partially extended it's not fully supported and the edges specifically are vulnerable. I'm not talking about jumping up and down in it but sitting quietly and being careful around the edges, inside unsupported edge in particular.

Reference maintenance and adjustments, I have read on here and other forums about loose cables, etc. How often typically do the cables need adjusting and is the inspection and adjustment clearly (ha ha) addressed in the owner's manual or any other document provided?
2019 Harley Davidson Heritage Classic 114 (the toy)
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 05:42 AM   #2
LewisB

We are in exactly the same boat with our new Raptor 353TS. Thanks for asking the questions! I too will watch for answers.
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 06:29 AM   #3
busterbrown

Our Bullet is equipped with 2 BAL accuslides from Norco Industries. When I purchased my coach, the dealer (service mgr) explicitly told be to avoid any significant weight in the slide while retracted and while extending. He told me that the slide out is designed to only support the weight in its fully extended position. He confirmed that by offering me all the service requests for the slide failures from owners doing the opposite.

Suffice it to say, we stay off the slides until fully deployed. We're in our 4th season with our coach without slide issues. (knock on wood).
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 07:58 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

For those new to cable slides here is a handy reference. I have it printed, in a folder and it goes with me in the trailer;

https://norcoind.com/bal/downloads/a...ice-manual.pdf

I've never had an issue with them in the last several years - that is the CABLE/PULLEY portion. I have had tremendous problems with the Darco fabric on the bottom dragging/fraying on the "wear" bar underneath the slide. Keep a very close eye on it. Various remedies have been discussed on here and I will be employing one of them on this new trailer before it becomes a serious issue.

As far as partial extension of a slide and useage; I was told up front to either pull it in or put it out completely to use it and we do. I have had to partially extend one once or twice to do something urgent and it did seem to "rock" or teeter in a manner that didn't seem right. Could have been my imagination but I tend to think not. As far as things to eat or drink during a trip we either eat/drink at some stop or carry items and small cooler in the truck.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 01:13 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

I "think" (can't prove) that any slide "should be fully extended/fully retracted" with every movement. It's more to allow enough slide movement to allow the seals to turn in the proper direction than it is to "keep the slide mechanism in alignment... I've found (for what it's worth) that if you extend the slide only a couple inches, then retract it, the slide seals will "jam, partially turned but not fully turned". It's the same with an extended slide. Pull it in a few inches, then extend it, the slide seals won't have enough "friction/movement" to fully flip to the proper position. If you "immediately fully extend/retract the slide, the seals are "soft enough to reset"..

But: If you store it for any length of time with the seals "part in/part out", they will deform (sometimes permanently) and that leads to "uneven, jerking movement and twisting, especially with cable slides that really "are only hanging by 4 cables in their hole"....

I have always "heard" not to partly extend/retract a slide, but nobody has ever told me "why you shouldn't".... The above is "my theory" and all I've ever found on "why not".... YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 01:49 PM   #6
Northofu1

I had to adjust the dinette/sofa slide. I extended mine fully, so much easier to access the cable adjuster/ tensioners. My issue was the dinette table was marking the island when fully retracted. As long as you follow the directions, use the tools they suggest it isn't that hard. I have the same manual as Danny and also keep a copy of it handy.
2 tips.
Have someone on the outside measuring the change in distance of the end / corner you need to adjust.
When you pull the access trim off it's most likely that they are stapled, nip off all the staples. Purchase some screw caps and a #6 x 1-1/4" to 1-1/2". I used a level and measured the distance to evenly space them. The caps can be painted to match. I didn't need to, the caramel colour kind of matched and looked like they belonged. assembled it and it's good. I figured starting with smaller screws would allow me to use larger diameter screws as needed after future removals.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 03:48 PM   #7
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterbrown View Post
Our Bullet is equipped with 2 BAL accuslides from Norco Industries. When I purchased my coach, the dealer (service mgr) explicitly told be to avoid any significant weight in the slide while retracted and while extending. He told me that the slide out is designed to only support the weight in its fully extended position.
Ouch! That is complete news to us!

We often stop in an interstate rest area to make a sandwich for lunch and immediately get back on the road, meaning that we sit in the dinette while fully retracted. I never would have dreamed there was a support issue in that position.
Old 03-08-2020, 03:56 PM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
Ouch! That is complete news to us!

We often stop in an interstate rest area to make a sandwich for lunch and immediately get back on the road, meaning that we sit in the dinette while fully retracted. I never would have dreamed there was a support issue in that position.
I was told the same thing when we bought our trailer. No weight on the slide outs unless fully extended.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 04:00 PM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

Cable slide mechanism

If you partially extend or retract a Schwintec slide, the motors get out of synch and the room starts to move unevenly (we call it caddywampus). Same applies to the power gear slide mechanism. There is a specific procedure to re synch both slide mechanisms.

If you look at the floor on many of the hydraulic or electric “through frame” slides you’ll notice it sits up OFF the main floor. We advise customers not to use that slide unless fully extended, as the floor is not supported and it’s made of particle board. I have been involved in replacing floor because they “cracked” from being walked on.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 04:19 PM   #10
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
If you partially extend or retract a Schwintec slide, the motors get out of synch and the room starts to move unevenly (we call it caddywampus). Same applies to the power gear slide mechanism. There is a specific procedure to re synch both slide mechanisms.
That concerns me. My slide operates solely from the inCommand screen. That screen is not particularly touch-friendly. In an average slide extension or retraction operation, it "sees" my finger slide off the tiny icon button two or three times before the operation is complete. Is this going to cause me a problem?

Is the resync procedure something an owner could do?

Quote:
If you look at the floor on many of the hydraulic or electric “through frame” slides you’ll notice it sits up OFF the main floor. We advise customers not to use that slide unless fully extended, as the floor is not supported and it’s made of particle board. I have been involved in replacing floor because they “cracked” from being walked on.
I don't understand this. When the slide is fully extended, there's nothing under the slide floor at all except open space, so how would it be any weaker when retracted?
Old 03-08-2020, 04:32 PM   #11
chuckster57
Site Team

There is a simple way to re synch the schwintec system. If you fully extend the slide, the front edge of the slide is resting on the main floor and not subject to “bowing” when you walk on it.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 05:50 PM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
I don't understand this. When the slide is fully extended, there's nothing under the slide floor at all except open space, so how would it be any weaker when retracted?
When the slide is retracted, the floor sits about 1.5" above the main coach floor. If you step on it, your weight forces the slide down toward the main coach floor. That puts "pulling force" on the ends of the slide floor where it's attached to the slide sidewalls. You can pull the sidewall/floor attachment apart, destroying your slide and you can split, crack the floor where you step on it.

If you step on the slide floor "at the ends" where it attaches to the sidewall, you can literally "rip the floor away from the sidewalls.

When the slide is fully extended, the "front edge" sits physically on the main coach floor, so it won't bow, won't pull on the slide edges and won't put force on the sidewalls if you step on the slide floor close to the sidewalls.

It's a matter of the slide floor "isn't properly braced or supported" when the slide is retracted. I hope this makes sense rather than making it "clear as mud"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-09-2020, 07:30 AM   #13
MarkEHansen

Quote:
That concerns me. My slide operates solely from the inCommand screen. That screen is not particularly touch-friendly. In an average slide extension or retraction operation, it "sees" my finger slide off the tiny icon button two or three times before the operation is complete. Is this going to cause me a problem?

Is the resync procedure something an owner could do?

@LHaven - our trailers use the BAL slide...
Old 03-09-2020, 08:50 AM   #14
chunker

Quote:

Have you seen any info about a slide weight limit? I have sat on the couch with a slide in but I weigh about 180# and don't bounce around. I also do not step or put weight on the edge because you can definitely see it's not supported. So far no issue with any RV but then again I am careful. I'll agree that the use can be an issue so plans are to limit time doing that. If the slide with a couch is fully in, is it supported better than a partial out? Are cable slides more prone to these issues over say an under floor or in frame electric or hydraulic?

Thanks
2019 Harley Davidson Heritage Classic 114 (the toy)
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 09:21 AM   #15
LewisB

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
For those new to cable slides here is a handy reference. I have it printed, in a folder and it goes with me in the trailer;

https://norcoind.com/bal/downloads/a...ice-manual.pdf
This is a great resource - THANKS! I looked through all my paperwork and the sales data for our 2018 Raptor and could not find any mention of the brand of the slide out mechanisms. One of the things that popped up was a "chat" box with Keystone Customer Service. So, just for grins, I opened a chat, submitted my VIN number and asked about information on the slides for my trailer. Within about 10 seconds (yes, really!), she said "You have BAL Accuslides - would you like me to send you the manual?" Yes was the answer - I gave her my email address and had it in about another 20 seconds! I was shocked!

Thanks to the forum, sourdough, and Keystone Customer Service! With all the bad press Keystone sometimes gets on the forum, I thought this excellent service was noteworthy!
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 12:16 PM   #16
FlyingAroundRV

If you're not supposed to have weight in a slide when it's retracted, how does that square with those slides that have the full kitchen in them including refer, oven, etc?
I've looked at those trailers with all that weight in those extra wide slides and wondered how they would stand up.
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 01:13 PM   #17
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingAroundRV View Post
If you're not supposed to have weight in a slide when it's retracted, how does that square with those slides that have the full kitchen in them including refer, oven, etc?
I've looked at those trailers with all that weight in those extra wide slides and wondered how they would stand up.
Probably a difference in how they're built, engineering and weight distribution with "static attached cabinets fastened to the walls and supporting the floor" vs "people walking on the floor with no "support from the walls."

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-09-2020, 01:32 PM   #18
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkEHansen View Post
@LHaven - our trailers use the BAL slide...
That's good news, unless BAL has the same caveat for its slides.

I found the service manual online, but it doesn't address do's and don'ts. I haven't found anything like an owner's manual online, and I didn't get one with the trailer.
Old 03-09-2020, 03:06 PM   #19
MarkEHansen

Well, I was told not to step in the slide unless it is fully extended. I've decided that I can sit in the chairs (carefully) while it is fully retracted, but I'm gentle. However, I don't ever put any weight in the slide while it is partially extended. It's either all in or all out.

When I watch the slide go in or out, I watch the seals and you can really see that you don't want to go half way and reverse direction. It's okay if you stop once or more while bringing it in or out, as you're not changing directions and so not interfering with the folds of the seals.
Old 03-09-2020, 05:24 PM   #20
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
That's good news, unless BAL has the same caveat for its slides.

I found the service manual online, but it doesn't address do's and don'ts. I haven't found anything like an owner's manual online, and I didn't get one with the trailer.
Item #9 in the Keystone Owner's Manual, 2019 version, page 65:
9. DO NOT step on the floor of the slide out when the room is retracted. The slide out floor is not supported by the main floor and stepping on the floor may cause structural damage to the slide room.
If you don't have a copy of the Keystone Owner's Manual, you can download it here: https://www.keystonerv.com/owners/owners-manuals/ Just choose the manual that's closest to the year of manufacture of your trailer.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS

Tags
cable, slide