Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-13-2020, 09:30 AM   #41
LewisB

Best Reason for Backup Camera is...

In post #29, George wrote, "...and having my missus stand behind the trailer with her arms flailing crazy circles (turn your wheel this way or that) and yelling at me would be fatal to my 49 year marriage...".

I'm still sitting here chuckling - knowing from experience exactly what he is saying! He's hit the nail on the head for the very best reason to own a backup camera - ENTERTAINMENT! ha-ha

Our new Raptor came with a WiFi camera that is "sort of" useful as discussed by others. The DW and I now use little hand-held radios when backing up. Unfortunately, this has nearly destroyed a really good source of entertainment. Sigh, I guess progress in technology isn't always to our benefit...
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 09:32 AM   #42
Lawdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
My system is an RVS wired camera system. There is NO interference, NO loss of signal, NO blackouts/blank screen. That said, the camera is invaluable for knowing what's behind the trailer. We do "triple tow" nearly all the time, with either the boat or the slingshot on a trailer behind the fifth wheel, the ONLY thing I can see in the truck side mirrors is an "occasional tire/fender" during turns. It's extremely comforting to know the cover is on the boat or the slingshot, that nothing is loose, that both tires are still "rolling not bouncing" as we tow. If you've ever triple towed, you know that there's no way to know if you have a "blowout on the fifth wheel" and it's even more difficult to "know what's happening" on a second trailer. So, a rear camera is a "must for me" when triple towing.

That doesn't even approach the subject of knowing what's behind me and beside me when changing lanes or passing a slower vehicle. When I pass someone, I "KNOW" that if I can see them in the rear camera view, they are BEHIND the trailer, there's no "watching the passenger side mirror and judging by shadows or flashing lights" whether I've got clearance to merge back into the right lane.

As for glare: The only glare I get is sun glare or at night, glare from street lights, security lights around the parking pad. That "bit of glare" is more than enough to "confuse my old eyes" so I prefer a spotter over "guessing there's nothing I don't see in the monitor" when backing my trailer.

My "one shot with a wireless system" was a dismal failure, I then bought the RVS wired system and have had no problems in 10 years of using the same camera/monitor/wiring. If it was up to me, I'd always opt for a WIRED camera system over a wireless system. After 10 years of using this one on 3 trucks and 2 trailers, for me, it just seems "reasonable that wired systems are more functional" That said, if I were buying a system, I'd want to get the "latest and greatest version" not the "easiest for the serviceman to install".... YMMV
Agreed with all of this. I installed an RVS wired system on the back of my fiver because I double tow on most trips, with a lot of $$$ in ATVs and UTV back there. The camera and screen was under $400 and I installed it myself in about 6 hours, taking my time. I had a buddy who is very handy help me and it was really pretty easy.

It helps backing up a little, but mostly I want to see what's going on back there as I go down the road.

RAM 3500 Cummins HO
2016 Cougar X-Lite 28RDB
Kawasaki Teryx 4 LE
Lawdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 09:34 AM   #43
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Danny, so far from what I've read I can tell you 3 things with confidence.

1. You don't don't know if you "need it" or "want it" if you don't have it or have seen it first hand and experienced driving/backing with it.

2. Worth the money or not. This is so individualized that some would say it's worth the $1,000+ they paid for it and others will say it isn't worth a dime. Sort of like dining out, some say anything more than a Big Mac isn't worth it while other's say they only will buy a steak at Ruth Chris or Morton's.

3. Everybody is "right", at least in their opinion.

Yes, you are right. I knew it is a very subjective thing but wanted to get a feel to see if it was a resounding yes or no on their use. Sounds like it's like most other things. The quoted price to me was 697 if I recall and think that was only 1 camera. Not astronomical but not cheap either. I've never thought I needed one and have always been comfortable towing as well as watching what was coming up behind me etc. Sounds like it would be one more "gizmo" to stick up on the dash beside my TPMS and on top of that new 12" (humongous) center screen that has so much stuff on it I can't keep track of it anyway. Much like the "you don't know what you don't know" saying or "you don't know if you want it or not until you try it", I figure the benefit of the camera would fall into both categories. Now, to figure out if I want to spend 700+ to find out, then put it on the shelf in the barn with all the other gizmos that didn't work out if I don't.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 10:03 AM   #44
Brantlyj

Is the new trailer not prewired for a wireless camera? Mine is for a voyager camera system. Their kit is about $300.

With my Alpine head unit it has a second camera input. Voyager makes a receiver so I can plug right into that so no extra monitor on the dash. The head unit will also superimpose the colored guide lines. So all I have to do is put cones where the colors change, measure and then when backing up I will now know the distance based on the colored guidelines. If your truck does not have a front camera you might have the connections on your stock display that you can tap into.

With all that said does no one make a RV backup cam with the guide lines? Seems to me a no brainer as they would give a good frame of reference for distance behind the rv if you do the steps I mentioned above.
Brantlyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 10:13 AM   #45
Uneasyrider

I have the Furion 3 camera system and it works perfectly on the back of my Montana. It’s wireless. I don’t drive a truck for a living and am only an adequate “parker” so I love having the cameras.
Uneasyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 10:38 AM   #46
LV_Tom

A slight caution using it to back into a camping space. One member of our RV club had his wife back him into a space. At ground level he had about 6 more feet to back up...unfortunately she didn't look up to see the 3" thick branch that was one foot away from the top of the trailer and he did some serious damage to the top of his trailer. My point being make sure your camera gives you a full view of the rear area showing all obstructions before using it to back up.

2011 Cougar 27RLSWE
2017 F-250 6.2L Gas
LV_Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 10:39 AM   #47
slow

Benefit of Rear Camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
We are having a new HC outfitted with what we think we need. What do folks think of having a camera at the rear of the trailer? Is it useful? Does it help backing into a situation? I've read lots of posts about how beneficial it is to use while driving or pulling back into your lane after passing...but I have that down I think. After many years of backing into "unknown" spots I've learned to use my mirrors, judgement and DW in the back with a cell. The camera seems like it might be beneficial but from the comments I've read on this forum and others it seems like it doesn't really work that way and the detail doesn't really help. Thoughts/comments on the usefulness of these would be helpful and appreciated. I've seen there are just single backup cameras and multiple; any benefit to either? Thanks.

My take on rear cameras having had a true observation camera with a 30 degree viewing angle on my previous trailer and now a Furrion backup camera with a 180+ (?) view angle on our current FW:

The observation camera at the back of the TT was great to replicate what would be seen without a trailer behind you looking at the rear view mirror. But it was useless as a backup camera or viewing a bike rack on the rear of the TT. Anything closer than 10 feet behind the trailer was magnified too much.

The FW’s backup camera is only good to verify no one is immediately behind the FW and to watch the bike rack. Since the camera cannot be tilted up enough and since the image is so small, it is useless in observing anything in the distance.

Having a camera with both the narrow and wide field of view as selectable options would be ideal IMO. The only current option would be to use the two cameras, one wide and one narrow view with some way of switching between them. That may be next season’s project for me.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 10:42 AM   #48
DOWva

I agree a camera is helpful, however depth perception is off some so be careful.

Doug & Diane * Richmond,VA
2014 Keystone Cougar
M-315 High Country 5th Wheel
2014 RAM 2500 Laramie 392 Hemi

AirLifts
DOWva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 10:47 AM   #49
rodgebone

cost vs benefit a camera is worth it IMO. ANY extra "input" is always helpful...then again i do not have a DW to assist. sometimes i find it very useful both when backing up AND towing - other times it might as well not be there. but im glad to have it regardless. wish i had a second camera for the blind sides when swinging in and out of a spot and another to check my slideout top for debris before retracting (i dont have an attached ladder and digging my folding ladder out of storage can be a pain)
Old 02-13-2020, 10:57 AM   #50
flybouy
Site Team

How long before someone jumps on the RV industry and programs a drone to follow you back into the parking spot and warns you about obstructions? Seems to me like with the "auto pilot" drones now available it shouldn't take too much programing.
https://www.dronezon.com/drone-revie...rdable-prices/
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 12:35 PM   #51
Preyou

To me a lot depends on your experience. I got a Furrion when I got my first 5er. It helped me with passing and pulling back in lane with confidence I was not cutting off the guy behind me. My 5er is a 36 ft. I don't normally use it for backing but I have in a pinch--DW was asleep and you don't wake her up.
Preyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 12:36 PM   #52
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brantlyj View Post
With all that said does no one make a RV backup cam with the guide lines? Seems to me a no brainer as they would give a good frame of reference for distance behind the rv if you do the steps I mentioned above.
The Rear View Safety RV quick disconnect camera system (the one I have) has grid lines superimposed on the monitor. I've got them turned off, I don't use the system for backing anyway, so they "just get in the way" with the way I use the system. They are there, easy to see, just not "for me".

So, to answer your question, yes, RVS makes a backup cam with guide lines... In fact, most of their wired and wireless systems have grid lines

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 01:02 PM   #53
Nitram987

Reduce the Risk

Backup camera while towing? - absolutely for me. Last year, while towing through South Dakota and making a signaled fast-rolling left hand turn into a rest area, I could not see that a sports car had barreled down on us at a high speed from behind with plans to pass us. He hit the left hand shoulder (grass and mud literally flying) as I caught a last second glimpse of him in my trailer mirror. I quickly abandoned the turn and swerved back into our lane to avoid a collision. It was a VERY close call... and I pull a relatively agile and stable 19 foot travel trailer with WDH/sway control. It could have been a very different story.

Our new backup camera, always ON now while towing, takes away that scenario.
Nitram987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 02:55 PM   #54
rhaney

Back up camera

Isn't that why you have Wifie with you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
We are having a new HC outfitted with what we think we need. What do folks think of having a camera at the rear of the trailer? Is it useful? Does it help backing into a situation? I've read lots of posts about how beneficial it is to use while driving or pulling back into your lane after passing...but I have that down I think. After many years of backing into "unknown" spots I've learned to use my mirrors, judgement and DW in the back with a cell. The camera seems like it might be beneficial but from the comments I've read on this forum and others it seems like it doesn't really work that way and the detail doesn't really help. Thoughts/comments on the usefulness of these would be helpful and appreciated. I've seen there are just single backup cameras and multiple; any benefit to either? Thanks.
rhaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 03:10 PM   #55
Gunny Mike

We had the camera put on when we bought our Outback TT and thought it would be used for backing up. I use it constantly when passing and seeing if a semi is going to pass to my left. I also use it to peek in on my generator that's on the rear bumper rack too. Highly recommended!
Gunny Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 03:18 PM   #56
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhaney View Post
Isn't that why you have Wifie with you?
You hit the nail on the head!! Talked to the salesman a bit ago discussing what they offered etc. vs the information from this thread. I talked to DW and discussed it with her.....

Used to be just standing back there and "waving" was really frustrating for both of us. Then I bought walkie talkies; better but still have to pick up the little handset and mess with it. Now we have cells and I talk to her over the handsfree in the truck - perfect. As we decided; every time I get into a tight spot she's back there helping. I've never been able to understand what all those little hand gestures (well some ) and arm waving meant....I could never tell if she was trying to emulate the sign language from a baseball coach or Cheetah from Tarzan! Whatever, it has always been a hoot and we laugh about it afterwards (after the boiling has subsided!). Told the sales guy to hold off on getting any kind of rear camera until I had a while to see if it was warranted.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 03:24 PM   #57
Preyou

very observant
Preyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 04:09 PM   #58
wiredgeorge

Have to admit a few months ago to backing into my parking spot and not being able to see enough with my trailer mirrors due to the very sharp angle I ran over a 12' cactus; The majority of the thing is about 18" above the ground and there is a real tall stalk that looks like a walking cane with some seed stuff on top. Dented my coke-can metal back by the rear stab-jack. It pounded back out easy enough but I had to drag the big ol' cactus corpse off into the brush. Wouldn't have happened if the new rear camera had been installed and that is what prompted me.

I have been backing up very poorly for years and not a lot better today. My wife and I agree she needs to be somewhere else during my backing fiascos as a laughing witness doesn't aid the process. I have a big rig trucker buddy named Roy back into spaces with inches on each side and not hit what was on the end. I ain't Roy. When I was a volunteer fireman many years in the past, we had to drive down a diminishing runway marked by cones and then stop the firetruck prior to the cones situated at the end which were not visible... had to get within 6" to pass... lucky they didn't make me buy the cones I assassinated.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 04:42 PM   #59
Retired Copper

I like having it; it is just another safety devise, it does not replace " The get out and Look." I sometimes tow ahead of the wife joining me. I like knowing if someone has come up running up behind me before changing lanes . Backing up it saves me at least one getting out of the truck. If it quit working today I will replace it.
Equalizer 4 pt.
Retired Copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 07:17 PM   #60
Larrystegall

I vote Yes

Added the Furrion to my 2017 359MBI 2 years ago. Got the one designed for travel (not just a backup camera). Had the prep kit so it took about 5 minutes to install. I mount the receiver screen on my rear view mirror for travel, so looking is natural. It is great for backing up, has the "bars" on the back and you can easily learn how many feet each one is from an object. I can back up to anything within 6 inches and be safe (not that I do very often, but I CAN). With the bike rack down trailer is 42' kingpin to tail, have a perfect picture all the time. Just have to have the lights on, it does not work with the DRL's (2016 Silverado 2500HD). I understand there are kits to make it work with the DRL's, but more lights are easier to see anyway.
Larrystegall is offline   Reply With Quote