Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 01-23-2020, 06:47 AM   #21
flybouy
Site Team

For the OP, no one decided to "get their jollies" by stating what many people (including myself) feel is obvious. We see these posts over and over where someone will get caught up in the "sales pitch" and the "glitz" and end up with a marginal set up at best. Typically they are asking how to modify the truck to make the towing experience better.

I'll just point out this statement.."This config drives like a dream compared to our first pull behind which was a 2 hands on drive ALL the time." Point is we don't don't know what we don't know. You don't know what the difference would be towing with a 3/4 ton. As for the nonavailability of the hitch .. it's a good idea anytime you purchase any new or greatly altered product that you are looking to accessorize to do the due diligence before making the purchase as to the availability of the accessory. Often there is a delay in the manufacture of said accessories until the market reflects a suitable demand.

I'm not going to argue with you as it's obvious that you have made up your mind several times and that you are going to tow your trailer with a 1/2 ton truck. I wish you many happy and safe travels, and thank you for passing on the information regarding the hitch.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 07:21 AM   #22
cougarpelt

thanks flybouy, Your name implies that you have had similar life experiences … I flew A-7s, A-4s, F-18s, C-1s and C12s for the Navy for 22 years beginning in Viet Nam in 1971 with 33 missions in that war that our government lost. Then I flew for PanAm for 3 years until they folded. then air ambulances in Lear jets for 2 years before I decided that I had pressed my luck far enough and quit flying for good. My youngest son is following my career path … 20 years flyinig F-18s for the Marines (to spite me) and now is flying 737s for Delta. I fly vicariously through him as he relates his experiences in the cockpit. Watch "angle of attack" on Amazon prime to see a great documentary on Naval Aviation! A statement I heard for the first time in that film is: "The last Naval Aviator has probably already been born!" Aircraft are being flown by "GAMERS" as more and more aircraft are remotely controlled. I wonder if we will live long enough to see airliners remotely flown by gamers??!!
cougarpelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 08:12 AM   #23
travelin texans

Have you contacted B&W hitches? I had their Companion hitch & it was great as was their customer service! Not sure if they have anything for your situation yet, but all it cost is phone call.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 09:39 AM   #24
cougarpelt

Thank you travelin Texans, When I called up B&W website it showed me that Camping World uses their products. they have a kit but the rails and adapter come as a set for the 2019. I confirmed through my chevy dealership that the 2019 and the 2020 frames are the same with the same predrilled holes for these adapters. Camping world still wants to get the part and hold it up to the frame to make sure that the kingpin will be over the axel BEFORE they drill any holes. SMART MEN! THERE IS LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, THANKS TO YOU. I appreciate men who share helpful info like you did; this forum could use more of you as you are an asset to the camping community!.
smooth seas and following winds to you and yours
Old 01-23-2020, 10:47 AM   #25
cougarpelt

really I take what ever is thrown at me … I am old enough now that I realize that no matter who you are, what you are, where you came from, who you know, …. when you open your mouth, there will ALWAYS be people who will have to says things that help them remain confident that they know more than you; that they are so much smarter than anyone (which is to say that you are dumber than them). In short, that side with and agree 110% with my x-wife when she walked out 27 year ago.
We ARE different from each other ( if everyone was the same what a boring world that would be). I accept that, and try to let people be the way they want to be without trying to even think that they should be the same as me. The only advice I give is to my sons WHEN THEY ASK (and the never ask anymore). Most people learn get along with each other despite their differences. I can only control my response as I thank them for sharing their differences. I'm not in competition with anyone any more; war (the ultimate competition) took that out of me for the most part. Its OK for everyone to act smarter than me; doesn't hurt me unless I let it; and I let it less and less with every year I live.
Old 01-23-2020, 01:34 PM   #26
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarpelt View Post
Thank you JRTJH for your information. As for the other comments, I will agree with you all that I am stupid if that is how you get your jollies in this forum. I have been pulling my 5th wheel with the 5'10" bed in a 2012 ford and then a 2015 chevy. Very very stupid OK.
My reason for posting was to see if anyone knew a supplier that has the kit I need to get back to my Weekend RV camping? I have exhausted my contacts; both my RV dealership and Chevy truck dealership have found that Reese and Curt are "planning" to provide one "soon". but no date. It looks like I will be taking a vacation from my 5th wheel camping for some unknown period of time.
Hopefully, you guys can help me spread the word that IF your looking to pull a 5th wheel with a 2020 GM 1500, then you need to look for their NEWEST length … 6'10" bed; which I find was added to the GM bed lengths in 2019 and was immediately supported by the hitch adapter manufacturers. I can only WAIT!
But in the meantime, I am completely open for all the criticism that I am due cause I have known for a long time that I am stupid; my x-wife made that perfectly clear 27 years ago.

cougarpelt, I don't think anyone thinks you're stupid or gets their jollies by voicing their concerns. Many, many on this forum have gone through the painful route of having more trailer than the truck can handle and paid that price. You seem happy with your 1/2 ton and 5th wheel. Without knowing weights who knows if you're safe or not....only you. I do know, no matter what, you should look at the max load those tires are rated for (about 2700 I'm thinking) and honestly assess if you need a heavier tire; whether you've done it in the past or not. A blowout on a 1/2 ton TV pulling a 10k trailer at highway speed will make a blowout on the RV seem meaningless. Not preaching, not thinking you're stupid or getting jollies.....just concerned and making suggestions you can either use as food for thought or not.
As far as a hitch sounds like you may have come across something. I will say I have been in the same predicament of buying a new vehicle in the first year (SUV) then finding it very difficult to get accessories for it. It's unfortunate your dealership wasn't aware.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 04:09 PM   #27
Firewall

Quote:
thanks flybouy, Your name implies that you have had similar life experiences … I flew A-7s, A-4s, F-18s, C-1s and C12s for the Navy for 22 years beginning in Viet Nam in 1971 with 33 missions in that war that our government lost. Then I flew for PanAm for 3 years until they folded. then air ambulances in Lear jets for 2 years before I decided that I had pressed my luck far enough and quit flying for good. My youngest son is following my career path … 20 years flyinig F-18s for the Marines (to spite me) and now is flying 737s for Delta. I fly vicariously through him as he relates his experiences in the cockpit. Watch "angle of attack" on Amazon prime to see a great documentary on Naval Aviation! A statement I heard for the first time in that film is: "The last Naval Aviator has probably already been born!" Aircraft are being flown by "GAMERS" as more and more aircraft are remotely controlled. I wonder if we will live long enough to see airliners remotely flown by gamers??!!
That's awesome, thank you for your service! And tell your son I want a ride!
Firewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 06:22 PM   #28
CedarCreekWoody

Quote:
Thank you travelin Texans, When I called up B&W website it showed me that Camping World uses their products. they have a kit but the rails and adapter come as a set for the 2019. I confirmed through my chevy dealership that the 2019 and the 2020 frames are the same with the same predrilled holes for these adapters. Camping world still wants to get the part and hold it up to the frame to make sure that the kingpin will be over the axel BEFORE they drill any holes. SMART MEN! THERE IS LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, THANKS TO YOU. I appreciate men who share helpful info like you did; this forum could use more of you as you are an asset to the camping community!.
smooth seas and following winds to you and yours
I just had a B&W turnover ball installed on my 2019 Ram. The 2019 requires a different adapter than previous years but fortunately there had been enough time for it to be developed. Hopefully the earlier model adapter will work for you when they do the compare. The hole locations are critical!
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 08:29 PM   #29
Old Mustanger

I was on the PullRite sight today and on their home page they had an add stating that they have kits available for the 2020 GM trucks. Don't know if they would fit your bed but may be worth looking into.
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 08:44 AM   #30
Rosendale

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Up until the 2020 GM towing guide, there was a footnote on the "short bed 1500 specs" that said something like, "GM doesn't recommend towing a fifth wheel/gooseneck with this vehicle"... They did provide ratings for the "standard bed 1500.

I'd be curious whether GM and the aftermarket will even provide a "underbed kit" for fifth wheel hitches in the 5'10" bed. They (the aftermarket hitch companies) didn't support the Ford F150 short bed (5'7") for about 3 or 4 years after that bed configuration was on the market. They did support the 6' 5" bed shortly after introduction.
Exactly, they likely don't recommend towing a fifth wheel/gooseneck and have made it impossible to hook up, JMHO

GMC 1500 Sierra
Hideout 21FQWE
Rosendale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 08:51 AM   #31
penra

Someone on the MOC FB posted a similar complaint about a 2020 GMC. I think they got a hitch from B&W that fit but they were hair on fire until they found it. Unreal that the makers just change up without regard for hitches!
penra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 11:29 AM   #32
Logan X

Maybe GM thinks it’s a bad idea to tow a fifth wheel with a half ton shortbed and that’s why they designed the truck so a fifth wheel hitch wouldn’t work with it.
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 11:37 AM   #33
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan X View Post
Maybe GM thinks it’s a bad idea to tow a fifth wheel with a half ton shortbed and that’s why they designed the truck so a fifth wheel hitch wouldn’t work with it.
In years past, they simply did not "certify" the truck with towing numbers for fifth wheel towing in their charts. In a footnote, they stated something along the line of, "GM doesn't recommend fifth wheel towing with this vehicle". The aftermarket companies continued to provide kits to install a fifth wheel hitch for someone who wished to tow "even though it wasn't in the charts"....

It seems that with the change in frame configuration, the older aftermarket components won't fit and the aftermarket guys haven't yet caught up with "parts to do it anyway"...

As for GM, I'd guess (guess in emphasis) that the reason GM didn't coordinate fifth wheel towing components with aftermarket suppliers is because they "don't get into coordinating what they don't approve".... That goes along with the charts that still don't list fifth wheel capacities on trucks they don't approve or recommend for fifth wheel towing. People will still do it, but GM hasn't coordinated products to "make it easy to do".... Probably by intentional decisions, not by accidental overlook of a need.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 11:43 AM   #34
LV_Tom

CougarPelt... Make sure that the swing radius of the 5th wheel front won't hit the rear truck window and break it. There's been many 5th wheel overhangs that have broken that window. Two in our RV Club alone
LV_Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 02:31 PM   #35
Pete54401

I'm not going to call you stupid. GM is not at fault and I'm a Ford guy. My issue is with trailer manufacturers who label products "1/2-ton towable" and trailer and truck salespeople who will say, "no problem". Personally, I would never tow a 5th wheel with any half ton though there are some with "HD Payload Packages" which may be OK. At issue is a math problem... Your 9,000 lb GVWR should, if properly loaded, will yield a payload in the truck of about 2,200 lbs. Some of the previous replies list your trucks payload capacity but the reality is you can these days find it listed on the GVW informational decal in your front door jamb. I'm my mind you are too close to the limit unless your are doing very short hauls on a very infrequent basis. The next question then is GCWR. The total of your loaded truck and loaded trailer (best to put the whole thing on a scale so you know exactly) should not exceed this number which GM will have published for your Cab style and drivetrain combo and my guess is at 9,000 lbs you should have room to spare in that category. Finally, and I think it was mentioned earlier is tires. No to the 4 ply that likely came on the truck as you need a heavier tire. Good luck with all and hopefully a hitch will soon be available.
Pete54401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 04:08 PM   #36
goducks

5th wheel hitch MFG's aren't going to make a hitch that goes against the truck MFG recommendations.
Not sure about the legality's but I'm guessing there may be some. Also it could easily be a marketing thing. Since GM says NO to 5ers with the short bed then the 5th hitch MFG probably figures most all 1500 SB owners would see that and not buy the truck with a 5th wheel in mind.
Hard to go into production and just make a very small amount of something and be profitable.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 05:06 PM   #37
cougarpelt

Thanks to suggestion by Travelin Texans, I was able to find that Camping World/Gander world of Dothan, AL has a distributor who offered B&W hitch adapter kits; they ordered and today they installed the kit in my 2020 1500 Silverado 5'10" (short bed) truck. (I have a "Sidewinder" installed on my trailer so I don't have issues with trailer hitting cab in tight turns; its and expensive way to go but back in 2012 when I got my first 5th wheel in a short bed Ford 150, it was the only one offered to me by RV Connections of Panama City, FL.)
The installation for the 2019 B&W kit was listed for 4 hours labor which they drew up a contract for me to sign prior to starting; HOWEVER, the 2020, even though the kit fits, required extra work cause the 2020 gas tank in in the way to thread the nuts on the driver's side adapter, SO they had to lower the tank, thread the nuts on and then raise the tank back up. LOTS of extra time (6.5 hours today) because there was a lot of head scratching before deciding that the tank had to be removed; Also, the B&W kit has center bolts that just fasten to the bed to prevent vibration noise; these nuts are VERY hard to thread because both of them come down in an area covered by heat shields; some companies simply cut off the heat shields but the general manager of this company would not let them destroy or cut off any part of this truck; instead required them to take the time to thread the nuts using long needle nose pliers which is a hit and miss job that takes lots of tries before getting it just right.
BUT the B&W KIT does fit and I am back in the 5th wheel hauling business!
I think that goose neck adapter kits may be replacing the king pin systems; you can get the ball installed at the factory now for the 2500 and the 3500 but NOT yet for the 1500; probably because of the weight of MOST 5th wheels these days and the NEED to have a slider or a sidewinder system which are MORE expensive and weigh more in the tongue area of the trailer; something I special purchase 10 ply tires to compensate for; tongue weights of 1400+lbs on 4 ply tires always worried me.
As has been driven home by some contributors, using a 1/2 ton pickup to pull a 5th wheel is not acceptable to lots of people but it works for me in the flat lands of Alabama .
Old 02-01-2020, 11:00 AM   #38
pdaniel

Quote:
You’re towing a 16k fifth wheel with a half ton short bed truck?
I watch the advertisements for Ford and Chevy/GMC in which they would have us believe a 1/2 ton pickup is capable of towing a 5th wheel.
The factory specifications may support this but in reality should someone?
pdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 11:02 AM   #39
pdaniel

Quote:
You may be on to something there...
pdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 11:47 AM   #40
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Thanks to suggestion by Travelin Texans, I was able to find that Camping World/Gander world of Dothan, AL has a distributor who offered B&W hitch adapter kits; they ordered and today they installed the kit in my 2020 1500 Silverado 5'10" (short bed) truck. (I have a "Sidewinder" installed on my trailer so I don't have issues with trailer hitting cab in tight turns; its and expensive way to go but back in 2012 when I got my first 5th wheel in a short bed Ford 150, it was the only one offered to me by RV Connections of Panama City, FL.)
The installation for the 2019 B&W kit was listed for 4 hours labor which they drew up a contract for me to sign prior to starting; HOWEVER, the 2020, even though the kit fits, required extra work cause the 2020 gas tank in in the way to thread the nuts on the driver's side adapter, SO they had to lower the tank, thread the nuts on and then raise the tank back up. LOTS of extra time (6.5 hours today) because there was a lot of head scratching before deciding that the tank had to be removed; Also, the B&W kit has center bolts that just fasten to the bed to prevent vibration noise; these nuts are VERY hard to thread because both of them come down in an area covered by heat shields; some companies simply cut off the heat shields but the general manager of this company would not let them destroy or cut off any part of this truck; instead required them to take the time to thread the nuts using long needle nose pliers which is a hit and miss job that takes lots of tries before getting it just right.
BUT the B&W KIT does fit and I am back in the 5th wheel hauling business!
I think that goose neck adapter kits may be replacing the king pin systems; you can get the ball installed at the factory now for the 2500 and the 3500 but NOT yet for the 1500; probably because of the weight of MOST 5th wheels these days and the NEED to have a slider or a sidewinder system which are MORE expensive and weigh more in the tongue area of the trailer; something I special purchase 10 ply tires to compensate for; tongue weights of 1400+lbs on 4 ply tires always worried me.
As has been driven home by some contributors, using a 1/2 ton pickup to pull a 5th wheel is not acceptable to lots of people but it works for me in the flat lands of Alabama .
And this^^^^^ right here should serve, at least for now, as a warning as to why a 5th wheel adapter is not available. Drop the gas tank-Nope? Cut the heat shield-Nope? 8+ hours of shop time to install the adapter-Nope? Nope, Nope, and more Nope.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote