Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 03-27-2020, 04:23 PM   #1
Brantlyj

Bathroom accessories.

I can’t believe how much time I have put into this. Way to much.

I want to put in a tp holder, hand towel rack and something for bath towels. As well as toothbrush holders for 5.

Everything I see on Amazon that is stick in says not to use it with wallpaper. Afraid that the kids will give the towel bar a yank and rip off half the wall.....

So what is everyone using? Pictures? Links?

Thanks
Brantlyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 04:33 PM   #2
Slapshoot

We use over the door towel holder that we hang our bath towels on. TP is free standing and hand towel is a command hook hanger. Only my husband and I so not sure how they would work with kids but.... Sorry can’t upload more than one photo. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6276.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	25866
Old 03-27-2020, 04:48 PM   #3
Roscommon48

are you sure it is 'wallpaper'? it is usually a board with a design already on it.

We use the stick up stuff and at times we add a screw to it to attach it to the 1/8 inch wall board.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 05:06 PM   #4
Gegrad

I got a matching towel rack, TP rack and hand towel rack set from Lowes.

Mounted the towel rack in the door with standard plastic wall anchors. 2+ years and going strong. I do make sure not to load it down too much.

I cut pieces of backer wood for the TP and hand towel rack and slipped in one on the lower side of the vanity for the TP and one on the inside of the medicine cabinet for the towel rack, that gave me something strong to mount to. I lightly stained the wood first so it would stick out.

I also mounted another towel rack on the wall above the toilet, but I used the 3M mounting tape and hook for that one. Sorry, I don't have any pics of my stuff, I can try to get some tomorrow.
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 05:08 PM   #5
Customer1

I use screws. Command strips are great for hooks or pictures, towel bars need screws.
Old 03-27-2020, 05:39 PM   #6
SummitPond

I use hollow wall anchors, something like this:

or this:

I have found that the latter work better for the small cavity in the wall.

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 06:10 PM   #7
pikespeakviewer

We use this, from Thirty One gifts. I can't remember what it's called, but we hang it from the pull on the lower cabinet in the bathroom.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-03-27 at 7.07.33 PM.png
Views:	201
Size:	247.6 KB
ID:	25871  
Old 03-27-2020, 06:23 PM   #8
Brantlyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscommon48 View Post
are you sure it is 'wallpaper'? it is usually a board with a design already on it.

We use the stick up stuff and at times we add a screw to it to attach it to the 1/8 inch wall board.
That I don’t know. Was wondering the same. Wasn’t sure if it was some type of manufactured board or a plain board with a paper or laminate on it.
Old 03-27-2020, 06:27 PM   #9
Brantlyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummitPond View Post
I use hollow wall anchors, something like this:

or this:

I have found that the latter work better for the small cavity in the wall.
I was considering these as well. Was just Leary about drilling holes. Not as easy to fix as drywall. Lol. But would allow me to use residential items.
Old 03-27-2020, 06:36 PM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

The problem for most people is finding studs to mount a towel bar. Most trailer interior walls are 1/8" luan with a vinyl wall surface (think super cheap wall paper) and the studs are "randomly spaced" so no "logical place for secure fastening"….

What I've found works fairly well is to mount the toilet paper holder to the inside of the vanity door and to mount towel bars on a "decorative 1x4" the appropriate length to span between two wall studs. Then mount the towel bar AND the decorative 1x4 with screws into the wall studs. Sometimes you might need to span from "door to corner" with the 1x4 and install the towel bar "centered where you want it"....

Honestly, we've had this trailer 6 (going on 7) years and DW still hasn't made up her mind exactly where she wants the TP holder, so we have it in a cupboard and just sit the roll on the vanity shelf. Open the door, it's right there (with her hair dryer and extra towels)...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 07:14 PM   #11
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The problem for most people is finding studs to mount a towel bar. Most trailer interior walls are 1/8" luan with a vinyl wall surface (think super cheap wall paper) and the studs are "randomly spaced" so no "logical place for secure fastening"….

What I've found works fairly well is to mount the toilet paper holder to the inside of the vanity door and to mount towel bars on a "decorative 1x4" the appropriate length to span between two wall studs. Then mount the towel bar AND the decorative 1x4 with screws into the wall studs. Sometimes you might need to span from "door to corner" with the 1x4 and install the towel bar "centered where you want it"....

Honestly, we've had this trailer 6 (going on 7) years and DW still hasn't made up her mind exactly where she wants the TP holder, so we have it in a cupboard and just sit the roll on the vanity shelf. Open the door, it's right there (with her hair dryer and extra towels)...
I can't tell you how many racks and towel bars I have mounted to the 1/8" luan with course threaded screws and have yet to have one pull out. No we don't have kids, but I also don't hang on them either.

This makes me think to a commercial building inspector that would back up to the handicap bars in restrooms, bend his knees and see if he could rip it out of the wall!
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 07:33 PM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
I can't tell you how many racks and towel bars I have mounted to the 1/8" luan with course threaded screws and have yet to have one pull out. No we don't have kids, but I also don't hang on them either.

This makes me think to a commercial building inspector that would back up to the handicap bars in restrooms, bend his knees and see if he could rip it out of the wall!
A towel bar mounted 5' above the floor with a 4' grandson doesn't take too many showers before he's yelling, "Grandpa, the towel bar fell off the wall".... Seems 4' "urchins" have to pull down on a towel to get it off the towel bar. We can (and have) gone for years with just DW and me and never an issue. One "2 week fishing trip with a 10 year old".... well, I devised a more permanent mounting system, the 1x4 decorative board that spans from one stud to the next.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 12:39 AM   #13
LHaven

When I got my new Keystone, the TP holder was in a bag, not even installed. I figured they were giving me the opportunity to decide where I wanted it, and I installed it somewhere much more convenient than they probably would have. I used standard mollies; if they pull out, I'll escalate to the expanding ones. (Haven't ever had to go full toggle bolt yet.)

As for the towel bar, for the first year, we just used the top shower door rail as a towel and facecloth bar. Recently, we added a set of independent door hooks (3/$10) useful for towels, robes, etc. We chose independent hooks because we can swap them to either side of the door depending on our need at any given time: towels and robes inside, clothes hangers or the shirt we intend to re-wear tomorrow outside, etc. We can also move them from the door to the shower rail if necessary, to dry damp items like facecloths or a washed pair of socks. They can also handle heavy items, like a handbag or hangered suit. (This also solves the toddler pull-off problem, except for getting stuff re-hung, which a bar doesn't guarantee anyway.)

Old 03-28-2020, 02:59 AM   #14
chuckster57
Site Team

It’s pretty much the norm for all manufacturers to send the TP holder in the owners packet. With the walls being so thin I dually suggest a holder of some nature that sits on the floor.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 06:43 AM   #15
Keystoned

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 03-28-2020, 10:15 AM   #16
Customer1

For tp I got this at Walmart;

It fits perfectly between the shower stall and the bathroom door. I did screw it to the floor to hold it in place.

Towels bars are mounted to an Oak board that spans the studs in the wall.
Old 03-28-2020, 05:41 PM   #17
ADQ K9

Over the door wire hook hanger for the bath towels or on the surround and for the hand towel we got an over the door hanger for the vanity. Got them both at Lowes. The one for the vanity is like the one we have in the kitchen for dish towels. The TP holder has not been mounted after 3 years though we will probably get a vertical floor mount one of these days
Connected by a Curt 15K WDH W/Sway Control
ADQ K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 06:37 PM   #18
barterry46

Those small hollow wall anchors are what my husband used in our last fifth wheel and I'd using in our new one. He installed two towel bars on our bathroom door using them, plus 2 wooden backed coat hooks (wood plank with 3 coat hooks), plus a few decorative wooden pieces. We had our previous camper for ten years and never had problems with anything falling off wall. You just need to be careful to check for wiring etc.
barterry46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 07:28 AM   #19
Camp CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brantlyj View Post
..............I want to put in a tp holder, hand towel rack and something for bath towels. As well as toothbrush holders for 5...........
Ditto Slapshoot .............for an over the door towel holder. For toilet paper install a vanity door holder on the inside of the vanity door or "Safe-er Grip Toilet Paper Holder" for $7.58 from Camping World with suction cup attachment to attach to the wall or vanity door.

For toothbrushes consider a Camco Pop-A-Toothbrush Holder (holds 2) for $3.77 each from Camping World and attaches to the wall with double-sided tape.

Your local hardware and Camping World may have other ideas:

https://www.campingworld.com/inside-...sories-storage
Camp CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 05:35 PM   #20
kcamp99186

We use an over the door mount, but it is mounted to the shower surround. I can reach over the top and get my towel. DW has to open the shower door.

kcamp99186 is offline   Reply With Quote