Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-21-2020, 07:34 PM   #41
Bill Hayes

A diesel duelly is a must. I would also seriously consider a disc brake conversion on toy hauler.
Bill Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 09:06 PM   #42
LewisB

Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hayes View Post
A diesel duelly is a must. I would also seriously consider a disc brake conversion on toy hauler.
Our Raptor GVWR is 17k and our rig scales at 26k+ GCWR. With the engine brake on the new diesels I can drive the speed limit down Wolf Creek Pass and only occasionally touch the brakes, typically to slow for a curve. Why would I want to spend hundreds of dollars for disc brakes on a trailer?
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 09:13 PM   #43
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisB View Post
Our Raptor GVWR is 17k and our rig scales at 26k+ GCWR. With the engine brake on the new diesels I can drive the speed limit down Wolf Creek Pass and only occasionally touch the brakes, typically to slow for a curve. Why would I want to spend hundreds of dollars for disc brakes on a trailer?
Agree they won't help as much going downhill, won't hurt either, but in traffic or any other driving they are worth every one of those dollars.
Once you've had a RV with the stopping power of disc brakes you'll never want another with drum brakes.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 04:54 AM   #44
+Ruff Rider
Gone Traveling

Disk brakes don't need adjustment every year. Disk brakes don't fade like drum brakes. Disk brakes have a greater stopping power. Easier to replace pads instead of shoes. I don't have them on my 03 3280 but I am going to a newer rv this summer and disk brakes will be on the trailer.
+Ruff Rider is offline   Reply With Quote