Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-01-2020, 04:56 PM   #1
Inspector128

Rear View Camera

I'm researching wireless rear camera options for my 34 foot Keystone Montana. It is prewired for a Furrion camera. I know there are plenty of options, but this is my issue. How many displays do I want on my dash? Start with the TPMS, then add another screen for the rear camera? Plus the cat likes to lay on the dash-so he has first dibs on the available real estate.

Then it hit me, why not a camera in the rear view mirror, since its useless with the 5'er attached? Is anyone aware of a rear view mirror camera system that would work with a rear trailer camera?

My goal is to primarily use the rear camera when traveling down the road-I'm not as concerned about using it to park the trailer.

Thanks
Inspector128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 05:28 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

RVS has a wireless system that can be used as a "backup camera" (wired to the reverse lights) or as a "rear monitor" (wired to continuous power). It has a "transmitter that would need to be installed "inside the trailer" and a "replacement mirror" to install in place of your existing mirror. RVS systems are not cheap, but they are reliable.

https://www.rearviewsafety.com/safet...r-monitor.html

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 08:35 PM   #3
+Ruff Rider
Gone Traveling

Ya there are never enough things to distract people who tow RV's
+Ruff Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 12:11 AM   #4
KRumm

The thing about the rear view mirror camera is the screens in the rear view mirror are tiny and not very high resolution... I would prefer a wireless camera that connects to a phone or tablet to show a larger screen via an app... I have a dedicated tablet in my truck cab just for Google maps and my travel apps so using its 8” screen would be perfect

Like this...
https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Last...3136057&sr=8-4
KRumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 11:21 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

I have a wired RVS system with a 7" color monitor. It's much to big to sit on the dash and every time we leave the truck, it's "visible for thieves" to cruise. Would it be a motivation for a break-in? Who knows, but out of sight/out of mind mandates putting it away every time we park.

I found a simple solution that works for me. The rear view mirror on the windshield is "virtually useless" while towing, so I put two strips of "hook end Velcro" on the back of the mirror. I then adapted the monitor mount and put some foam where it sits against the windshield mirror and some "fuzzy Velcro strips between the monitor and the mount. Now I can position the monitor on the mirror, use the Velcro to hold it in place and connect it to the harness that I ran up the a frame molding, under the headliner and left the connector "hanging behind the mirror"...

Now, my "large monitor" is out of the way, off the dash and is not as readily visible sitting on the dash while we're parked.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 08:46 PM   #6
Old Mustanger

I attach my Furrion monitor to the rear view mirror with rubber bands
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 07:40 PM   #7
Inspector128

I like the idea of fastening the monitor to the rear view mirror. I hadn't thought of that technique. Just need to avoid pressing On Star or one of the other 4 buttons on the rear view mirror!

Thanks
Inspector128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 09:44 AM   #8
dutchmensport

My Furrion Observation camera sticks to the windshield directly under the rear view mirror. My Tom-Tom stick to the top of my dash under that. My wife holds the phones, laptop, 2 dogs and a cat!
Old 03-19-2020, 07:31 AM   #9
moodman

I have the Furrion system. The monitor is way too small (5 inch) and the colors and contrast are all off. I would love to replace just the monitor, because the camera is fine, but I don't know what after-market monitors will pick up the Furrion signal or where I can buy just a monitor. Does anyone know?
Old 03-19-2020, 07:52 AM   #10
ticaboodan

Great idea, I contacted Furrion and asked that same question, if they had a mount to the rear view. I was told no but that others had removed their rear view mirror and placed this in its place. Issue with that is removing and then putting it back on when you park. I love your idea, can you post some pictures? Would love to see how you actually did it
ticaboodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 09:11 AM   #11
ckittila

My monitor mount

Here was my solution for my Furrion 7 inch screen in my ram.

It’s just an angle bracket, glued to the monitor. The top of the bracket fits in the glove box crack and hangs nicely. It’s not super visible when driving due the complexity of multiple cameras on the screen. BUT, it’s perfect for DW to watch and advise.

You can also easily take it down and bring it into the camper for surveillance while camping.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	18FE52EF-F681-4D7B-A701-F54A1F936D69.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	218.3 KB
ID:	25639   Click image for larger version

Name:	D3E8A2C5-9D8A-44EB-9923-9F664E5E72EE.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	25640  
ckittila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 09:18 AM   #12
SC GT Yellow Jacket

Question Furrion wireless works great, when it works

I had the dealer install a Furrion wireless camera on the rear of my new Cougar 29RLD (it was pre-wired for the camera). I have the display suction cupped to the windshield under the rear view mirror, just above the dash. Usually, when I first crank up, the camera and display come on and work fine. After that the camera may work for a while, or I may lose the signal. The monitor just displays loss of signal when this happens. Sometimes going down the road I will get the signal again. The signal strength is supposed to be sufficient for the distance to my Surburban windshield. I am wondering if there may be a loose power connection to the camera. Any other thoughts on this issue?

Otherwise, I think this camera and display perform well.
ToGo Roadlink C2
SC GT Yellow Jacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 04:13 PM   #13
solocanoejake

Rear view camera

I have used the RVS camera and monitor on two tt’s. Not only is the equipment trouble free but they have an incredible customer service staff if you have any questions. You get what you pay for
solocanoejake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 05:54 PM   #14
KRumm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC GT Yellow Jacket View Post
I have the display suction cupped to the windshield under the rear view mirror, just above the dash.
Wouldn’t placement in the center of the windshield run you afoul of some state laws?...

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...-law/index.htm
KRumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 06:06 PM   #15
Hblick48

Here's the monitor I use. 7 inch screen that clips onto the rear view mirror. I did not use the camera that came with it. Not familiar with the Furrion setup, don't know if this monitor could be easily hooked up.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 06:30 PM   #16
tech740

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckittila View Post
Here was my solution for my Furrion 7 inch screen in my ram.

It’s just an angle bracket, glued to the monitor. The top of the bracket fits in the glove box crack and hangs nicely. It’s not super visible when driving due the complexity of multiple cameras on the screen. BUT, it’s perfect for DW to watch and advise.

You can also easily take it down and bring it into the camper for surveillance while camping.
With that not being secured, will it fly if there is an airbag deployment?

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 07:24 PM   #17
Old Mustanger

Quote:
Usually, when I first crank up, the camera and display come on and work fine. After that the camera may work for a while, or I may lose the signal. The monitor just displays loss of signal when this happens. Sometimes going down the road I will get the signal again. The signal strength is supposed to be sufficient for the distance to my Surburban windshield. I am wondering if there may be a loose power connection to the camera. Any other thoughts on this issue?
Make sure the antennae at the camera is straight up and the one at the monitor as straight as possible, I found this keeps the non-signal occurrences to a minimum.
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 07:36 PM   #18
Hblick48

Quote:
Usually, when I first crank up, the camera and display come on and work fine. After that the camera may work for a while, or I may lose the signal. The monitor just displays loss of signal when this happens. Sometimes going down the road I will get the signal again. The signal strength is supposed to be sufficient for the distance to my Surburban windshield. I am wondering if there may be a loose power connection to the camera. Any other thoughts on this issue?.
My wireless setup did exactly the same thing. Noticed that signal loss occurred more often when there is a lot of traffic.

The wireless cameras and some TPMS systems use the same radio frequency. I figured that all of the other cameras and TPMS were interfering with my signal. That may be why yours cuts out.

I engineered a direct cable setup from camera to monitor, never cuts out.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 05:40 AM   #19
ckittila

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech740 View Post
With that not being secured, will it fly if there is an airbag deployment?
It actually hangs 90% in front of the upper glove box door and it is off to the side, so it is unlikely to be a bazooka shot at any passenger. Airbag should deploy over the top and move the thing laterally or downward.

It beats blocking your view, blocking access to cup holders, risking it falling down by your feet.

Just my opinion.
ckittila is offline   Reply With Quote