Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-29-2020, 08:00 AM   #1
Samlynn85

Power issues

Hi all! We're somewhat newbies at this. The bf has owned a camper for abour 10 years but only used it once a year or so to camp in.

We recently decided to be full timers and bought a new (to us) passport ultra lite. We are still in the process of moving in full time and have already run into our first issue. While its sitting in our drive way connected to shore power, I am not getting any power inside! Last night it was working fine. Woke up this morning to a freezing camper and not power.

Obviously I checked the connection where it's plugged into the shore power. Reset the breakers (they didn't appear to be tripped but did so for good measure) also plugged in something to the outlet to see if it was working properly. It appeared to be. Inside the camper i also reset the main breaker. Again it didn't appear tripped but did so to see if that would help. It did not.

Now I'm at a loss. Any suggestions!?
Samlynn85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 08:12 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum
Sorry for your troubles, lets see if we can get you back up and running. At this point you need to verify that you indeed have 110VAC going into the coach. Start at the house your plugged into, use a plug checker or if your comfortable with a Volt/Ohm meter verify that you indeed have 110 at that plug. I assume your trailer is 30A service and plugged into a 15/20A standard household outlet using an adapter. If there is an extension cord, that just adds a couple of points to test. ANY place there is a plug or adapter, test BOTH sides. I am betting that you either popped the breaker at the house or burnt an adapter.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 08:37 AM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

"also plugged in something to the outlet to see if it was working properly. It appeared to be. Inside the camper i also reset the main breaker. Again it didn't appear tripped but did so to see if that would help. It did not."

What did you plug in to test the outlet?
Are you using a 30 amp to 15 amp adapter that looks like a "hockey puck" that costs like $3? If so, throw it out and buy a "dogbone" style adapter as those cheap ones are notorious for failing.

How are you determining that you do not have power now? Is the clock on the microwave on?

When you you "reset" the breaker in the camper did you turn it off then back on? New breakers can be very stiff to operate so don't be bashful about flipping the breaker, you're not going to hurt it.

Finally, are plugged into a GFI (ground fault interrupting) outlet? If so try resetting it. Power to the outlet must be present before it can be reset and the outlet that you are plugged into may not be a GFI but may be wired into a GFI upstream or even in GFI breaker in the house panel.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power