Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-05-2020, 07:17 AM   #21
rjniles

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post

I urge you: DO NOT USE AIR COMPRESSOR FITTINGS !!!! They are not designed to install in a propane system and may result in a fire/explosion if you "cheap out on fittings at Lowe's or Home Depot".....
I have used air compressor fittings for years to connect grills, fryers and other propane cooking appliances. My wife is a caterer so we use propane devices extensively. These air fittings are made to operate at a much higher working pressure than any propane supply. A caveat; use brass fitting not steel, non-sparking.
Old 04-05-2020, 07:42 AM   #22
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjniles View Post
I have used air compressor fittings for years to connect grills, fryers and other propane cooking appliances. My wife is a caterer so we use propane devices extensively. These air fittings are made to operate at a much higher working pressure than any propane supply. A caveat; use brass fitting not steel, non-sparking.
Can you buy me a lotto ticket before your luck runs out?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 08:10 AM   #23
Third Degree

Use this adapter. It will plug right into the port extended propane line, and then into your grill.

https://www.etrailer.com/Propane/MB-...6-120-MBS.html
Third Degree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 08:53 AM   #24
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjniles View Post
I'd have disagree!
My air compressor is rated to 150 psi, the propane tank is 250+ psi.
If you're using air fittings after a step down regulator you might possibly get by, but if connected directly to a propane source you're treading on a very slippery slope.
If you're using the Milton brand, or some other top quality brand, of air hose fittings it would be just as cheap to buy the fittings designed for propane use. Hopefully you ARE NOT using Harbor Freight air hose fittings.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 09:17 AM   #25
rjniles

I only use on the low pressure side after the tank regulator. 11" WC or about 1/2 PSI.
Old 04-05-2020, 09:37 AM   #26
rlh1957

My 29RKS quick connect hose pulls out and can reach down and under slide to the quick connect fitting with on/off valve to the left if the slide just under the fairing.
Because of slide movement it isn't permanent connected.

2020 Cougar Half Ton 29RKS Fifth Wheel
2019 F350 4WD Lariat SRW 6.7 Diesel SD
Anderson Ultimate 5th Hitch - JT Strongarm TST509 TPMS- 2200W(8)Solar Panels - 800AH BattleBorn Batteries. 3000W Victron MultiPlus II Inv. SoftStartRV on 2 AC’s - Predator 3500 generator Airlift 5000 bags
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 09:38 AM   #27
GeekSquadOfUn

If this can help.

https://youtu.be/8a_-5ysjTiU
May you live as long as you want, and never want as long as you live.
GeekSquadOfUn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 10:01 AM   #28
jimborokz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
There is a step down regulator "REQUIRED" in all high pressure LPG systems used in RV applications where there is more than 5' of "high pressure LPG transmission." The purpose is not "safety" but to prevent the accumulation of liquid LPG in the high pressure line. By installing a "10' flex hose" without the step down regulator, the line is not in compliance with RV LPG installation requirements and can (not will) allow liquid LPG to accumulate in the flex line. That's "more than a "Pffft" of gas in a 1/4" ID hose if suddenly disconnected, provided the tank safety valve functions.

Check out any fifth wheel with tanks on each side of the front compartment, the "off regulator side" will always have a step down regulator BEFORE the cross pipe. That's the part "missing from your work around high pressure line", and the reason it's not the "best idea" to just run a 10' HP flex line from the tank....
Ok, so I have a gas tank on either side. I see where the tank on the DS runs into a red regulator before the pipe to the other side where it then connects to the main switchover regulator.
So my question is can I tee into the line after the step down regulator and then connect to my gas grill that has it's own built in regulator?
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 02:42 PM   #29
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimborokz View Post
Ok, so I have a gas tank on either side. I see where the tank on the DS runs into a red regulator before the pipe to the other side where it then connects to the main switchover regulator.
So my question is can I tee into the line after the step down regulator and then connect to my gas grill that has it's own built in regulator?
I would say no. That's based on the regulator in your grill requiring a input from the 1 pound bottle or a 20 pound tank. That pressure is "roughly 150 PSI. The pressure in the line you described (after the red regulator) is 30 PSI. That "may be enough pressure" to provide adequate gas through your Weber regulator, but I'd guess it wouldn't be enough.

You're not going to damage anything by trying, so if you want to experiment, you might find it works. I'd suspect that you wouldn't get enough gas pressure at the Weber regulator to provide the BTU's needed to reach full temperature.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 04:38 PM   #30
jimborokz

[QUOTE=JRTJH;384763]I would say no. That's based on the regulator in your grill requiring a input from the 1 pound bottle or a 20 pound tank. That pressure is "roughly 150 PSI. The pressure in the line you described (after the red regulator) is 30 PSI. That "may be enough pressure" to provide adequate gas through your Weber regulator, but I'd guess it wouldn't be enough.

You're not going to damage anything by trying, so if you want to experiment, you might find it works. I'd suspect that you wouldn't get enough gas pressure at the Weber regulator to provide the BTU's needed to reach full temperature.[/QUOTE

That was my initial thought, however, from that regulator with I agree maybe 30psi a pipe runs through the front storage area to the other side where it connects directly to the secondary regulator/switchover. The other side of that switchover connects directly to the other tank. So I have 150 -250 psi on one side and then it switches over to 30psi when that tank runs out and either one runs everything in the camper that uses gas.
I'm thinking it would work.
Old 04-05-2020, 08:36 PM   #31
travelin texans

If you try your grill from the regulated side of your RV system you will have to remove the grill regulator.
I tried what you are suggesting with my Weber, yes it will light, with a VERY small non adjustable flame that would take about a week to grill a hotdog.
Click image for larger version

Name:	gasone-conversion-kits-50130-64_1000.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	26113

Pick one of these (about $20) with a hose (about $20), length of your choice, add to your DS bottle, connect grill as is & in about 20 minutes you can grill yourself a steak.
Replacement undetermined
Old 04-05-2020, 08:50 PM   #32
travelin texans

Forgot the hose
Click image for larger version

Name:	dyna-glo-parts-accessories-hakitdg-64_1000.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	26114
This will attach to the Y pictured above & attach directly to your Weber or any other device that the 1 pound bottles attach directly to, no regulator removals, no mismatched quick connects, turn the bottle on & fire up any device.
Replacement undetermined
Old 04-06-2020, 03:15 AM   #33
jimborokz

Though I wouldn't be connecting to the regulated line, just the step down pipe, I think your suggestion is the simplest and easiest and is sure to work.
Old 04-07-2020, 06:06 AM   #34
Nitehawk

You will find everything you require at the link below and you can ask them any question you want. I have done exactly what you wanted and more .

https://propanegear.com/
Nitehawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, plumbing