Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 05:03 PM   #1
TNCampingDad

Weights and Capacities of my 2012 F-150 Lariat SCrew 4x4 Offroad Ecoboost

Ok Keystone RV forum gurus I have been looking at a Laredo 291TG with a shipping weight of 6535lbs, carry capacity of 1665lbs, and a hitch weight of 860lbs. My truck has the following capacities according to the "white"sticker inside the driver's door. GVWR 7200lbs, Front GAWR 3750lbs, rear GAWR 4050lbs. max hitch weight 1050lbs, and tires max weight per tire 2403lbs.(6ply). One thing that does not make sense to me is the GVWR of 7200lbs. Because if you add the rear and front GAWR weights togerther they add up to 7800lbs. Is this a mistake? and which number is wrong The "yellow" sticker says max cargo and passenger weight not to exceed 1142lbs. These numbers are not adding up!! Which numbers should I use to find my true cargo capacity of my truck? I have also taken my truck to a CAT scale and it weighed 6060lbs with a completely full tank of gas but no cargo. The rear axle weight was 2720lbs and the front axle was 3340lbs. They way I am adding it up I should have 1740lbs of cargo and passenger capacity not the 1142lbs. I welcome any knowledgeable insite into this math problem but please I am not interested in the debate over the Ford ecoboost or that I should buy a F-250. I am only concerned with which weights I should be using to make my calculations for my current truck.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:36 PM   #2
f6bits

Oi! And I thought *my* cargo capacity was low (1297 lbs).
I also have the 7200 GVWR package. But here's how my truck stacked up on the scale with me and ⅞ of a 36 gal. tank of gas:
Front: 3420 (330 free)
Rear: 2660 (1340 free)
Total: 6090 (1110 Free)

Here's how it came out with my trailer:
½ Tank of Gas, Full Fresh Water, Me and Two Kids, Front loaded trailer cargo
Front: 3230 (520 free)
Rear: 3620 (380 free)
Total: 6850 (350 free)
Trailer Axles: 5260
Gross: 12100

I know…the numbers don't add up when you look at the Gross ratings. With my 6000 lb loaded trailer, all feels good. Your gassed up truck and its cargo capacity add up to close to your 7200 lb limit. My opinion is that the axle ratings can handle a poorly loaded truck. With the truck nose-high, more weight is on the rear axle and it can handle it.

Bottom line is that it's unwise to exceed any of those numbers.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
Old 02-14-2013, 06:09 PM   #3
TNCampingDad

Quote:
Originally Posted by f6bits View Post
Oi! And I thought *my* cargo capacity was low (1297 lbs).
I also have the 7200 GVWR package. But here's how my truck stacked up on the scale with me and ⅞ of a 36 gal. tank of gas:
Front: 3420 (330 free)
Rear: 2660 (1340 free)
Total: 6090 (1110 Free)

Here's how it came out with my trailer:
½ Tank of Gas, Full Fresh Water, Me and Two Kids, Front loaded trailer cargo
Front: 3230 (520 free)
Rear: 3620 (380 free)
Total: 6850 (350 free)
Trailer Axles: 5260
Gross: 12100

I know…the numbers don't add up when you look at the Gross ratings. With my 6000 lb loaded trailer, all feels good. Your gassed up truck and its cargo capacity add up to close to your 7200 lb limit. My opinion is that the axle ratings can handle a poorly loaded truck. With the truck nose-high, more weight is on the rear axle and it can handle it.

Bottom line is that it's unwise to exceed any of those numbers.
It looks like your truck also has the misleading numbers too! Is your max cargo what your yellow sticker says at 1297lbs? because if you subtract your trucks weight (6090) from 7200 you are only left with 1110? and you didn't have a full tank of gas? My number seem to be different in other areas. When I subtract my TV weight (6060) from 7200 I am left with the weight listed on the yellow sticker of 1142(two lbs. off) close enough but why is my GVWR listed as 7200lbs if my rear and front GAWR add up to 7800lbs?
Old 02-14-2013, 07:15 PM   #4
fla-gypsy

The yellow sticker is the makers payload number and is the final say. Most folks getting the EB for towing also get the HD payload package and Max tow Pkg for the reasons you are seeing. The GVWR will never equal the sum of the GAWR because no one could possibly balance the load between the axles perfectly.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:31 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Ford builds in what is called an "ARC" or "Accessory Reserve Capacity" on all their trucks. This ARC is the difference between the posted GVW and the axle ratings. In the 2010 F150 Build Guide it is explained in a footnote that reads:

"OPT/ARC Weight is the maximum allowable weight for regular production options (OPT) and aftermarket equipment Accessory Reserve Capacity (ARC) for models with standard equipment and the engine/transmission combination indicated."

The ARC is the engineering allowance for added accessories (sort of a "fudge factor for optional things ordered by the customer on the truck from the factory and/or extra allowance for things like a set of overload springs, or added running boards or wheel well liners, extra DVD players added to the back seat. It's more or less the things owners add that they don't think about when working up a trailer or camper payload.....

In 2010, the ARC for F150 supercrew 145" wheelbase 4X4 was listed as 656 lbs. I'm guessing that the 2011-2013 ARC didn't change too much. If you add that to your GVW, you'll see that it comes up to just about the same as the axle ratings.

Hope this helps solve your perplexing question

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-15-2013, 06:36 AM   #6
EcoboostKev

You know your truck weighs 6060lbs so now add the weight of your family and whatever you think you will add to the bed of the truck for a camping trip . Then subtract that from your 7200lb GVWR and whatever is left is your available tongue weight for a trailer. Unfortunately the trailer your interested in is going to be to heavy for your truck. I only know this because it has almost the same specs as my 2012 Outback292BH. My trailer is 6500lbs dry and the dry hitch weight is 850lbs. I have a 2011 F150 Ecoboost Screw with max tow and 157" wheelbase. I have a GVWR of 7700lbs and with my truck loaded up for a trip with family aboard and trailer in tow I went to my local Cat Scale and it weighed in at 7540lbs. My trailer weighed 7500lbs(loaded). I'm just under my GVWR by 160lbs. You should look at some of the Keystone Passports(2920BH,3050Bh) That are much less in weight and have similar floor plans as the Laredo you are looking at. Good luck, Kevin
https://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/...11_748-1-1.jpg
Old 02-15-2013, 07:15 AM   #7
Laredo291OH

I know you didn't want to hear this, but, I pull the exact camper, just a 2011 model. The first year I owned it I tried pulling it with a 2009 GMC Yukon that was rated to tow 8200 lbs, the exact loaded weight of the trailer. I had alot of problems with sway, even with the Reese Dual Cam hitch. I'm not sure if the sway was due to the short wheelbase or the weight being maxed out, but I can tell you that sway is not a fun thing. I upgraded to a GMC 2500 and all problems went away. The manufacturers don't help anything, I look at my GMC 2500 HD that has all the heavy duty suspension, 6L gas engine, 8" tall frame, hydraulic instead of vacuum brakes etc and it only has a 9900 lb tow weight, but my Yukon with all the 1/2 ton frame and components has a 8200 lb tow weight, seems odd to me, seems either the Yukon is overrated or the HD is underrated. After all this rambling, I guess my point is, make sure you have enough truck to pull the camper you want.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:53 PM   #8
jrp

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNCampingDad View Post
.... I am only concerned with which weights I should be using to make my calculations for my current truck.
You should be using all the weight ratings shown on that official sticker in the door jam. They all apply individually & collectively. The only confusion is you assuming they should add up. They rarely do.
You need to be sure the actual weight of your truck, loaded & fueled, plus passengers, plus your pin weight, does not exceed the GVWR 7200. You also need to be sure the actual weight on each axle and each tire do not exceed their stated ratings.
No where does it say you can exceed the GVWR as long as you dont exceed the axle ratings, they're seperate ratings. No where does it say if you install upgraded tires with higher load rating, that you can then exceed the axle rating. etc
I've never seen a placard where the 2 axle ratings added up to the GVWR, I've also never seen a placard cargo capacity that was anywhere close to real life, since those are calculated on assumptions that dont come close to actuals.
Its the same for my F250 SD, the axle ratings are 6000 and 6200, but the GVWR is 10,000. its typically the GVWR number thats the limiting factor, unless your load is severely out of balance.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:39 PM   #9
x96mnn

This is a tough one. Unless you can get the factory to give you another sticker if it is wrong it is what you have to go off of and use.

Even tough your 100% right on your calculations if something where to happen your insurance will toss you under a bus so fast it is not funny or cause you to go broke while you fight it in court.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:47 PM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

The GVW is the "bible" you can't go any more than 7200 lbs (and remain legal) the ARC is the factory's accommodation, not the owner's. From what I was told by Ford engineering, the ARC is what the factory uses to maintain the "standard GVW" for all trucks in that assembly line model run.

Assume if you will, a "baseline XL with a GVW of 7200 lbs and a Platinum with the same GVW. They come down the assembly line one behind the other. Obviously the optional equipment installed in the Platinum will weigh significantly more than the optional equipment installed in the XL. They both have the same axles, springs, chassis, body. The GVW is calculated with the ARC so Ford can use the same GVW on all trucks in that model run..... They all have a GVW of 7200 lbs, but some of them will have 656 lbs "left over" and some may have 100 lbs "left over" depending on the weight of all the optional equipment installed to make the truck what was ordered by the dealer.

So, Ford gets to benefit from the extra calculated weight, but the owner doesn't. Once the truck leaves the factory with the door sticker declaring the GVW, that's it, no more changes in rating. We all know that the extra 656 lbs is still sitting there, a small part of it used to install the things that make an XLT what it is, the rest is just "free weight" that Ford engineered into the truck for "their convenience" not for the owner. It does benefit the owner in helping him stay under the GVW even if he loads "right to the limit".....

It's sort of like some people here suggest a "safety factor" of 10% or 20% when calculating max towing or max payload. They say, don't go over that safety factor to keep yourself under the limit.... Well, the ARC is "Ford's safety factor" <sort of> so when they build a run of trucks they don't get the wrong payload sticker or GVW sticker on the wrong doorjam. They are all the same, so there's no "mismarked black/gray tank mistakes" made by the line workers at Ford......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-15-2013, 03:41 PM   #11
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The GVW is the "bible" you can't go any more than 7200 lbs (and remain legal) ...
I will take and unpopular position (albeit correct) and disagree with the above.

Legalities are brought up on the "forums" quite frequently... Most of the time with incorrect information.

From a legal standpoint, you can load up your vehicle (in the USA) to your heart's content as long as you don't go over the GAWR or the tire rating up to a maximum of 20,000 lbs per axle....

Most readers will scoff at the above... But that is because they're un-informed.

I'm not saying it's "safe" to do so.... or recommending it do so.. I'm just saying that a bunch of individuals use the "legal" argument - when in reality, they have no basis for that argument.

There are plenty more practical arguments for not doing so - based upon weight and truck - that have nothing to do with being "legal"......
Old 02-15-2013, 07:50 PM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAD View Post
I will take and unpopular position (albeit correct) and disagree with the above.

Legalities are brought up on the "forums" quite frequently... Most of the time with incorrect information.

From a legal standpoint, you can load up your vehicle (in the USA) to your heart's content as long as you don't go over the GAWR or the tire rating up to a maximum of 20,000 lbs per axle....

Most readers will scoff at the above... But that is because they're un-informed.

I'm not saying it's "safe" to do so.... or recommending it do so.. I'm just saying that a bunch of individuals use the "legal" argument - when in reality, they have no basis for that argument.

There are plenty more practical arguments for not doing so - based upon weight and truck - that have nothing to do with being "legal"......
SAD, I may have used a "trigger word" for you by saying "legal" In my opinion, going to court to argue the point is not something I want to do. So, whether I use "legal" or "completly not recommended by Ford" is irrelevant to the remainder of my post. I'm afraid that it appears you "caught five letters" in a rather lengthy post and missed the remainder of what I was trying to say. Sadly, whether you pick out one word or not, the remainder of the post remains germaine to the discussion and as such, is valid and hopefully the message didn't get lost in those five letters...... Whether you (or I) like it, once you weigh more than the GVW and get involved in an accident, you're subjecting yourself to the "legal system" should anyone start pointing fingers at you for weighing, in this case, more than 7200 lbs. Should you want to push the issue on axle ratings up to GAWR or 20,000 lbs is entirely up to you. The point remains, in this post, the "magic" number is 7200 lbs, above that, the operator is subject to the liability of having to defend his weight should court action be taken. Why go there unnecessarily?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-15-2013, 09:19 PM   #13
TNCampingDad

Thank you all for a lot of really useful information. I think I will scap the idea of trying to purchase the 291TG and go for a Raptor Toy Hauler!!!! Just kidding... I will continue to look for other model TT's that will get me under the 7200lbs GVWR. This is not easy since I have been looking at that model for over 6 months and love it!!! But I understand now why the GAWR weights don't add up to the GVWR. I didn't think about them being over engineered to compensate for a difference in loads on each axle but not to exceed the total GVWR. Hey I learned something.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:35 AM   #14
jsmith948

FWIW - The 20,000# weight limit referenced in a previous post has nothing to do with the weight carrying capacity of a vehicle. These weight limits are established to limit the amount of weight to which our highways and bridges are subjected. Tandem axle trucks are allowed 34,000# on that group (36,000# in some states), but, if the two axles are a minimum of 9 feet apart (center to center) then each axle can carry 20K or 40K for the 'group'. It is all about the weight on the road bed. If you are over your specified weight ratings for your vehicle, you will not have broken any 'bridge weight' regulations. However, I would not want a lawyer asking me if I knew what the GVWR was for my RV if I found myself in court - IMHO

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
Old 02-16-2013, 07:15 AM   #15
labs4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith948 View Post
FWIW - The 20,000# weight limit referenced in a previous post has nothing to do with the weight carrying capacity of a vehicle. These weight limits are established to limit the amount of weight to which our highways and bridges are subjected. Tandem axle trucks are allowed 34,000# on that group (36,000# in some states), but, if the two axles are a minimum of 9 feet apart (center to center) then each axle can carry 20K or 40K for the 'group'. It is all about the weight on the road bed. If you are over your specified weight ratings for your vehicle, you will not have broken any 'bridge weight' regulations. However, I would not want a lawyer asking me if I knew what the GVWR was for my RV if I found myself in court - IMHO
Lawyers are the reason you have to be certain you have stayed within the limits of TV and Trailer. The first question asked is what you weigh in an accident. Then the mess hits the fan if you are over anywhere.

Good post on the bridge law and the road usage. This is why commercial haulers have to file fuel tax reporting in all states traveled. If I run miles in a state and don't buy enough fuel, based on mpg, I have to pay road usage tax.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:26 AM   #16
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Ok. This is rediculous. I had no problem with JRTJH's original post... His advice is good. Just leave out the word "legal"... because that is spreading mis-information.

Follow his advice because it is sound advice based upon experience.

Leave the legal part out of it. That's all.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:32 AM   #17
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
The GVW is the "bible" you can't go any more than 7200 lbs (and remain legal) ....
Absolutely false.

I can take that same truck and register it for 9000 lbs and take it down the road "legally".

GVWRecommendation
Old 02-16-2013, 08:14 AM   #18
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAD View Post
Absolutely false.

I can take that same truck and register it for 9000 lbs and take it down the road "legally".

GVWRecommendation
SAD, You may find yourself in a serious LEGAL situation should you do that. In Michigan, you can't title and register your vehicle above the GVWR. And should you somehow manage to do that and have an accident, you'd best "HOPE" that the investigating officer "misses" the GVWR tag on the doorsill and only goes by the license plate rating? Not likely that he is that inexperienced, but maybe???? And should he be so inept as to not check the weight rating, you have avoided "CRIMINAL" prosecution. You won't have to pay the $500 fine with a maximum of 93 days of jail time. So are you "off free"?

NOPE: you've still got your insurance company to deal with. They have the option of not paying a claim should you intentionally overload your vehicle and they can prove it contributed to the accident. Really, what happens is that they make a determination to not pay and YOU have to sue them to reverse their decision. That says nothing of the CIVIL "opportunities" you open for any lawyer to introduce a lawsuit in CIVIL court. One of the easiest ways to get a judgement from those 12 peers sitting along the front side of the court is to ask, "Mr, SAD, are you aware that your vehicle GVWR is 7200 pounds. This weight sticker produced by the investigating officer indicates that your actual weight was 8100 pounds. Did you know that you violated your GVWR and as such were driving a known unsafe and overloaded vehicle which hit my client causing damage?"

I don't want to be in that CIVIL situation, however, you have every right to put yourself at risk. I'd further not recommend to anyone on this forum looking for advice, that they should violate any factory weight limit putting them in a situation to be prosecuted based on a potential loophole. In an earlier post, you said, "I'm not saying it's "safe" to do so.... or recommending it do so" with regard to loading above the GVWR, up to the GAWR.

I'm totally satisfied with your statement that it's not safe to do so and would urge others to very seriously consider the same. Bottom line, to stay out of court, DON'T VIOLATE THE GVWR OR THE GAWR

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-16-2013, 09:53 AM   #19
SAD
Permanent User Ban

There's so much wrong with your post, that I'm not going to attempt to address it. Lets just agree to disagree. Have a good day!

Quote:
SAD, You may find yourself in a serious LEGAL situation should you do that. In Michigan, you can't title and register your vehicle above the GVWR. And should you somehow manage to do that and have an accident, you'd best "HOPE" that the investigating officer "misses" the GVWR tag on the doorsill and only goes by the license plate rating? Not likely that he is that inexperienced, but maybe???? And should he be so inept as to not check the weight rating, you have avoided "CRIMINAL" prosecution. You won't have to pay the $500 fine with a maximum of 93 days of jail time. So are you "off free"?

NOPE: you've still got your insurance company to deal with. They have the option of not paying a claim should you intentionally overload your vehicle and they can prove it contributed to the accident. Really, what happens is that they make a determination to not pay and YOU have to sue them to reverse their decision. That says nothing of the CIVIL "opportunities" you open for any lawyer to introduce a lawsuit in CIVIL court. One of the easiest ways to get a judgement from those 12 peers sitting along the front side of the court is to ask, "Mr, SAD, are you aware that your vehicle GVWR is 7200 pounds. This weight sticker produced by the investigating officer indicates that your actual weight was 8100 pounds. Did you know that you violated your GVWR and as such were driving a known unsafe and overloaded vehicle which hit my client causing damage?"

I don't want to be in that CIVIL situation, however, you have every right to put yourself at risk. I'd further not recommend to anyone on this forum looking for advice, that they should violate any factory weight limit putting them in a situation to be prosecuted based on a potential loophole. In an earlier post, you said, "I'm not saying it's "safe" to do so.... or recommending it do so" with regard to loading above the GVWR, up to the GAWR.

I'm totally satisfied with your statement that it's not safe to do so and would urge others to very seriously consider the same. Bottom line, to stay out of court, DON'T VIOLATE THE GVWR OR THE GAWR
Old 02-16-2013, 10:10 AM   #20
JRTJH
Site Team

The original poster, TNCampingDad asked his questions, received a number of responses and has stated that he obtained the answers he needed to resolve his issue. Since he is satisfied with the outcome, this thread is closed.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Closed Thread