Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-17-2012, 02:08 PM   #1
gkerlin

New Montana 3455SA Load Range G Question

Just completed the deal to swap my Little 26' Cougar for a 2012 Montana 3455SA with lots of goodies. I'll pick her up in a few weeks - it's 6hrs from the house.

As part of the purchase I insisted that they upgrade my tires from the E Range to the LT235/85R16G. This tire is listed as an option on the montana website but I'm not sure if you normally have to get the Big Sky Upgrade to get the tire.

The salesperson said that they can just swap the tires and use the existing rims. I know that when I put 80psi maxxis on my cougar that was the max the rim could take. The upgraded load range G tires are 110psi.

Do any of you Montana owners out there know if the stock aluminum wheels on the "Big Sky Upgrade Eligible" units come with wheels that can take 110psi?

I don't want to get down there and look behind the rim and see max pressure is 80psi and have a hassle to deal with.

Other than that DW and me are looking forward to our new home.
gkerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 03:03 PM   #2
mhs4771

I think you should be OK. Our 2010 came with rims rated for 110 PSI. The rims should be stamped on the back side of one of the spokes as to the weight cap and PSI. So when you do pickup your unit, might be worth a quick slide under to look for the rating.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Michelle & Ann Sullivan and 4 American Shorthairs
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 03:46 PM   #3
gkerlin

Gotcha.... Thanks for the reply. That's what I was hoping to hear.

I will of course double check them when I pick it up but the service guy told the sales rep they could handle the G tires.

I'll pick her up in a couple of weeks as I have business that will keep me busy the next couple of weekends.

Then I'll spend the next month or two getting it set up just how I want it. Solar panels for the roof etc. We head out to Arizona and points west this year in May. Will be nice to have the bigger house.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:47 PM   #4
Ron

Hello Gkerlin, We just picked up our new Montana 3 weeks ago and I had asked if they could put G rated tires on it, and they said no that is only available with the Big Sky Package. I am planning on putting the G tire on when we arrive back home just for safety sake. Hope you get what you asked for. Happy Campin............Ron
01 F350 7.3 PSD Crew Cab DRW 4X4 6 Speed/Chipped

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 10:38 AM   #5
gkerlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
Hello Gkerlin, We just picked up our new Montana 3 weeks ago and I had asked if they could put G rated tires on it, and they said no that is only available with the Big Sky Package. I am planning on putting the G tire on when we arrive back home just for safety sake. Hope you get what you asked for. Happy Campin............Ron
Sounds to me like they just didn't want to do it. My dealer made a fuss as well till they realized that I would walk away from the deal if they didn't swap out and give me G tires. Check your wheels... Can they take 110psi? If so then it was just a simple swap of tires. Let me know what your wheels say. I'd be interested to see if they came from the factory ready for G's. The other posters Montana had 110psi wheels.

I can guarantee you that the first thing i'm going to do when I go to close on it will be to climb under and look at the wheels to see the stamp. If they are not 110 wheels it will go time. I'm hopeful however that it will be fine. Supposedly the Shop foreman said it was no problem putting G's on my wheels.
Old 02-18-2012, 03:27 PM   #6
Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkerlin View Post
Sounds to me like they just didn't want to do it. My dealer made a fuss as well till they realized that I would walk away from the deal if they didn't swap out and give me G tires. Check your wheels... Can they take 110psi? If so then it was just a simple swap of tires. Let me know what your wheels say. I'd be interested to see if they came from the factory ready for G's. The other posters Montana had 110psi wheels.

I can guarantee you that the first thing i'm going to do when I go to close on it will be to climb under and look at the wheels to see the stamp. If they are not 110 wheels it will go time. I'm hopeful however that it will be fine. Supposedly the Shop foreman said it was no problem putting G's on my wheels.
Hello Greg: Just got back to the trailer and checked my wheels and yes they are rated at 110 psi. I told my dealear what was the big deal to put the G tire on, just had to roll them over to the trailer when installed at factory but I guess it was just to difficult for Keystone to figure out......dah.....When we traveled through Vegas a few weeks ago, I priced the G tires there, wow couldn't believe the price at Camping World. Still going to change them out when we get home, I always go over kill with just about everything I do. Happy Campin..............Ron

Old 02-18-2012, 03:32 PM   #7
gkerlin

Thanks Ron,

Just curious... how much were the tires at Camping world? It looks like Good Year are the only one making a G rated tire right now.

On my cougar the first thing that I did was get rid of the TowMax D, and put Maxxis E's on them. That put my Gross Weight at about 60% of the tire rated load and I felt good with that Margin.

I figure with the G's on the Montana I will still be around 80%+. I like as much margin as I can get.
Old 02-18-2012, 06:57 PM   #8
Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkerlin View Post
Thanks Ron,

Just curious... how much were the tires at Camping world? It looks like Good Year are the only one making a G rated tire right now.

On my cougar the first thing that I did was get rid of the TowMax D, and put Maxxis E's on them. That put my Gross Weight at about 60% of the tire rated load and I felt good with that Margin.

I figure with the G's on the Montana I will still be around 80%+. I like as much margin as I can get.
Greg: If I remember right the service department told me around $320.00 ea. Since we picked up the trailer on our way to AZ, I will wait to get back home my tire dealear will take trade-ins in the E tire I have and I run Toyo on evertyhing we own so hopefully I can get it in the G tire. Happy Campin.........Ron