Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 01-25-2021, 09:19 PM   #1
paulinri

Check battery water level

I read in this forum that you should check and top off the trailer battery water level monthly. I have a Springdale 1750RD. This is the first time I've heard this. Modern car batteries have been sealed for years. I charge the battery using 15V house current thru the cable with an adapter. Do I have a problem?
paulinri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 03:31 AM   #2
cavie

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulinri View Post
I read in this forum that you should check and top off the trailer battery water level monthly. I have a Springdale 1750RD. This is the first time I've heard this. Modern car batteries have been sealed for years. I charge the battery using 15V house current thru the cable with an adapter. Do I have a problem?
Do you mean 120-volt house current or 15 amp circuit??? The devel is in the details. Look at the battery. If it has removable water caps you must check the water level. If it is a smooth top then the is nothing to look at.
Old 01-26-2021, 04:25 AM   #3
Javi

As a note... most of us don't use auto cranking batteries for our RV, most use Deep Cycle non-cranking batteries.

Big difference in performance
Old 01-26-2021, 07:33 AM   #4
MarkEHansen

Also, to keep the battery charged at home you should make sure you use a true battery maintainer, not a trickle charger (or worse, a direct connection to 15V power). For example, see the DelTran Battery Tender line. They have "smarts" to keep the battery charged without over-charging, among other features.
Old 01-26-2021, 08:02 AM   #5
Ken / Claudia

Checking water level in your RV battery should have been discussed in any maintenance booklets/manuals and or a correct PDI. But, since this is the 1st time your learning about it, just think about an RV like this, it is not like a auto or house at all regarding maintenance.
Yes your right your auto likely has maintenance free batteries. In Rvs, there are some and a great cost, not many have them. Pull the battery cover off and check it. Any caps that are removeable need to be checked for water level. If the level is down to or below the plates in the battery, it is failing now. It may never be 100% again.
BTY, if you want to use the RV camping without shore power even over 1 night get a second battery. You need the extra amps a 2 battery system provides or add solar or a generator to the RV. Batterie(S) should always be replaced at same time. Putting a new battery in with a used one will bring the new one down to the performance of the older one.
Please ask questions on any RV related issue, no one on here will pick on you or should. We or at least most learned the hard way on most RV stuff way before the web was up.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 09:16 AM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

Some batteries have the cell access that's recessed into the top of the battery making it flush. The one in the pic was that way with a large sticker over the caps. I've also seen a large rectangle recessed in the top that must be pried off to access (typically 3 cells).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20201213_132550.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	356.7 KB
ID:	31637  
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 08:26 AM   #7
Lee

.... just to add,.... in case it hasn't been mentioned,... when a battery fluid needs topping off... only use distilled water. Don't use plain tap water.

1970 F250 Highboy 4x4
2013 Cougar 21RBSWE
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, water