Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-04-2020, 10:04 AM   #1
linux3

WDH question. Kinda

Bought a new truck.
A dealer reconfigured my Husky Centerline TS hitch. They are not a Husky dealer, the dealer I bought the TT from is 5 hours away and I've had good luck in the past with the local business.

They screwed up the hitch. I downloaded instructions, grabbed tools and went to a local chuch parking lot and totally reconfigured the hitch per Husky instructions.

Big difference between unloaded and loaded hitch settings.

Fully loaded and ready to depart the front of the TT is 1" higher than the rear.
The truck unloaded measures 39 1/2" at the rear wheel well. TT connected and WDH locked in the measurement is 37 1/2".
The front wheel well is within 1/2" either way.

Instructions say the TT should squat 1" and I'm squatting 2". Frankly it tows just fine.
We just got back from a 1500 mile trip and I was satisfied except 40 MPH wind gusts on I-75 in KY. That was not fun but not white knuckle either.

If I drop the hitch head 1 bolt hole that will drop it 1 1/2" which will give me a bit of nose down on the TT then I can raise the sway bar brackets up one bolt hole and add a touch more weight distribution which will raise the back of the TT.

Or am I just being anal?
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 10:26 AM   #2
mikec557

Well here's my two cents. Yes you may be overthinking this. But it doesn't hurt to try to make it better. I think you have a rivet pin with washers on the head below the ball area. If you lower the head 1.5 inches like you mentioned, dropping the TT a little more than you want it to, try changing the number of washers on the rivet pin to make the ball tilt up, thus riding a little higher to bring the TT up a little.

You can always go back to your original configuration.
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 04:02 PM   #3
Customer1

You have two important issues.
1. the trailer should be level or ever so slightly nose down.
2. the front of the tow vehicle loaded should be about the same as unloaded

Rear sag measurement is meaningless unless you are dragging parts on the ground. Of course the rear sags, it is loaded with a lot of weight.
Old 10-16-2020, 08:19 AM   #4
ewbldavis

The centerline is similar to my Equalizer. The Equalizer instructions stated to measure FRONT wheelwell with no trailer, and with trailer, no equalizing.

Goal was to have level trailer and get 1/2 way between loaded/unloaded measurements. I would think centerline is something similar, but I haven't researched it.

Eddy

2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0L
2020 Cougar 32BHS
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote