Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-26-2020, 11:51 AM   #1
rodgebone

How Does Your Water Heater Anode Look?

After 11 months of continuous full timing from new I decided to check the water heater anode in my Suburban for the first time ever. Was amazed at how bad it was (roughly 50%)...The rule of thumb is once a year but I think I will check/replace mine at 10 months. How's yours look?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200726_122114.jpg
Views:	599
Size:	317.7 KB
ID:	28853   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200726_122125.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	258.3 KB
ID:	28854  
Old 07-26-2020, 12:10 PM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

I wouldn't consider that 30 days post due for a replacement. I've had them look like that and used my bench grinder with a wire wheel to knock the crud off and use it for a few more months. At the cost it's not a big deal but that level of consumption doesn't warrant any urgency in my opinion.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 12:16 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

I’ve seen worse. I think your good for a few more months.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 12:22 PM   #4
QCMan
Gone Traveling

Not bad!

That anode looks fine and normal. I have had some last six months and some last two years. I have found that they tend to last longer when I chase the threads in the tank with a tap before reinstalling the anode in the spring. That being said, no two years of camping are exactly the same. Variable water conditions, variable electrical conditions, variable usage of electric and gas modes all affect life of the anode. We lived in our Starcraft Aruba for seven months and a periodic check showed minimal wear each time. It would appear you have plenty of life left in yours. Our Rockwood Mini Lite ate them up to almost no anode and just the carrier rod left in less than a year of use. There was no long usage on it.
I typically check it when there will be a few weeks until our next trip or every four months, whichever comes first. Fairly easy item to keep tabs of as long as you have a 1 1/16" socket. Just be careful how tight you make it and do not use excess teflon tape as too much can act as an insulator and render the anode useless.
QCMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 12:34 PM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

The use of Teflon tape will not act as an electrical insulator. When the tank has water in it the water will make an electrical bond between the steel tank and the anode. The only thing that has an effect on the sacrificial anode is the mineral content and composition of the water. The power source of gas or electric is has no bearing on how rapidly the anode will "give up" it's material.
Old 07-26-2020, 12:40 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

I always use white thread compound, no need to remember which way to “wind” the Teflon tape.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 02:02 PM   #7
roadglide

The first magnesium Rod lasted one year I think the magnesium leaves too much crap in the tank. I am using the aluminum Rod going on 4 years draining the tank every six months and clean in the rod. Works good for me. The rod on the left looks like aluminum and it looks good in the picture.
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 02:27 PM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadglide View Post
The first magnesium Rod lasted one year I think the magnesium leaves too much crap in the tank. I am using the aluminum Rod going on 4 years draining the tank every six months and clean in the rod. Works good for me. The rod on the left looks like aluminum and it looks good in the picture.
The point of the anode is to dissolve so the tank doesn't. That's why it's called a sacrificial anode. Switching from magnesium to aluminum so that "it lasts longer" defeats that purpose. Magnesium and Zinc anodes are used on boats to protect aluminum propellers and outdrives.

Magnesium creates a higher voltage than aluminum and therefore it dissolves faster than aluminum does. The "crap" in your tank is most likely sediments from the minerals in the water but I'd rather have that in the bottom of the tank vs adhered to the tank itself and corroding it away.

For the small cost of the anode rod I use magnesium hut that's my choice.
Old 07-26-2020, 02:46 PM   #9
dutchmensport

You can probably get another year out of that same rod. When you see 1/2 to 2/3rds bare wire, then it's time. My last camper (Outback travel trailer), I never changed the anode in 5 years. When sold, it still did not show any bare wire. My previous camper, had it for 8 years. I think I changed the rod once.
Old 07-26-2020, 02:51 PM   #10
rodgebone

Greatly appreciate the feedback folks - thats why I come on here. From a newbie point of view it looked bad and I didnt want broken chunks to dig/flush out of the tank but i spoze it could have gone longer in hindsight. The replacement unit I used which is shown on the left is a Suburban Magnesium rod #232767 (the Suburban alloy rod is part #232768) - no clue what the original factory installed rod was made of. Instructions said to replace at 75% or greater wear - mine was way less than that but then I didnt read the instructions as usual maybe 2-3 years for replacement is closer to the ball park. Cheers for the input!
Old 07-26-2020, 03:53 PM   #11
tech740

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
The point of the anode is to dissolve so the tank doesn't. That's why it's called a sacrificial anode. Switching from magnesium to aluminum so that "it lasts longer" defeats that purpose. Magnesium and Zinc anodes are used on boats to protect aluminum propellers and outdrives.

Magnesium creates a higher voltage than aluminum and therefore it dissolves faster than aluminum does. The "crap" in your tank is most likely sediments from the minerals in the water but I'd rather have that in the bottom of the tank vs adhered to the tank itself and corroding it away.

For the small cost of the anode rod I use magnesium hut that's my choice.
This is how I look at it also. No need to replace a water heater if I could just replace the anode more frequently.

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 07:59 AM   #12
ChuckS

Stock OEM anode is magnesium and its what Id stay with.. Id also consider ... since your stationary pulling it every 3 or 4 months and wash out the tank and knock off the junk off the anode and reuse till you think its time to change...

Teflon tape is what I use and have used for decades.. it will not interfere with the function of the anode

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 08:02 AM   #13
ChuckS

Short video from Airexcel that makes the Suburban water heater... quick s8mlle video that should make things clearer...

https://youtu.be/CO3XnDkJ1wU

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 08:43 AM   #14
wiredgeorge

Any country folk on this forum who have an electric water heater know there is an anode rod in their home water heater. The quality of the well water determines how often the anode must be changed and the tank drained (gets crud in it). An anode isn't very expensive. Here is an etrailer article comparing aluminum vs magnesium anode rods: https://www.etrailer.com/question-213087.html
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 09:17 AM   #15
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Any country folk on this forum who have an electric water heater know there is an anode rod in their home water heater. The quality of the well water determines how often the anode must be changed and the tank drained (gets crud in it). An anode isn't very expensive. Here is an etrailer article comparing aluminum vs magnesium anode rods: https://www.etrailer.com/question-213087.html
Most residential water heaters (regardless of fuel source) have the anode vertically in the top of the tank. Often times you cannot remove it in one piece because it will hit the ceiling before the other end clears the hole. You have to take a hacksaw and cut it into sections to remove it. Replacement anodes are sold with the anode in sections mounted to a cable (like sausage links before they are cut) to facilitate installing it without removing the water heater.
Old 07-27-2020, 10:26 AM   #16
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCMan View Post
That anode looks fine and normal. I have had some last six months and some last two years. I have found that they tend to last longer when I chase the threads in the tank with a tap before reinstalling the anode in the spring. That being said, no two years of camping are exactly the same. Variable water conditions, variable electrical conditions, variable usage of electric and gas modes all affect life of the anode. We lived in our Starcraft Aruba for seven months and a periodic check showed minimal wear each time. It would appear you have plenty of life left in yours. Our Rockwood Mini Lite ate them up to almost no anode and just the carrier rod left in less than a year of use. There was no long usage on it.
I typically check it when there will be a few weeks until our next trip or every four months, whichever comes first. Fairly easy item to keep tabs of as long as you have a 1 1/16" socket. Just be careful how tight you make it and do not use excess teflon tape as too much can act as an insulator and render the anode useless.
Never heard of using too much thread tape is a problem!!!
You better use plenty of tape or some type of thread compound on that rod or it will become welded into the threads with rust, that's a problem.
It DOES NOT/WILL NOT affect the effectiveness of the rod.
Water quality has a great deal of effect on the anode rod. I had a RV water softener connected at every spot which really helped the anode rod. I could easily get 2 years use before it looked anywhere near the one pictured.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 01:02 PM   #17
rodgebone

Quote:
Never heard of using too much thread tape is a problem!!!
You better use plenty of tape or some type of thread compound on that rod or it will become welded into the threads with rust, that's a problem.
not to worry...plenty of tape on my rod
Old 07-27-2020, 02:43 PM   #18
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Most residential water heaters (regardless of fuel source) have the anode vertically in the top of the tank. Often times you cannot remove it in one piece because it will hit the ceiling before the other end clears the hole. You have to take a hacksaw and cut it into sections to remove it. Replacement anodes are sold with the anode in sections mounted to a cable (like sausage links before they are cut) to facilitate installing it without removing the water heater.

I have put in three water heaters in my house and all have had horizontal mount anodes. We have very hard water. Actually the first water heater replacement was on New Years Eve quite a few years ago and overpaid a plumbing company to come out and install as they had the water heater on their truck already. Last two water heaters have been designed for hard water environment. It is very difficult to get the anode out as they tend to gall and I use my air impact driver. We would have room to take the anode out at the top, if need be. Also have installed an appropriate electrical receptacle and can swap one out quickly now as we just install a plug on the new water heater and with a little brazing, good to go.

BY THE WAY, water heaters die in a messy manner on holidays!
Old 07-27-2020, 02:57 PM   #19
flybouy
Site Team

Sounds like it might be time to invest in a water softener. I had to replace ours at year 18. Replaced with same high efficiency nat gas (PVC flue) AO Smith unit, ball valves and stainless steel braided lines. That thing will most likely out last me!
Old 07-27-2020, 03:12 PM   #20
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Sounds like it might be time to invest in a water softener. I had to replace ours at year 18. Replaced with same high efficiency nat gas (PVC flue) AO Smith unit, ball valves and stainless steel braided lines. That thing will most likely out last me!

We have a very large water softener and whole house filter system but our water is hard beyond belief. Our well is down 860' I believe and probably would look for better solutions to the hard water issue but the more effective the more pricey. Maybe if the gubbermint gives us a nice fat Covid check as Congress may be getting ready to pull the trigger on...

Tags
heat, heater, water, water heater