Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2020, 08:11 AM   #1
RVEagle

Propane Tanks Bracket Mounting

Recently brought our new TT home from the dealer and while moving a ladder around the front of the trailer I discovered that the propane tanks mounting bracket is not fastened to the A-Frame. I suspect they had to move it to install the hitch brackets and never fastened it back down. I have some 1/4 - 14 X 1 Self Drilling Screws (hex head) on hand. Do you think these would be sufficient to fasten the tank bracket to the A-Frame? I plan on talking to the dealer tomorrow, just thought I'd get some expert opinions here in the meantime. Speaking of Propane Tank mounting, it appears that they may have had to turn the bracket around for propane line routing purposes, resulting in the regulator facing the back (see pic) - do you see any problems (other than convenience) with this setup?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Propane Tanks 2.jpg
Views:	925
Size:	264.1 KB
ID:	26658
RVEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 08:17 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

I have seen the hose/regulator in front and in the rear so that's not an issue. I would take pics and then use the largest self tappers you can so the shoulder of the head covers the slot. IIRC th4e factory uses self tappers with a 3/8' head, that makes it a 5/16 thread?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 09:56 AM   #3
dutchmensport

On my previous travel trailer (Outback), I reversed the propane regulator on purpose. Never a problem. I ran only one tank at a time anyway, kept one completely turned off all the time. So I didn't need to see the green-red indicator. It worked perfectly fine reversed, your's will too.
Old 04-19-2020, 10:11 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVEagle View Post
Recently brought our new TT home from the dealer and while moving a ladder around the front of the trailer I discovered that the propane tanks mounting bracket is not fastened to the A-Frame. I suspect they had to move it to install the hitch brackets and never fastened it back down. I have some 1/4 - 14 X 1 Self Drilling Screws (hex head) on hand. Do you think these would be sufficient to fasten the tank bracket to the A-Frame? I plan on talking to the dealer tomorrow, just thought I'd get some expert opinions here in the meantime. Speaking of Propane Tank mounting, it appears that they may have had to turn the bracket around for propane line routing purposes, resulting in the regulator facing the back (see pic) - do you see any problems (other than convenience) with this setup?

Attachment 26658

Dick, I think you are entirely correct. The brackets for the wd bars required moving the mounting plate for the LP tanks. The issues I see are multiple (from my perspective); 1) that base plate should have been reattached - a failure of the dealership and the tech of which the SM/GM should be aware since that is a safety failure, 2) reversing the regulator is not "right"; trying to "guess" what that red/green gauge says while it points to the back is not what you paid for. I use mine ALL the time because I leave the valves on both tanks open all the time so the regulator can do what it was designed to do - automatically change over removing the chance that I'm up in the middle of the night changing tanks....that the regulator would have done if I had used it, 3) instead of reversing that regulator because the LP line wasn't long enough the dealership should have replaced the line with one long enough to keep the regulator positioned as it was meant to be and I would insist on it.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 10:19 AM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

Danny: not to be argumentative but if the tanks have a cover then it has to come off to see the indicator, and you just have to lean over a bit. As to the length of hose, its not as simple as grab another, and to have one "made to length" would most likely never happen. I have seen the LP hose not inserted in the slot and the OP might be able to do just that to get the regulator facing forward again.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 04-19-2020, 10:35 AM   #6
RVEagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Dick, I think you are entirely correct. The brackets for the wd bars required moving the mounting plate for the LP tanks. The issues I see are multiple (from my perspective); 1) that base plate should have been reattached - a failure of the dealership and the tech of which the SM/GM should be aware since that is a safety failure, 2) reversing the regulator is not "right"; trying to "guess" what that red/green gauge says while it points to the back is not what you paid for. I use mine ALL the time because I leave the valves on both tanks open all the time so the regulator can do what it was designed to do - automatically change over removing the chance that I'm up in the middle of the night changing tanks....that the regulator would have done if I had used it, 3) instead of reversing that regulator because the LP line wasn't long enough the dealership should have replaced the line with one long enough to keep the regulator positioned as it was meant to be and I would insist on it.
Danny, I like the way you think - 'Do the job RIGHT'! Having said that, and based on my experiences with this trailer and dealer, I'm not sure they can do the job right. Yupp, I'm going to let them know about the issues, but I'm looking to use a different dealer to fix the problems when I can't do it myself. I know about some dealers not wanting to work on something they didn't sell - but talking with them indicates they will. (I've got them lined up to look into my front window leak.) With respect to the regulator facing front I operate my tanks one at a time, like 'dutchmensport' so a visual on the gauge is not a big deal. I seldom use the furnace (warm weather camper) so having the tank go dry in the middle of the night is not a concern. But, as you said - it should be right!
Old 04-19-2020, 10:58 AM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Danny: not to be argumentative but if the tanks have a cover then it has to come off to see the indicator, and you just have to lean over a bit. As to the length of hose, its not as simple as grab another, and to have one "made to length" would most likely never happen. I have seen the LP hose not inserted in the slot and the OP might be able to do just that to get the regulator facing forward again.

Not being argumentative at all. My latest experience with a regulator pointed backward was in FL in Feb. The owner had a similar situation, left it like it was and had then mounted some "add on" tank gauges because it was difficult to see the regulator (and it was hard to see without contorting somewhat). Watched him take a propane tank off, go refill it, come back and install it (replacing the cover) then leave to go back to work (worked on a highway repair crew). In about 3-4 minutes watched a lady walking her dog suddenly stop; look around; take a few steps toward the front of the trailer (puffing on a cigarette) then take off running dragging her dog with her and calling out. A fellow in another camper came over but seemed lost so I went out to see what was going on. The owner had reconnected the filled tank and then reconnected the "new" gauge (as he later told me). It screwed into the LP tank then the trailer line screwed onto it. The fitting for the gauge was not top notch IMO and it had began spewing LP after he left due to "wiggle" in the gauge connection. I turned everything off and the owner of the park contacted his wife and she him. When he got there I told him what the issue was and he said he was going to remove "those cheap" gauges he bought because it was hard to read the regulator. I suggested to him that he turn that regulator around as well.

All that said to sort of explain where I come from on the situation. If there is plenty of room to easily read that regulator from the back it might be OK if the owner wants to deal with it. I would rather just unlatch, raise the cover and look at the gauge vs completely remove it, sit it on the ground then move around and lean over to see what it says (but then I'm lazy with a bad back). When things are easy to see and access it will prevent issues like the gentleman in FL encountered I figure (hopefully).

As far as premade vs custom hose length that would be something the OP would have to navigate with the dealership; I would just insist that the product be installed in the manner it was meant to be vs what it was modified to be.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 02:26 PM   #8
NH_Bulldog

Our regulator is facing backwards, and it came that way from the factory. With the tank cover in place you can’t see the indicator anyway, so it isn’t a bother. Our last camper was a hybrid, and once set up, it was impossible to see the indicator regardless of whether it was forward or backwards, so we got used to knowing our usage and knowing when to switch tanks.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab 4x4
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 12:51 PM   #9
RVEagle

Quote:
I have seen the hose/regulator in front and in the rear so that's not an issue. I would take pics and then use the largest self tappers you can so the shoulder of the head covers the slot. IIRC th4e factory uses self tappers with a 3/8' head, that makes it a 5/16 thread?
Chuckster - so back to the size of the bolt question. I took the tanks off the bracket today and lo-and-behold there were the heads from the original bolts. A quick look and they appear to be 1/4" bolts with fender washers and appear to have been wrung off. The body of the bolts are still in the A-Frame. I think I'm going to try 3/8" bolts. I don't know if the original bolts failed due to over tightening, or if they rusted in place and were wrung off when trying to remove them. Looking at where the bracket was originally mounted I'm not sure it was in the way to mount the hitch brackets.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bracket2.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	408.6 KB
ID:	26700
Old 04-20-2020, 02:22 PM   #10
chuckster57
Site Team

I think you’ll be ok using them.

Old 04-22-2020, 07:36 PM   #11
B-O-B'03

Quote:
My regulator was facing aft, from the factory and I turned t around, used a 1 & 1/2 inch hole saw to drill a hole in the tank cover and glued a piece of glass over it... now I can see when it is time to switch tanks, without removing the cover.

-Brian
Old 04-22-2020, 08:09 PM   #12
Logan X

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-O-B'03 View Post
My regulator was facing aft, from the factory and I turned t around, used a 1 & 1/2 inch hole saw to drill a hole in the tank cover and glued a piece of glass over it... now I can see when it is time to switch tanks, without removing the cover.

-Brian
Geez, why did I not think of that. That is going to be my next project. Thanks for the idea.
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 07:18 AM   #13
geeman

4 screws should be fine...if you think not then put in 6.

As for the regulator, simply spin it around to the front. has nothing to do with the plate.

Agreed they probably had to move it or such to install the brackets. Failure on their part. Maybe they will give you something for your troubles...
geeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 11:29 AM   #14
rabbit59

My factory installed self tapers broke off at the frame on about mile 200 from buying brand new in the fall. I dragged both propane tanks 100 yards before I could pull over. My advice: dont use self tapers. Use grade 8 bolts with lock washers. I think with the tanks flexing front and back, they will crack. I notified Keystone of the issue. BTW, my brother in law found one cracked on his. He bought the same cougar 22rbs as us, and it is defective.
rabbit59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 11:32 AM   #15
rabbit59

Also, I used 5/16 grade 8 bolts. I drilled and tapped for them.
Old 05-07-2020, 11:34 AM   #16
rabbit59

RVEagle, you need to call Keystone and let them know about this. Your lucky your tanks stayed on frame!!
Old 05-07-2020, 12:00 PM   #17
Gumby52

I intentionally turned my regulator around to face the back. With the cover in place I couldn't see the regulator and didn't want to have to remove it every time I wanted to check it. I too open both valves so the cross over regulator can do what it's supposed to.
So.... I reversed the regulator, mounted an old (I mean tenting days old) camping mirror on the inside back of the cover at the desired angle with velcro. Now all I have to do is open the top access panel and I can see what the regulator says.

Gary

Gary & Judy
and of course the 2 shelties
2018 Cougar Half-Ton 22RBS
2017 F-250 6.2L
Gumby52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 02:20 PM   #18
Folkie

Angry

We bought a 2020 Cougar 22RBS last December. In January I removed the propane tanks in order to install tank level sensors. Good thing I did because I discovered that 3 of the 4 self-tappers were sheered off! Could have ruined our trip to Florida and done some significant damage/injury if those 30lb tanks fell off.
Folkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 10:17 AM   #19
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVEagle View Post

Attachment 26658
Is that an equalizer hitch I see there, if so you might want to hook it up before you finalize the position of the propane tanks. Especially when turning (you really aren't supposed to but we all do) they might come into contact with the tanks.
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 11:32 AM   #20
RDRAIDR

Please check your mounting fasteners and don't trust what you see.

PLEASE CHECK YOURS and don't Trust the screws the Keystone companies are using. Our 2020 Cougar failed in the exact same manner as posted here; https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...te-147809.html

You can't see the corrosion under the self-tapping screw head. Trust that it was significant on ours as well. I have photos if you need them, but they are similar to what has been posted. Do not trust that just because you see them, they are actually going to hold. Ours fell off the frame while traveling down the highway. Only the gas line held the entire assembly with the trailer until I could pull over and temporarily tie it down. I did the $15 modification using the U-Bolts as posted and added a heavy rubber base under the tanks. Our situation could have ended up a lot worse. I've been around RVs for over 50 years and have seen some cheap stuff, but not with this level of safety concerned. Come on Keystone and companies, you are better than this!
RDRAIDR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mount, propane, rack, tank