Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 11-24-2019, 06:03 AM   #1
ADQ K9

The one?

We have been looking at livable 5th wheels for a while now and thought that we might have to go custom to get what we want. I was going to go to New Horizions and Space Craft with our list of needs and wants to see about having one custom built until we stumbled upon Riverstone 5th wheels. From the aluminum roof trusses to the optional disc brakes with independent suspension I am impressed with the package.
This is the floor plan we are looking at:
https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/fifth...ne/39RKFB/3959
No appliances are in the slides, is a big thing for me as well as no island sink.
The only thing I think it is lacking is a full fiberglass roof. I can live with that. What are your thoughts? I want to try to hit the Seattle RV show in the first week of February to look and see what other options could be out there, but I am pretty sure this is it.
Connected by a Curt 15K WDH W/Sway Control
ADQ K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 07:07 AM   #2
travelin texans

Might look at the Forest River forum on that particular model, probably a better source than here about a completely different manufacturer.
Not that you're not welcome here, but there won't many, if any, with a FR product on a Keystone forum to help with any questions.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 07:38 AM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

Sort of like asking the Ford truck forum if they recommend the new GMC truck.

Good luck with your new trailer search.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 07:51 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Do your research. Strangely I was looking at Grand Design RVs last week and the GM wanted me to look at the Riverstone after we finished with the Solitude. I asked who made it and he replied Forest River. I told him I had never been impressed with Forest River products and he said it was their top of the line and I might like it. The only thing I was impressed with was the price tag that Forest River tacks on them.... BUT, if you are in the market he said they were really trying to move them and would make a "heck of a deal". I wasn't interested but it might give you some benchmarks. The bad thing is the dealer is in Valdosta, GA.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 07:54 PM   #5
ADQ K9

Not looking to pull the trigger fast, every manufacturer has pros and cons. The wealth of knowledge on this form is one reason I am here. Just because its a Forest River product does not necessarily mean that it is junk I understand that a lot of people here are very loyal to Keystone. I am still in the research process. We just haven't found anything in the Keystone line that meets our needs.
Danny, I agree they are pretty spendy., but probably not as much as a New Horizion or a Spacecraft.

Here is a construction video I found
Old 11-24-2019, 08:26 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

I don't think Forest River is junk- just my experiences with them haven't proven them as "fitting" for us as Keystone. GD mysteriously almost mirrors Keystone floorplans in many of their models right down to the model numbers (almost). If you're willing to spend on a custom built RV then, no, the Riverstone is not that expensive. As I said, when you are reaching into that realm I would just recommend doing a lot of research and it seems you are. Good luck on your quest.
Old 11-25-2019, 05:47 AM   #7
Fishsizzle

They look very nice. Interesting the aluminum sides are not welded, but bonded with adhesive and screwed with brackets. This seems ahead of its time. Automotive industry seems to have gone to more and more adhesive in construction.

I need to re-watch as I didn’t quite catch what the cabinets are made from..

I’m confused about Grand design and their pricing and quality. They are expensive, but they don’t seem any better built than others.

Anyway, I know your experience with researching here will help you in your quest to search throughly to understand what your up against with any brand.
2020 F350 Crew DRW 6.7, 4x4, 10 sod auto, 4:10 gears
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 06:18 AM   #8
77cruiser
Gone Traveling

I had a Forest River before I got the Keystone. FR was worse than the the Keystone. We had it one year, then traded it.
This was what we had.
https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/fifth...f/265DBH8/3129
77cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 08:11 AM   #9
SummitPond

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
<clip> GD mysteriously almost mirrors Keystone floorplans in many of their models right down to the model numbers (almost). <clip>
Aren't the principals of GD former Keystone upper management?

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 08:44 AM   #10
flybouy
Site Team

I do like to listen to Sam Elliott's voice.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 09:10 AM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummitPond View Post
Aren't the principals of GD former Keystone upper management?
Yes, they were although I believe Winnebago now owns GD. I just thought it odd that the model numbering system so closely followed that used by Keystone as best I could tell - although it is one of the most intuitive numbering schemes I've seen.
Old 11-25-2019, 12:02 PM   #12
Tbos

I’ll have to watch the video again but it seems the Riverstone uses many of the same manufacturing techniques as the Cedar Creek which is also a FR product. While these techniques are different it doesn’t necessarily make them better. I do like the disc brakes. They are now an option on Montana too.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 08:04 PM   #13
ADQ K9

Scanned the FR forums for River Stone, seems like most of the issues are minor and have been taken care of with relative ease. Will have to do more research.
Winnebago owns GD bu they operate some what independently from what I understand. Winnie also owns a boat line if I remember right.
New Horizions also has a couple construction videos but not as professional. Part 1 should link to Part 2
Old 11-26-2019, 08:48 AM   #14
travelin texans

One drawback to the New Horizons or some other of the other custom built RVs is you'll need more truck than a F350 or 3500 dually, you're getting into real truck weights. Even some of the DRV Suites line are beyond 1 ton dually range also.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 09:59 AM   #15
moodman

I think this model is a fine unit. I have always liked Riverstone, although I own a Montana, which is my 4th 5th wheel. I have owned Forest River products, and thought their quality was sub par. But Riverstone stands out from the FR crowd, at least from what they SAY they do! So what are you using to tow it? It's a heavy beast, and will need lots of HP. Finally, do you have a budget? If so, what is your top dollar number?
Old 12-01-2019, 02:14 PM   #16
ADQ K9

Moodman, budget for the trailer is easy to set if it is like a FR, GD or Keystone product. I think it is harder to set for a custom like a New Horizion or Spacecraft due to the fact you choose all the interior materials that can vary in price.The mass produced are going to have discounted deals by dealers as are the custom are as built per order. I am looking at at least a 450 if not a 550 or possibly a Sport Chassis for a TV. I don't want to spend more than $200K on the combo but that is not top dollar. It will be a secondary residence after all
As I said before I am still in the research stage so there a lot of options that are still open.
Old 12-01-2019, 04:09 PM   #17
moodman

Understood. A thing to consider also (but I'm sure you have) is the R value of walls. I know some companies boast about wall thickness, and that is an important issue if you are full timing. But that narrows selection down even more. Also, consider whether luan plywood is used in the walls, since if it gets wet, it can contribute to mold growth. Azdel is popular for that reason.
Finally, think about resale value. Custom units are going to be hard to resell since their residual value will not be close to what you paid. Dealers don't know what to do with a custom unit as far as pricing, so if you traded it in, you won't get the same kind of dollar for dollar you might in a "regular" unit, since there is no "blue book" they can refer to. But if you are going to keep it forever, then no problem! Good luck. Come back to this thread and let us know what you finally get.
Old 12-01-2019, 04:15 PM   #18
ADQ K9

Eventually it will happen. Right now we are about 24 to 36 months out so the end result may be totaly different than what the vision is now.
Old 12-01-2019, 04:22 PM   #19
tech740

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADQ K9 View Post
Not looking to pull the trigger fast, every manufacturer has pros and cons. The wealth of knowledge on this form is one reason I am here. Just because its a Forest River product does not necessarily mean that it is junk I understand that a lot of people here are very loyal to Keystone. I am still in the research process. We just haven't found anything in the Keystone line that meets our needs.
Danny, I agree they are pretty spendy., but probably not as much as a New Horizion or a Spacecraft.

Here is a construction video I found
We have a forest River Sandpiper. It had been back to forest river (yes in Indiana) twice since I bought it in June. Structure wise no issues yet. They just cant put slides in the center of the hole or get showers or toilets to seal. They build a nice looking unit but make sure you stay on top of checking everything out and watch for any little issue during warranty. We have had everything from a floor joint heaving to a slide pulling off a wall..

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 09:30 AM   #20
mikz86ta

I've looked at Spacecraft online and seen New Horizons in person at the Tampa RV show.
NH are very heavy units for their given size....but the floors, real wood, etc are what makes them that way. Bear in mind the tow vehicle you will need for those.
SC look just like the build of NH, so i expect the same tow vehicle needs.

I don't personally like Forrest River. Tho Keystone, Heartland, etc are companies that take shortcuts and miss alot of QC stuff, I see more degraded FR products that are not as old. A neighbor had a Riverstone and he full timed. He liked it, and it looked very nice. But no real detail on his likes and frustrations to share.

Grand Design has excellent customer care and seem a bit above Keystone and Heartland. But not by alot IMO.

Check out VanLeigh RV. We have 2 neighbors..on with the mid level Pine Crest and the other has the upper end Vilano. The Vilano is very nice and so far they are very happy. They full time as well and had a Prime Time before.....PT is junk for the record. But VanLeigh is owned by Tiffin
mikz86ta is offline   Reply With Quote